Tags:  No tags yet. 

Pipe Dating & History Help Request

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by gandalfspipe
  • Latest reply from crashthegrey
  1. gandalfspipe

gandalfspipe

Login to Send PM

Hey everyone, my friend has just been given one of her grandpa's old pipes, been passed on through the family to her, and we were wondering if you guys can help with any information on it's history/dating when it was made, etc so she can know the story behind the pipe?

It's an EA Carey Magic Inch pipe, although interestingly it just has Carey, not EA Carey stamped on the side...the Patent number on the side is: 326794

We know the pipe won't have much value beyond sentimental....my friend's memories of her papaw smoking his pipe when she was a little girl are very special, so she was very excited to be given the pipe this week by her brother, so I know it'll mean a lot to her if someone can help shed some light on the back story to it.

She's not planning on smoking it, just displaying with a photo of him smoking it, although she has actually started smoking a pipe this year with me...the cake on this pipe is pretty thick in places...you can see from the stem marks this was a well loved and frequently smoked pipe!

Thanks all!

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.” -Albert Einstein,

“A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.” -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

We haven't seen a Carey here in a while. Perhaps someone in the UK will be able to answer your question

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. jimbo44

jimbo44

Login to Send PM

[/url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrAo7TtWFtE Youtube

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's great. I hope a Carey expert steps in. I'd recommend getting it all cleaned up and displaying it proudly. Although I'm sure grandpa would prefer it to be smoked again.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. oldmansmoking

oldmansmoking

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can't get to the YouTube link can you try again?

A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise ☪️
    OLDMANSMOKING
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. oldmansmoking

oldmansmoking

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Copied the YouTube youtube.com/watch?v=TrAo7TtWFt and got the video
    Never ever knew there was a slider on some off those majic inch pipes.
    New ones don't seam to have this feature.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. gandalfspipe

gandalfspipe

Login to Send PM

Thanks jimbo44 that was a great link! Very interesting, I hadn't heard about those sleeves that go on the stem...will have to look more into that.

@crashthegrey I bet you are right...my friend's mom has insisted she smokes at least one bowlful before it goes on display!

Anyone have any insight on age/year made for the pipe?

I had been interested in getting a new magic inch pipe for awhile, to test out the magic inch system...was on the fence based on reveiws online, think this has pushed me towards getting one!

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's an EA Carey Magic Inch pipe, although interestingly it just has Carey, not EA Carey stamped on the side...the Patent number on the side is: 326794

Patent number 3267941 was issued in August of 1966 for the Magic Inch pipe. There is a big article on E. A. Carey in Pipe & Tobacco's summer issue this year that goes over the history of the company but unfortunately doesn't mention a change from Carey to E.A. Carey stamping on the pipe. The company has changed hands a few times over the years.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gandalf, to me it looks to be a 1970's pipe.

I have a few estate 'Magic Inch' pipes but not having bothered to get any papyrus sleeves means they have not been smoked.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah, nostalgia! I had one in college, but parted ways with it probably by accident or forgetfulness.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Snap us a picture of her grandfather smoking it, for historical greatness.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   lawayna, dmcmtk, didimauw