PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I just realized that my dog knows what the sound of one of my tobacco jars being opened means. She came running ready to go out when she heard me getting into my Old Joe Krantz just now!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Smart dog. And even better if she can detect it's OJK that you opened.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My dog, knows the sound of me blowing the dottle out of my pipe. That's when he finally gets up and goes to the door to be let back inside. Crazy how they know these things.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Our four-legged fur friends are professional people watchers, and it's how they earn their living. They certainly know our every move related to their food, access to the inside or outside, their play routines, our rising and retiring, and so forth. They are also careful students of our wellbeing and mood, in many cases. Many will hop up on the bed and attend you if you aren't feeling well. That's why, though we may start out thinking of them as a cheerful little underclass to us, we often find our feelings running much deeper. They know how we're doing hour-to-hour before our family does, before we do.

ron123

Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
That's cool. I only Place I smoke inside is in my study. I've got two ceiling fan vents (like in a bathroom), crack a window for cross-ventilation, and sometimes light a smoker's candle...it still has a permanent smell to it, but it keeps the smoke out of the rest of the house, so that I'm able to keep the peace. Anyway, my dog makes an exit as soon as he sees me starting to get ready for a pipe. Can't convince him to stay. If I bring him in, just he sits by the door waiting to be let out. Thus, can't complete a Norman Rockwellian scene...no fireplace in here either, so not even close to creating that vision LOL...

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
my dog knows what the sound of one of my tobacco jars being opened

+1
My dog, knows the sound of me blowing the dottle out of my pipe. That's when he finally gets up and goes to the door to be let back inside.

+1
Same here. M’Lady says that our dog’s lives revolve around my pipe smoking. Heck, they even know I’m ready for a pipe before I do.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Our three cats are tolerant of my pipe smoking and settle in near me on my desk and observe the rising smoke, usually one at a time to get their one-on-one face time with me. Being felines they have extremely separate and distinct personalities, even the two drain pipe rescues that look like pedigree Maine Coons, but also the little female who came down from Long Island with my wife when she married me. My wife and I both love dogs, but due to her mobility limitations and my care-taking efforts, dogs would not get their needs met, though we both have much admired dogs from our youth. My wife, a farm girl, even had a thoroughbred horse when she was a school girl, bought by her exuberant dad for her at an auction.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have two cats. Neither of them sit too close during my pipe sessions. My last male cat Bailey was always close no matter what I was doing.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
My little girl lets me know when it is bed time...comes in and stares at me until I say...OK, time to go to bed...then she dances behind me all the way to the bedroom. She always wins...and she knows it!

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
If I fill a pipe in the evening, my dog gets excited, and runs to the kitchen nook where the doggy poop sacks are kept. If I then put a couple of them in my pocket (always bring more than one), her excitement level rises and she sprints for the shoe closet, smashing things with her furiously wagging tail. If I then put on my shoes, her excitement level rises yet again and she dashes in circles around me making high pitched Chewbacca sounds and crashing into the furniture. If I then pull out her leash and put it on her she leaps to the door and puts her nose to it while trembling all over in anticipation of the walk to come. When I try to then open the door, as soon as I crack it a fraction of an inch, she tries unsuccessfully to ram her head through the door before it's fully open, before hauling me down the driveway for a 1-2 (sometimes 3-4) mile walk. She is 12 years old now, and has settled down considerably from when she was younger. She is very obedient and well behaved on our walks, but gets ridiculously hyped up immediately beforehand. German shepherd/Yellow Lab cross, we rescued her at 2 years old, when she was abandoned by absolute scum that left her behind when they moved away, because "they didn't have room in the truck," after starving her and feeding her garbage (we paid a few thousand dollars for surgery to remove shopping bags and a diaper from her gut).

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Haha! I love it. My dog is the same way, it used to be that I only smoked out doors so she got a lot of walks in. She still gets excited when I open up my tobacco drawer but I can tell she’s disappointed when it’s just a stay in smoke. Although, she has correlated the time of day with when I reach for my tobacco to surmise that she’ll be going on a walk in the early morning, after lunch and in the evening. Some dogs are surprisingly smart. I think “they” said they can have the intelligence of a 4 year old human being.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
pepesdad1
Preferred Member

The bastard that left her should have been hung...by his balls.
It was a very large abrasive woman, she was bigger than me in height and weight, and I'm 6'1" and 300lbs. After us paying exorbitant fees to the vet to get our doggie healthy, the wench came back 2 months later and tried to steal the dog. I almost had to fight her, my wife called the police, and they arrived just as she was getting violent. She then started cursing out the officer, who gave her a ticket for parking on our lawn. I am generally an easygoing pacifist type by nature, but that was the closest I have ever came to elbowing a woman in the teeth.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Dogs knowing what the opening of a tobacco jar means and getting ready for a walk? Pavlovian response?

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Yep, dogs are expert observers of human behavior.
Studies have been done to gauge the difference between dogs and wolves in regards to their focus on the body clues people display. Dogs intently watch what people do, including our facial expressions. Wolves show zero interest in this. That includes wolves raised in captivity since they were pups. The difference between them and dogs appears to be genetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.