PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gulfcowboy

Lurker
Jul 1, 2018
Ok. My question may seem odd, but I have to ask before I drop a hundred dollars on a new pipe. Im looking for a pipe shape thats comfortable for clenching. I need something that I can clinch while using my hands for daily tasks. I'm guessing a pipe with a greater curve in it. Any input would be much appreciated.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I'm a big Peterson fan. That said, their 03 (303) shape is great for clenching. It's light, smaller in size and hangs nice. The 02/XL02 (302) shape is nice too. It's also a bent apple shape, but bigger. Also, a good hanger.
Something from any pipe company in this style should clench nicely.
70e86c1d32736e0ad96e032bed23b4b5.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You are on the right track. The more bent a pipe is, the less leverage it brings to bear on your teeth. Also, look for pipes of moderate weight, probably about 1.6 oz. max. Remember some full bent pipes will not pass a pipe cleaner, but just clean as far as it will go, and remove the stem from time to time to clean both airways, bowl and stem.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
These Curvys are great for clenching...I've got 2 of them.
https://www.alpascia.com/en/pipes-curvy

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've had a similar experience with my Savinelli 606KS. It hangs with little effort.
There's also the cob option.
I picked up a short Dagner that clenches well, but have not been able to find much info on the model.
dagner-600x310.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Personally, I don't like anything more than a 1/2 bent and prefer a 1/4 bent or straight. So I look at the weight and bit. If the bit is wider and lower profile, it is easier to clench.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I have a couple of Missouri Meerschaum Ozark Mountain Hardwoods that I use for chore pipes a lot. They're light and cheap, so if I accidentally drop one into the wood chipper, it's not like losing my Bing or anything.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Physics. You want to minimize the leverage that the pipe is exerting on your teeth. This is a factor of the weight of the bowl, how far out it extends horizontally, the shape of the button, and the width and thickness of the bit.
An inexpensive pipe that comes.to mind is the Missouri Meerschaum Cornell & Diehl Carolina Gent. Light, short, and with a reasonably wide saddle bit. I. also generally find 3/4 to full bents with saddle bits comfortable.
The Savinelli 614 is a wonderful clencher.
The full bent P-lip Petersons are good, too, but somewhat dependent upon the specific bit. Some of the newer ones I find do not hang as well.

Reactions: Maritime Piper

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm a fan of acrylic stems, but in clenching, their hard, glassy feel on the teeth isn't too comfortable; nor do they feel secure. IMO, vulcanite is much, much better for clenching.
Also, flat, thin buttons help the teeth grip the stem, and they keep the upper and lower teeth closer together.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I like straight pipes for aesthetic reasons mainly. I also like to clench my pipe, so I get the bicuspids involved and the thickness of the bit matters most to me. Like Cortez said, the closer my teeth are together the more comfortable it is on the jaw.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
For me, the best clenching pipes I own are all Petes.
303, 314 and for the times I want a very compact pipe a 317

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
To be honest, a well balanced billiard can be better than a bent for me. You are better off experimenting with a few cheap pipes before buying an expensive one meant for this. Find your best cheap clencher and then buy an expensive pipe of similar weight and shape. I recommend vulcanite/ebonite for the stem material.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Balance is the element most important for me. I like weight forward, heavy bowl, which allows the pipe stem to be forced up against my molars. I suspect whether or not one can clench comfortably is dependent one's mouth, bit comfort, pipe balance, etc. As noted above, you should experiment with pipes and stem position. Also, it'll take time and practice until the pipe goes unnoticed in the mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.