Status
Not open for further replies.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I know that some people dedicate a particular pipe to a particular blend. I do not get that specific. I dedicate my pipes to a particular tobacco type. Some of my pipes are dedicated to Virginia and VA/PER tobaccos, some are for tobaccos that contain Latakia, and some are for Aromatics.
So, what about the rest of you guys and gals? DO you dedicate your pipes or not?

And if so, how do you do it?

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
I've got a lot of pipes (for me, that is), but being an eclectic smoker I've got a lost of blends too, with more on the way. Just a few aromatics, though (Butternut Burley, McB's Navy Flake and Mixture 79). I've got a lot of VaPers and English Orientals. Since I'm afraid of no ghost, I simply prefer to discriminate by tobacco cut, limiting my flakes to large bowls.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I am aware of the "ghost" effect just recently from reading about it, but never knew of it before. I guess it makes sense, but I haven't let it concern me.
One thing I have learned at the Chicago pipe show is that there are all different types of pipes smokers and lots of different opinions on the right and wrong things to do.
Some people are real easy-going about it and some are real adamant. I'm more easy going.
No, I do not even think about which tobacco goes in which pipe.

analogmoz

Lurker
Apr 29, 2009
I go many ways on this issue; in fact, be warned for inconsistencies if not outright contradictions.
At times I really like smoking new tobaccos in a "wrong" pipe, i.e. one that isn't dedicated to the tobacco's particular type. The mystery of several flavors mixing is precisely the thing no other type of smoking can deliver. Honestly, an aromatic is only tolerable to me when smoked in a "Latakia" pipe. Then it has the essence and darkness I miss in aromatics.

Now, in contrast, a tobacco and pipe really do have to meet for a long time for all the nuances of a tobacco to develop. I'd argue that a blend isn't fully enjoyed until smoked a half-dozen times in the same pipe.

The third possibility is the compromise- in this case, keeping a near-type pipe. Like a VA, VA/Per pipe, an English/Balkan/Anything G.L. Pease (a joke, he seems to sneak Latakia into most of his blends) pipe, etc. This is my usual practice, as I've really only been smoking strong VAs lately.

My personal lineup consists of one Latakia-only pipe, 4 VA/VAPer, and 2 "whatevers" (mowing pipes, pocket pipes, etc.)
Thanks for the interesting thread, and the humor, too. I ain't afraid of no ghost, either!
Man, I like this site.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
That's pretty cool, analogmoz. I learned something new and interesting there about putting aromatics in a Latakia pipe. Great idea. I have been doing it inadvertently anyway as I mix everything up, but it is a good observation and practice on how to make an aromatic more interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.