PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
Guys & Gals,
Have a brand new pipe that I bought this month, Every time I attempt to clean the pipe with Brebbia pipe polish or even saliva the reddish finish comes on a rag. Does anyone have possible idea what's causing this? I contacted the manufacturer and seller. No replies as of yet. I'm withholding the brand and seller because both are reputable and I don't want to turn folks off cause of my poor luck.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Some red finishes seem to do that, at least they did on one of my Petersons.

riptide

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
My Peterson did that for a bit I think the dye was still wet when they waxed it at least that is what the Peterson rep said it might be when I asked at a pipe sale. it did stop and the color is still good. I hope your will do the same.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I've noticed that with red pipes too - even the ones we've stained here. The reds and purples seems to bleed off for a disproportionate amount of time compared to the browns and yellows. They don't seem to fade off the pipe, it's just more excess dye comes off. I'd say you're fine unless the actual pipe is losing color or a layer of varnish.

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
Not difficult to fix finish in a pipe.Remove wax find the correct color tone with alchol aniline then re-paint the pipe gently with some cotton inside of a piece of tissue (don't use a paint-brush) apply the aniline turning the tissue always in the same direction and pay attention that the new stain don't leave spots on briar.Then with a buffin' wheel re-wax with carnauba.I have done that with some estate Castello trade mark and now are like new

maurizio

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Red aniline dye just does that, in my experience. Its microcrystalline structure seems to be small enough to work its way through carnauba, shellac, lacquer, and even a coat of polyurethane. I'd recommend you just wipe it very clean & dry with a terry cotton cloth, then re-apply several coats of wax.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I've found the same thing. Fear not...The pipes will look wonderful for the rest of your life if properly cared for. Consider the old school use of an olive oil rub following every cleaning. Let your pipes continue to evolve and love 'em like they were family members.

Status
Not open for further replies.