PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
There was a thread last week about Medico pipes which started me searching on ebay for a suitable example of a good Medico pipe. Among all the listed Brylon hords I saw a "Medico Conquistador", a model I had never heard of. I examined the murky photographs supplied by the seller and was not enlightened at all as to the true make and model. Here's an example:
bigpipebefore_zpsa5bbea45.jpg

Can't really tell the size of the pipe from that either. I thought maybe it could be a Custombilt. Anyway, I offered my six dollar bid and won. Today I've been working to take off what must be 60 years of grime, cake and tar. Here it is now:
giantpipe00_zpsf331ff8f.jpg

Unfortunately there are no identifying marks at all on the pipe. Only this "Imported Briar" stamping.
giantpipe01_zps408b8c96.jpg

This is by far my biggest straight pipe yet. It's also the heaviest at 2.8 ounces. It's 6 1/4 inches long and the bowl height is 2 inches.
I'm pretty sure this pipe was made in America, probably in the 1940s or 50s. Tomorrow it will have its first light in a lot of years!
giantpipe02_zps1d720bdb.jpg

I'd like to see your jumbo pipes!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good restoration. My largest pipe (sorry no pics, or no pic posting skill) is a Johs apple, which is semirusticated,

1/4 bent, and about the size of this pipe. The bowl might actually be a little larger. I like extra large pipes,

and small Group 1 and 2, to go along with mostly medium. They all serve a good purpose in turn. I was won over

by small pipes last, but now I enjoy them too.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I have had a few Kaywoodie Hand Made pipes like that. 40s-50s is right on. A lot of companies made similar pipes. Custom Bilt and Tom Howard come to mind.
I had a Kaywoodie push stem (WWII) that was so big I could have used it as a maul. Couldn't clench it at all so I sold it.
I have a nice oversize bent billiard that I like a lot. 6" from bit to bowl leading edge and 2.25" tall.
KaywoodieHandMadeBigBill_zps8818c207.jpg

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
Those are beautiful. Here are my giants.
giants-600x449.jpg

Back Row: Butz Choquin; Radice GG Clear; Unknown- stamped only as Imported Briar.

Front Row: Has the initials IS and Made in Denmark, possibly a Preben Holm second; Front Right has no markings, but could be Preben, Nording or Wade second.

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
I have a Kosmos Giant it's straight with what can be described as a tall chimney bowl. A good smoker but not an excellent smoker.

Another is my Mauro Armellini "Europa" and then my Savinelli Estella 515 EX.

The latter two are excellent smokers and are pictured in my thread "eBay Wins"

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
My jumbo pipes…from top:

Racine de Bruyere

Tower of London

Ferndown Bark

American by Curt Rollar

giantpipes_zps48382488.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.