PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
I've got to stop perusing SmokingPipes.com, I keep falling in love with another pipe!

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
You don't. It consumes you until you become a pipe in your preferred shape, consumed by the soft, squishy pillows of your favorite easy chair.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
In nearly thirty years, I've gotten up to 112 pipes with no sign of stopping.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cure? Probably not. Apply the brakes slightly? Try cleaning your way through your pipe rack(s); this only works if you have at least 30 pipes. Divert the impulse by studying tobaccos. Try carving your own pipe, with a pocket knife. That might slow you down a week. Each time a pipe snags you, look at your pipes and find the one that serves the same purpose best. See a discount sale? Shut off your computer immediately.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
The force is strong with this one! I must resist, at least until payday :)
chasingmembers, how do you count them? I only have 6 and I'm think that's too many, nahaaa

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Start looking at tobacco at half the price of the pipe. Then justify the purchase to yourself and buy it...

overtillI-have-all_zps6yikq5mk.jpg

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
You can do a lot worse in life with money than to buy pipes! Just curious though, has anyone ever heard of a case of a home broken into and a big collection of pipes stolen? Do you need to keep them locked up? Buy a guard dog? Do thieves take them or do they just pass them by as worthless? I mean, who would want a dirty ol' pipe?
Unless the thief was a pipe smoker. :mrgreen:
Same goes with a big cellar full of tobacco.
Any need to insure these? Keep a motion detector on them or call your insurance agent and take out a special policy?
Anyone ever report any problems in these areas?

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
has anyone ever heard of a case of a home broken into and a big collection of pipes stolen?

We've heard several tales of woe by members who had their pipes stolen. Crackheads will grab anything. Tobacco too, I'm sure.
Being broke helps me fight the PAD. Not the best strategy methinks.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Atjurhs:Me too, very much the same, firtly I was thinking 7-8 pipes is sufficiently taken my moderate tobacco consumption,but there we go,during the very few months I'm been keeping purchashing all the new ones thinking this very special model would suit best for this and that tobacco,would fit better for those activities than the previous one what I already got and now am in number of 15 noticing that each of these pipes are getting very few bowls smoked during a week,but so far I'm feeling Ok with this,now I need to find a new pipe rack, most my pipes are classic shaped staraight Billard-Canadiand apart form 2-3 half bents.for the time being I'must to stop buying and exploring smokingpipes web page,shaping up myself

Just curious though, has anyone ever heard of a case of a home broken into and a big collection of pipes stolen?

Pipes have been reported stolen that were in backpacks left in cars, or in things that were stolen, but most likely the pipes were tossed out in a search for something of value. Pipes also left on desks at work have been reported missing, or from their endtables, which turned up to just be misplaced. One guy had his guns stolen out of his home, but not a single pipe was touched.
Nope, nope, nope, no one wants our dirty nasty pipes. While we know the value of them, NO ONE ELSE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD knows that any pipe could ever be worth more than about $20. Even a crackhead knows what he can sell or pawn, and aint no pawn shop going to even touch your nasty tar and goop filled pipes.
Yeh, I remember telling myself when I reached a dozen pipes that I would stop. Then I said that I would only collect a very expensive pipe maybe once or twice a year, and then I ended up with over 100 pipes on wall mounted racks and some in drawers, and some I even forgot I ever ordered. It's a thing. :::sigh::: But, keep telling yourself whatever works. Ha ha. :puffy:

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
i went from zero pipes to probably 30 in a matter of months. Granted, most were in a Ebay lot buy for restoration fun and a couple have turned out nicely, BUT I have more money than I want to admit in new nice pipes as well. I keep my smokingpipes "save for later" cart full and whenever one goes off to someone else I get a little angry, especially when it is the only one. I almost bought one of those Ropp vintage superior's, then someone got it.
I have to admit that one of the Ebay lot pipes has turned out to be a favorite and restoring is a lot of fun.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I did have a couple of pipes taken in a burglary. Both were well carved and ornate meers. The usual other stuff, DVDs primarily, kids covet were also taken. I understand most was recovered when they caught the little miscreants. Insurance had paid in full and I didn't try to buy back the pipes.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Cosmic&Filmshooter, You are so right, and while I consider the smokingpipes as a great resurce for new pipes it always involves me to pay our import customs taxes when ever I order from them,(when value is more than $50)so pipes are alike good surce for our tax and customs officials to get some suplementary money flowing in,they seem always be vigilant to have their share from our countryfellers(Luckily not interested on baccy sendings if one keeps his ordered 'goods on reasonable lower side-package should contain no more than total purchase value of $30 when from outside of Eu)) otherwise sure you gotta have pay,or turned back

Status
Not open for further replies.