PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I'm starting this thread because I want to hear about what pipe commissions you have in the works. Who are you using to make your pipe(s) and why? What shape, size and finishing did you choose and why? Has the experience been a good one?

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
I'd say my wife. I make my own pipes and I give my money to my wife so it's like I'm paying someone for my own pipes!!! :D

Ok I'm totally kidding and she would punch me in the throat if she heard me say that.
But really a commission would be awesome, to know an artist created something that you are now the sole owner of would be amazing!!

I'd also love to hear what people have in the works and why! :)

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Oh good! I was afraid this thread was a rant from one of my customers about how long I am taking on commissions lately :nana:

I know theres at least 5 people here waiting on a commission pipe LOL.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I've had nothing but good experiences when commissioning a pipe. I've worked with Simeon Turner, Adam Remington, Wayne Teipen, Brian Ruthenberg, Kirk Bosi and Stephen Downie. If you're going to commission a pipe, you should realize that you're paying for an artist's interpretation. If you go into the experience expecting a carver to read your mind and give you EXACTLY what you're thinking of, you may be disappointed. Instead, I tell them a general shape and size, my preferred finish and color, then let them come up with something that's truly unique.
Personally I'd rather have 1 artisan pipe than 3 factory made cookie-cutter pipes, but that's for each man to decide for himself.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I hope to get a commissioned pipe. I'm with josh on this. It's a great feeling to know you're the sole owner of a piece of artwork.
-Jason

Dec 24, 2012
I'm not saying the artisan pipes aren't worth the asking price and more, but I think we'll find those here who are commissioning a pipe, let alone have a few commissions in the works, are on the low end, as a percentage, of the pipe buyers here. Many just can't afford and/or justify the cost of an artisan pipe
Well then who is buying all of the artisan pipes being made out there every day . . . wait . . . Harris??????

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I currently have two commissions in the works and I am still deciding on a third. They are all with Rad Davis and they are to complete a seven day(all black sandblasted) set I am working on. The next one that will show up is a straight Apple, group 5, cumberland stem and a fancy wood stem application. I have already received two commissions from Rad and couldn't have been happier. He knows what I like and he keeps making pipes it seems just for me. I would have had more commissions but he made two for his site, that were perfect for my seven day set that I grabbed. The last one I think will be a Black Zulu. Once I am done with these, who knows where I will look next.
If anyone had told me at the end of July I would have 20 artisan pipes in my collection, I would have said they were crazy. I was happy smoking my Winslow's, Former, Upshalls, Willmers, Caminetto's,Ferndowns,Ashton, Dunhill's, and others. I bought my first Rad Davis in the beginning of August and was amazed at the difference. I bought an estate Rad soon after to see if it was a fluke, but it also was fantastic. The difference for me is these things smoke themselves, they smoke cool and dry, they never need a pipe cleaner to soak up moisture, the tobacco tastes amazing and they are the most comfortable things I have ever puffed on. All of my artisan pipes smoke better than my factory pipes. Now these factory pipes were fine until I smoked a Rad and if I had never done so I would have never known the difference.
This is all bigvans fault, he showed some of his artisan pipes, told me how great they smoked and the rest is history. Many of them are estates and all are in the 140-250 range except for one Butera and one Jody Davis I spent more on. I just picked up an estate Ruthenberg and and estate Rad and paid 200.00 each. For me, I would rather have a 200.00 estate artisan pipe than a brand new factory pipe from any maker out there. But that is just me.

Dec 24, 2012
Well, Harris, I obviously have to agree with you on the Rad pipes. I have seven, but so far have only smoked four of them and they are without exception fantastic (I will get to the other three eventually). I have never commissioned Rad to do a pipe, but want to do that some time in the next year or so. Right now, I have quite a few balls in the air at the moment (in no particular order):
1. Our own beloved Sasquatch (BST) is doing two pipes for me - a billiard and a Canadian.
2. Chris Askwith is doing two billiards for me - a ying and yang set in a custom made presentation case (I believe one will be Morta - my first)
3. Michael Parks is doing a two pipe set for me - a billiard and a Canadian, again in a crafted presentation case.
4. Larry Roush is doing a cherrywood for me with a silver capped rim.
5. JT Cooke is doing a large black blasted billiard for me
6. Most recently, Grant Baston is doing a "psycho sitter" for me.
My favourite pipe shapes are billiards, Canadians, Zulus and pokers/cherrywoods. I'm a pretty traditional guy.
All of the above folks have been absolutely fantastic.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
bigvan, I think you should ask Rad for your cut.
Peck, that is one hell of a line up, I can't wait to see them all. How can you have 3 unsmoked Rad's, you are a blasphemer. The minute I get a new pipe in I fire it up, even if I am in the middle of a bowl, I will set it aside for the new one. You need to stop what you are doing and start smoking those Rad's.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Ahh you guys are killing me! Store tobacco, store tobacco... But the pipes! NO, store the tobacco. Lols. I have 1 pipe that is ok but don’t know what it is, a Crown Duke and a couple not even worth mentioning. I'm determined, especially after Josh's excellent work, that my years long ago making custom cabinets, will allow me to turn a decent pipe. But I have checked out a TON of the artisan’s work and the differences are overwhelming. Percentage wise, they’re not much more than a factory pipe.
Craig

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
For my birthday (31st) I was thinking of getting a commissioned pipe. I was thinking a short cutty sandblasted or a cherrywood rusticated. But I can decide on which artisn I'd like to carve the pipe for me. My budget for the pipe is only $250-350.

My ship date is now march 15th so time would also be a factor

Status
Not open for further replies.