PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
I have a Karl Eric pipe that has what appears to be a "natural", polished finish. Have an inexpensive Big Ben pipe that is super shiny and has what appears to be an artificial grain pattern. From a bit of research on the site, I would gather that super shiny, artificial grain-patterned pipes are not the ideal from a finish standpoint. But, and particularly when looking at sellers on web sites or on ebay, is there a rule-of-thumb on how to tell what to avoid? I guess I am asking if one can tell if a pipe has been varnished and/or painted to look like fancy grain? Guess an obvious solution would be to ask the seller, and hope the seller knows. Also guess another obvious solution is look at the pipe in a brick & mortar as opposed to buying on line. Advice appreciated!

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
I apologize for "branching out" with my question, but are their brands that do not use sealed finishes on their pipes? Or brands that always do use sealed finishes? In other words, general guidelines as to which to seek out and which to avoid?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a pipe or two where the "grain," on closer inspection, seems to be at least partly brush strokes of

stain. Some of you may be saying, serves him right, the cheapskate, since I a something of a booster for

the working-man-priced pipes. However, a number of my sealed pipes have worked out well. Some stay

perpetually sealed but seem to breathe and smoke as good as any of my unfinished or non-sealed finished

pipes. Others lose some of the seal that rubs off with wear and cooks off somewhat. I like blasts a lot, but

they seem to be mostly quite heavily sealed, and still smoke well. I'm ambivalent. I respond to the instinct

not to buy sealed pipes, but in my experience, sealed pipes can be quite good.

Status
Not open for further replies.