Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Pipe Filter Or No Pipe Filter .That, is The Question.

(31 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by dunendain
  • Latest reply from colorduke
  1. dunendain

dunendain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I first started smoking a pipe, I sometimes used the little, hollow paper filter that came with my Dr. Grabow, and sometimes I didn't. It did not seem to make a difference. My first few pipes I purchased after the Dr.G were filterless, so I forgot about those filters. Later, I ordered a Bjorne Viking on the internet, and it was a 9mm filter model. After smoking with the charcoal filter, I really liked it. I liked it a lot. The reasons were: I found that I never had to use a pipe cleaner while smoking, to absorb moisture. My pipe never gurgles when smoking even the most heavily cased blends. I believe the draw, being a little heavier, helps me puff slower. My pipe doesn't seem to heat up as much. That, helps me get less tongue bite.
    Even though I still use my Churchwarden and Aldo Velanis without filters, I find that blends taste the same. I still get the nuances of each blend.
    I have never known another American smoker, who uses a 9mm filter, but I read that over 90% of German pipe smokers use them. Of course, it's all about: To each his own. I do save money on pipe cleaners, but those charcoal filters cost money. I am not a filter salesman. Any thoughts?

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. whiskeymick

whiskeymick

Login to Send PM

Never use 'em Mick - My new salvineli came with a strip of triangular balsa wood filters - went straight in the bin! (the filters that is - not the pipe!)

The national lottery is a tax on hope!
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Mick, I like the filters for one reason, they help keep the "slurp" down... nothing worse than getting a bunch of tobacco sour in the mouth... I also like a straight stem and they tend to "slurp" a little more than a bent... In my opinion...

I have also found that they keep the very fine tobacco from coming up the stem...

That's my half cent's worth...

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. dunendain

dunendain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is true Phil. I am somewhat of a "wet" smoker, and the filter absorbs the spittle, so that it doesn't come back up. It really helps with moist tobaccos, as well.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Well said, that's what I like about Grabow's and Cob's...

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. python

Bob

Would Smoke Rabbits if He Could Keep them Lit

Login to Send PM

I never use them. I can't say why I don't as I've never given them a chance. I just thought that they had to rob some of the flavor from the tobacco.

Maybe I will give them a fair try one of these days.

"When the Government Fears the People, There is Liberty;
    When the People Fear the Government, There is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
    Posted 4 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

No flavor robbing that I have ever notices and they are nothing like a cigarette filter... Like Mick and I said, they help with the moisture and I think they help keep the small particals from traveling to the mouth.

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. pipegangster

pipegangster

Login to Send PM

I used them when I first started out. I did find that the taste of the tobacco was dimished a lot and don't use them any longer. I too smoke wet sometimes and will throw a balsa filter into one of my Savys. I find the balsa does not change the taste of the baccy much at all.

LEGALIZE FREEDOM!
    Posted 4 years ago #
  9. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I have a Brigham, which uses a wooden tube (maple) that resides in the stem, and, BTW passes a pipe cleaner with ease. It's really a pretty good smoker, and I don't notice any reduction in flavor -- just a cool dry smoke. I don't use it very much because I don't like messing with the soppy, dirty filter tubes between smokes. It's my understanding that filtered pipes are popular in Europe and, if Brigham's commercial success is any indication, in Canada too.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 4 years ago #
  10. bassem

bassem

Login to Send PM

About 50% of my pipes are 9mm filter and I find that I get a smoother smoke with the filter than without. The flavor remains however filters usually tend to absorb the moisture which is kind of annoying if it gets in the mouth. Additionally I agree that you do not use a pipe cleaner during the smoke, but it is recommended for cleaning after you put the pipe to rest.
    If you buy a pipe with filter, there is a small adapter (plastic) that you can insert in the mouth piece if you prefer to smoke the pipe without the filter and usually this is given free of charge when you purchase the pipe.
    With or without, pipe smoking is definitely a pleasure

Whatever with the past has gone, the best is yet always to come
    Posted 4 years ago #
  11. admin

Kevin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

I do not use the filters myself, but it seems many of you guys enjoy them.

As dunendain said, "To each his own".

I have also read that filters are more popular in use outside of the US.

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 4 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

mrsmokeyman

Login to Send PM

i reckon that filters keep more moisture in teh shank than should be there... not to mention turbulence.

if you arent inhaling, why would you need a filter?

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. dunendain

dunendain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The filter keeps the stem dry during the smoke. I uses pipe cleaners on my pipes after the smoke. At the end of the night, any pipe that I smoked during the day, gets a pipe cleaner soaked in whiskey.
    The filters are not generally sold for inhalers.

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. dunendain

dunendain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All Vauen pipes, come with the 9mm filter. Their website tells how and why, Mr. Vauen invented it. http://www.vauen.de
    I really like their pipes. I will hopefully, be getting one for my birthday.

