PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sllim

Lurker
Jan 25, 2016
I am entirely new to this and I've been wondering what would be a good pipe to start off with. I've already done some research and looked at some blogs like DublinTheDam on YouTube and now I have a basic idea of pipes and tobacco. Money really isn't a problem here but I don't want to spend anymore than $100 on a pipe if something just as good for a cheaper price will do. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
For the 100 and under range it's very hard to beat a Savinelli and also grab a couple Missouri meerschaum corn cobs.

webbie

Lurker
Jan 28, 2015
Try a few MM cobs and see what you think. Cobs are a good place to start. Cheap, smoke good, and require little if any rest. If you want to spend some more money buy different styles of tobacco to see what you like.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
Welcome!
fitzy is spot on: You can find very nice pipes under $100, with Savinelli being a well regarded brand here. Some things to keep in mind:
- This is a hobby full of choices; Enjoy. There is no "perfect" pipe, the game is finding the perfect pipe for you... and then the next perfect pipe... and the next...

- Many of us will share preferences as part of our recommendations. I'd send you to get a Peterson, for example. Others will definitely say your first one has to be a cob. Pick and choose.

- There's a ton of folklore to enjoy. Remember than for the most part, stats are on your side; Any $100 pipe you choose from an established manufacturer is likely to work well for you.
Once you get it you are eligible to join the "Cake Happens" club, which is to say, there are many more things ahead for you to experience :)

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
The biggest advice anyone can give is to just enjoy yourself and focus on the basics. Learn to pack your pipe, be patient, find a tobacco or tobaccos you enjoy and the rest will come with time. Pleasure to have you here!

bubble-pipe-8.gif

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Savinelli is a good suggestion. Also take a look at pipesandcigars selection of Stanwells. They have a wide selection, some of the brushed black or brown series "as low as" $49.99, a good deal, but a good substantial smooth smoking pipe too. Fancier ones too, as you please. Missouri Meerschaum cobs are a must, and a good way to have a rotation of pipes. You'd want a cob sooner or later anyway. Also take a look at Old Dominion cobs with reed stems, both good smokers and great historical traditional pipes. On tobacco, I advise buying in small quantities for the first year or two. Even if you like something very much, your tastes will change and develop. Save even blends you don't like in canning jars -- you may come back to blends and like them. Most of all, enjoy -- that's the whole idea.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
If I was starting out, knowing what I know now, I would buy one Savinelli, one MM cob and one popular mom-exotic tobacco. I'd avoid aromatics, because they smell great, but they tend to be harder to smoke.
I made things way too difficult on myself. I was trying to learn to smoke with dozens of different tobaccos, all of which smoked differently. I wanted to spend money on tobacco, so I bought a succession of cheap pipes, all of which smoked differently. It took me six months before I could ever smoke without tongue bite, and another six months before I could smoke CONSISTENTLY without tongue bite.
Apparently, most people aren't as dumb as me, but it's got to be harder to learn 20 things than one or two.
Collecting dozens of different pipes, and sampling hundreds of tobaccos keeps pipe smoking fresh and exciting, but it's a hard way to learn the basics of "how to smoke a pipe."

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Definitely go for a briar pipe, here are a few I think would work for you. I would only go for Italian pipes as they have the more open draw which allows the pipe to smoke nice and dry.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/mastro-de-paja/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=170563

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/mastro-de-paja/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=170561

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=194964, you can toss the filter and it smokes great without it.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Yes, they are great. I have one Pipe of the Year 2006 and I have my eye on a couple of other vintage pipes of the year as well.

Mine smokes great, but it is my only Mastro so far.
I'm loving this bulldog: https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/mastro-de-paja/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=161787
Cheers,
J

robertelliott

Lurker
Nov 5, 2012
:puffpipe:OH THE FUN BEGINS !

GET A GOOD QUALITY PIPE, MY PREVENCE WOULD BE A STANWELL.ALSO

2 MM COBS. TOBACCO ? THIS IS WHERE YOU CAN HAVE ALOT OF FUN !

TRY SAMPLERS 2OZ. ETC. DO A VARIETY TILL YOU FIND WHAT YOU LIKE.

THE KEY IS TO BE PATIENT , IN TIME YOU WILL FIND YOUR GROVE .

TIPS: PIPE TOOL, PIPE LIGHTER OR WOODEN MATCHES ALSO STICK A PIPE

CLEANER DOWN THROUGH YOUR PIPE STEM INTO THE BOWL. KEEP IT THERE

TILL YOU WANT TO SMOKE THE REMAINDER TOBACCO IN YOUR PIPE.

THE PIPE CLEANER ABSORBS THE MOISTURE AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR PIPE.

I WISH YOU THE BEST ! ROBERT ELLIOTT

Status
Not open for further replies.