PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I couldn't sleep a few nights agon and decided to try a relaxation exercise I'd seen on YouTube. Essentially, I was supposed think of vowel sounds as I inhaled and exhaled - aaahhh and ooommm. Unfortunately, within seconds, I was going "aahhhhh - ooommmm Paul". I didn't get to sleep until 4:30 am.
I am, however, in the market for an Oom Paul pipe.
Pax

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Hahaha. I needed a good laugh. When I spend a lot of time on here, I randomly think of tobacco and pipe shapes throughout the day.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
https://www.amazon.com/Search-Pipe-Dreams-Rick-Newcombe/dp/0966623916/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Sav Hercules Oom-Paul is a nice one, big bowled, no filter. The anti-insomnia exercise (I realize this is a joke, however) is more about building up a surplus of oxygen in your blood. The vowels are okay, but breathing to a count works as well, so you are pumping more oxygen than you need into your lungs. After over-respirating for a while, your body will relax, and often you'll drop off to sleep. It's not always the whole answer, but it supplements other things -- a short walk, a hot bath/shower, a warm beverage (no caffein). Most people do better with no "sound track" music or talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.