PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Reading a Larson story centered on The Lusitania, was happy to hear that, among its stores on sailing from New York, it had over 500 pounds of Capstan loaded in! And some other tobacco, name did not stick.
Now, moving earlier in history, we visited Saratoga, NY, where there was a fine display of clay pipe shards:
dWzHucr.jpg

Next, in New York City, the Fraunces Tavern had this on display:
OhbrxQX.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hmmm. Of no interest— even to historians? I should have mentioned that Saratoga was the site of a large battle during the Revolutionary War.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Great story and thank you for sharing.
I'm having trouble making out the last word of Col. Johnston's comment, "...with the greatest sobriety and good _____." Is it "order"?
On a similar note I've read in several sources that there were so many native German speakers from St. Louis enlisting for the Union during the Civil War, their senior officers were almost exclusively West Point grads where German was certainly taught and quite possibly required.
Fnord

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Is Saratoga near Saratoga Springs? That has to be the most beautiful horse track in the U.S., though the season is short, I think most of the month of August. Also, lots of spas to take the waters before you head to the track. Happily I missed this indulgence until I was in my sixties; some things should be savored with maturity. Belmont is pretty and green, but Saratoga Springs "Under the Elms" is a kind of paradise. These grand old clay pipes add to the aura.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You were very close to Park Lane Tobacconist in Clifton Park, one of the regions best pipe/cigar places.

Also just up the road at the southern end of Lake George was Cup-O-Joes, a wonderful place as well.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Thanks for sharing JP.
MSO Saratoga Springs is beautiful. I went to the races there once. It almost reminds me of something I would see in hundreds of years ago in England but instead of horse races there would be jousting.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Another important local association with pipes: Lake George was the summer haunt of William Demuth, of WDC fame. His home on the Lake was a palatial "cottage" called Bay View, long since gone. It was located near Bolton Landing, stood on 58 acres, and had eight master bedrooms. It also had a farm, barns, a gardener's home, and a superb view of the Lake. Demuth died there on June 26, 1911.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Frnord- The word is indeed "order".
Mso- Yes, the Springs are nearby, as is the racetrack. Beautiful town and track. Going for the early morning workout and breakfast is my favorite, with the mist just lifting off the meadow. (We didn't get there this trip, but a couple of years ago when we also went to the BB HoF.)
Al- I kick myself, as I had made a note of Cup O Joe's being on Lake George. But I didn't make it by there.
Jon- Cool to know about Demuth's place on the Lake. I was on the NE side, he on the SW side. Beautiful country. Great lake!
Jesse- Yes, a great trip. We also stayed with a friend who has a camp on Lake George- a real camp, for kids, who fortunately weren't there when we were! Ft. Ticonderoga is also a favorite, along with the grounds of a summer cottage of one of the first families of the area.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Simon- A bit before my time, (not much!) but I've heard similar about the Catskills as well as the Adirondacks. I prefer the stories about goings on at Delmonico's, where Keri and I had a nice lunch after a tour of Barclay-Rex downtown.
Fnord- I was worried either no one saw my o.p., or that of those that did, it was "meh". Glad that a very good group did catch it. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.