PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kermy812

Lurker
Apr 30, 2014
Posted this on another pipe forum, but I'd thought I would try here too...

I'm not really a collector, but I inherited a collection when my dad passed away like 17 years ago. He collected so many things… Most of these, he would have got in the 50's, 60's & 70's, I imagine. He stopped smoking in the early 80's I remember, cause "tobacco was too high". Not sure if I'll end up selling or not, but I was curious to know what there are worth.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
Pretty nice collection there. It would be difficult to acertain a value without more information on the brand, more individual pictures, etc. Even then, there's no way to tell what you would get selling them to a dealer. Have you tried to email places that sell estate pipes, like SmokingPipes.com or BriarBlues.com?

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Just in general terms, from my own experience, depending on brands and condition, there are a lot of collectors for those metal pipes. There are a few here who are always hunting them down (member thestig is one if I remember correctly). The broken and stemless pipes, unless they are some specific brand aren't going to be worth much. The bowl with the threads is an extra bowl for the metal pipes so make sure you keep that with them. The figurals don't move very quickly and I have seen prices for them vary dramatically and I have yet to figure out what drives the price on those.
If you want to do a lot sell, smokingpipes would be your best bet. Get a list of them all and call them. They will tell you over the phone if they would be interested in them. They won't give you a price until they see them and you have to ship them to them and wait a bit before you can get your money. You get more if you want store credit. They look well taken care of. Hope that helps some.
Again, this is just from my own experience. Looks like you have a couple of custombilts and maybe a grabow or yellow-bowl. There are collectors of those but nothing expensive.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think these are more valuable to you as a really interesting collection assembled by your dad than

they would be as collectible pipes, per se. Unless ... you had one or two that filled some particular

need in someone's collection of pistol pipes, or womens-legs-pipes. If someone really "needed" one

of these for their collection, then perhaps $200 or more wouldn't be too much. But at flea market prices,

that might be the price for the whole collection.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have seen one of those pistol pipes before. I think it was on Ebay and if I remember correctly it sold for a lot of money - certainly in excess of $200. Any one know who made it?

kermy812

Lurker
Apr 30, 2014
eaglerico,

The bowl with the threads didn’t seem to work right with the metal pipes, it seems to have too many. To my surprise, it must be for the gun! The gun has deep threads like that bowl. All this time and I had no clue. Which is the pipes are the grabow & yellow-bowls?
mso489,

I’ll think I’ll probably end up keeping 1 of these, and maybe have some kind shelf for some of his things. Right now though, I’m just trying to learn something about these and reminisce. I think a pipe, mason jar filled with marbles, a harmonica, a pocket knife and some of his whittling projects would make a nice display. It’s hard to “let go” sometimes, but dad was quite a hoarder of things. For instance, Like on the mason jars - Back in the 50’s & 60’s, he and my brother would go to a city dump to dig for bottles & jars and what not. So when he passed, I probably had like 600 or more bottles and mason jars. Still maybe have 200 or so now…
condorlover1

There is a mark, “C.P.F.”. Any idea what that stands for?
Here’s better pics of the gun:

IMG_2773_zpsd740c736.jpg

IMG_2772_zpsbd86fdf6.jpg

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
C.P.F. was Colosus Pipe Factory, as well as Consolidated Pipe Facory, and was owned by Kaufman Bros. and Bondy (KB&B). The business dated back to the 1890's.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
Every time I see one of those gun pipes, as a gun owner, I cringe a little bit. I don't like the thought of putting a gun in my mouth, even if its a toy or a pipe. Anyone else have a similar reaction or am I crazy? :lol:

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
Marty (Pulvers Briar) had one of those gun pipes on the specials page for a long time @ $45 or so. If I remember correctly it had a screw in bowl. Does the screw in bowl in the last photo fit the pistol?

Status
Not open for further replies.