PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

illius

Lurker
Mar 17, 2010
Hey everyone, I have a quick question. I do not have the money to buy pipe filters and have ben making my own paper filters for a while now. They work good so far, I was thinking of making some more But Im thinking of making them with apple wood. I do not know too much about apple wood, I plan on using apple wood dust. I was going to grind me some up, I would then wrap the dust tightly in a part of a coffe filter and roll the coffe filter with a little bit of paper and seel the out side. My question is do I need to clean the dust? or can I use it straight from after I produce the AW dust. I wouldnt think it would matter too much but its better to be safe. Also my main reason for doing this would be to gain a bit of the natrual apple wood taste, as the smoke would be passing through the dust. Would this alter the tobacco taste too much or would this be a good idea for a filter?

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
Or you could stop using Pipe Filters and that would solve all your problems.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I have no clue how to make filters or how to answer your question.
I suggest doing as Ghost45 says and stop using the filters when you can't buy them. You don't need them anyway as pipe smoke shouldn't be inhaled.
If you do try the apple wood in the filters, let us know how it works out.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Illius, welcome to the forums! If you're bound and determined to make filters -- and at that, filters that impart a flavor -- I wouldn't use a sawdust, I would grind the apple wood in a (clean) pencil sharpener, which should suffice for your purposes.
BTW, a tastier (and easier) alternative would be an apple flavored aromatic. There's also Altadis Bulk Blue Ridge Apple, an English style blend uniquely flavored with an apple scent. And also consider Kentucky Club Mild, as reviewers often describe its scent as apple-like.
Good luck with your project! Let us know what you decided to do, and how it goes.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I agree that you should do away with the filter. I would not recommend Creating saw dust as a means to filter tobacco smoke, But if you would like to try it knock yourself out. In my opinion it just sounds like a bad idea, what if the paper rips? You get a mouth full of saw dust, or better yet inhale it.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
...on second thought, I completely agree with sapo.

You can get a box of 10 filters, about a one month supply, for 70¢.

Saving that kind of money is just not worth the effort and risk to your personal safety.

If taste is the primary issue, give the tobacco suggestions above a try using a commercially available filter.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
I can't be entirely certain on this one (since my Japanese is a little rusty...lol), but it sorta looks like he is using 'baccy as a filter. No?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPt1EwWWTCM

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
http://www.drphilipspipe.com/ This is'nt a homemade filter but I've never seen a pipe w/ a filtering system like this. Anybody ever heard of this pipe before if so how's it smoke ? Sorry to get off topic a little but i didn't want to start a new post just for this.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I buy 9mm charcoal filters 200 at the time. I can't afford them, but I find a way. My kids are buying me some for my birthday. I do save quite a bit on pipe cleaners.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
My question is filter related, so here goes....my Quiet Comrade pipe takes a 6mm filter. And yes, I know that I don't inhale, and that 90% of all pipe smokers don't use them, but, how often do you replace the filter? After every smoke? Every other bowl?
At this point, I want to keep using them, I want to catch as much of that nasty stuff as I can and enjoy the aroma.
Thanks in advance

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
How long a filter lasts partly depends on the filter itself and the type of tobacco it is filtering. If it is a heavily cased aromatic, it is going to need replacing faster than a Virginia tobacco. But generally they only last for a couple of smokes (1-4). When the flavor changes, change the filter.
Hobie, try smoking one bowl without the filter in and see if you get more flavor from the tobacco. In my experience, I find that the filter doesn't let the full flavor of the blend come through. But as long as you're enjoying the smoke, that is all that matters. With or without the filter.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I agree with Bob. I would say that a dry English blend would last 2 smokes. I don't inhale either, but I have Bronciectasis, so I use a 9mm filter just for safety sake.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
well, I found out that the filter internal passages get black looking after the 3 bowl of tobacco, so I'll use that as my reference for filter changes.

josephpaul

Lurker
Jun 11, 2010
I smoked some Japanese cigarettes that had a charcoal filter as opposed to a paper filter. I bet if you bought some activated charcoal from an aquarium store you could roll that into a coffee filter or tea bag and that'd work.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I would think that just about everyone has heard of the salt and alcohol treatment for pipe bowls. When I tried it I found that the salt presented clean-up problems of its own. Has anyone ever considered using activated charcoal instead of salt?

birdy

Lurker
May 19, 2010
I have to change my filters every two to three bowls as they got really wet!

Logically speaking, smoke going through filters should have blocked some of its flavours, but ironically' i just find that my tobac tasted better with filters.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hi Birdy!
That may be due to getting a drier smoke because the filters are absorbing so much moisture. Just by coincidence, Hearth & Home's tobacco blender Russ Ouellette has a new article that suggests that less moisture probably improves the smoking experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.