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. maxpeters

maxpeters

Login to Send PM

I have a Brigham Voyageur shape #184 comming to me this week. My first Brigham, although I have wanted to try one for several years now.
    I have several Savinelli's that take 6mm balsa filters. I usually don't use the filter unless I am travelling. They are convenient because you don't need to carry pipe cleaners around with you all the time. One less thing to pack when travelling lite.
    Can't wait to get the Brigham. It uses a completely different system than Savinelli.

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have never had the inclination to use filters.
    I have 2 pipes that can accommodate them, my c'cob and a Jobey Sunburst.
    It may be the reason I don't smoke them much, because they need the filter.
    Hmmm, have to think about that.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 4 years ago #
  17. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am just the opposite!! All but two of my smokers,an Alpha and a handmade given to me by a friend at SF are filter pipes.I smoke like a freight train and find that the filters help to keep my tongue from getting cooked!!

Posted 4 years ago #
  18. dunendain

dunendain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I found the same thing happened to me. Once I started using the 9mm filter, I almost never got bitten. Also, the smoke is drier.

The thread was meant to be about 9mm filters. Not the little Dr.Grabow, or Medico paper filter.

Posted 4 years ago #
  19. titanicexplorer

titanicexplorer

Login to Send PM

I found the filter really dulls the taste- I tried without the filter, and the smoke was 100 times better. I don't get the filter- it's as silly as a filtered cigar- If you need a filter, then don't smoke at all..but to each their own I suppose.
    I only smoke about 2 bowls a night.
    Although my tounge does get cooked at timnes- Mabey Im just smoking too hot..

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. viceroy

viceroy

Login to Send PM

i love the balsa filters. i put them in my cobs, and it they work great

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fil..ter?... What a strange word?

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. unclearthur

unclearthur

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dinna ken that filter word?

If at first you don't succeed you are running about average.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  23. htmn246

htmn246

Login to Send PM

I have a Vauen churchwarden and threw away the filter maybe I should reconsider.

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

lagavulin92

Login to Send PM

The filter reduces the flavour intensity and the proportionate amount of condensate and a lot of the acid. That's why filters are good for smoking aromatics thoughtlessly. No tongue burn and no gurgle.

When you smoke English blends, filters are not only unnecessary, but also detrimental. You lose the nuances of a pure tobacco.

A lot of Germans and Austrians and of the Swiss smoke with filter because they are scared of the "dangers", but the toxic level is in truth the same because they smoke bigger bowls and stronger tobaccos. No European pipe smoker would smoke 1Q Lane regularly because it would be way too mild in their filter pipes.

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. titanicexplorer

titanicexplorer

Login to Send PM

Filters inhibit the flavor (for me)
    i suppose the only value of the filter is for health reasons, but I figure if Im going to smoke a pipe, I might as well enjoy it and get the full flavor

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. marmal4de

marmal4de

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like open draws, and full flavours, I always figured pipe filters would impede both of those aspects.

In a society that has destroyed all adventure, the only adventure left is to destroy that society.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    Posted 3 years ago #
  27. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I get so much mileage outta this cartoon, I just gotta post it one more time.

Marketing pioneer Daniel Boone Savinelli with an early focus group.

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Earth: The Insane Asylum of the Universe. Nowhere else could things be more messed up.

Does a culture based on separation and competition, of scientific sophistication and mideval religion, offer happiness even as it ravishes the Earth that sustains it?
    Posted 3 years ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

westcoastrich

Login to Send PM

I have some pipes besides my cobb's that take filters, I like them, helps reduce tongue bite, ( I am a hard puffer ) they doesn't seam to reduce flavor. I just purchase some Bringham filters for my non-filter regular pipes, I haven't tried them yet but I will post about them when I try them a few times.

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brigham rock-maple filters are not normal 6mm filters - they are 5mm diameter, with a 6mm tapered metal "stinger" at one end; in addition, they are almost twice as long as the paper filters (Medico etc.), so they will require some modification to use in (non-Brig) filter pipes. It does work though, I've trimmed a couple down for use in straight cobs, where the open draw is just an invitation for a mouth full of bits.

In addition to being able to pass a pipe-cleaner, they also offer the bonus of being re-useable; they (Brigham) suggest you can rinse the filter out after each use, but really, I haven't noticed any ill effects on filter inserts with 20+ smokes through them (with nothing more intensive than a quick swab with a pipe cleaner) - infact, just the opposite, I find they get better after a few smokes.

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. colorduke

colorduke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prefer to use filters,i'm a heavy smoker and they keep the crap outa my mouth,other's don't like them,i say to each there own.

I will give up my pipe when they pry my cold dead fingers off of it!
    Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cosmicfolklore, tbradsim1, michiganlover, peckinpahhombre, flakyjakey, coalsmoke, judcole, petes03, retrogasm, tinpan, eightywon, mrenglish, klause, gamxiaoyuan