PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Hey all, I've noticed specialty blends of tobacco for pipe clubs and it just got me wondering what's the point of pipe clubs, I'm not dissing them at all I'm just wondering what you do at them

At the Magic City Pipe Club meetings, we usually swap tobaccos, talk techniques, tobaccos. We will have a lane Distributor bring us some blending tobaccos at our net meeting to mix our own blend, and then if we get anything cool, we will get the Briary owner to carry our blends... if we promise to buy them. At the last meeting the Lane guy talked about the new blends they have, and aromatics in general, with free samples. Most of the time we just kick back and smoke and talk about whatever... hiking, places we've been, music, history, just whatever. We have a lot of very interesting people in our area of the Greater Birmingham area that smoke a pipe. It's just a platform to meet them and have fun enjoying our pipes.

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Sounds fun cosmicfolklore I may have to try and get down there sometime in the future. I don't know of any in north alabama. Thanks.

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
I like the idea of swapping tales with other pipe smokers. I am trying to find a group close to me but not allot of luck. Apparently Canadas anti smoking laws makes it tough for clubs

Ours is mostly young pipe smokers, and a few of us graybeards. For most of them, they never get a chance to see someone smoke a pipe, no matter how long they've been smoking. Most just go to the privacy of their homes and "figure it out" on their own. Whatever is going on, I think that we all learn something from each other.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
We started with 2 guys and have about 10. The hours fly by and everyone gets along very well. The knowledge base of the group is incredible and it seems like all we do is laugh. It's the most enjoyable evening of my month.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Derrick we have a few here in and around the GTA.
Lakeshore Smokestacks have a meet every last Thursday of the month and occasionally they set up burner meets in the GTA at different locations. i Have been to both and its a lot of fun and a great group of guys to smoke with.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
All of the clubs I've been to have pretty loosely organized meetings. All of the ones I've been to are simply a gathering of pipe smokers with no set agenda. So, you are free to wander around the venue to meet and chat with other folks. I find them all very enjoyable. If you have some blends to share, that is a great way to break the ice.
At the Winchester VA club meeting, we sell raffle tickets for a pipe donated by the shop (JB Hayes). That is the extent of any formality.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
The NOLA Pipe Club has only had a few meetings so far, but we have had an excellent time trying different blends, comparing pipes and discussing our pipe smoking experiences. If you haven't spent any time with other pipe smokers, then you are missing out on a truly enlightening experience.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Adding to the excellent points mentioned, the several clubs I've participated in (Morley's in Philly, New York, Golden Gate near San Francisco and Lehigh Valley) tend towards tobacco tastings. You get wonderful opportunities to try blends out without having to buy a whole tin/bag only to find out you don't care for it. Similarly, you get to find out about makers and models of pipes that you want to know more about. Several times a year, someone turns up with a batch of estates (neighbors or friends who find stashes that need new homes) and I've scored serious bargains, like $60 Castellos, $40 Dunhills and so forth. If you are susceptible to PAD and TAD though, maybe best to stay away. :)
hp

les

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Pipe clubs are a great way to meet other pipe smokers (and we are a besieged minority that should stick together).
You can see different pipes, sample different tobaccos and learn so much.
You may even meet people from thousands of miles away like Les Trout. :D
Even if there is no pipe club where you live, start one and see what happens.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
At our meetings in Abq, we usually have a couple local carvers that bring in their own work to sell and display. People bring a bunch of pipes and tobaccos for a raffle that we do. Everyone enjoys an alcoholic beverage and some good conversation. Just a good place to relax, possibly win a cool pipe or tobacco and learn tons of info about the pipe world. Us pipers have to stick together, we are a small group of awesomeness and that is another reason for a club.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Cosmic... for me, I wish there were a pipe club around for that very reason. Bridges... Sharing...
I think maybe that's what I would want to get out of a club. Like being here, but ...
Know what I mean?

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Homeguard
Our NYC pioe club meets the second Tuesday of every month and I try my darndest to get to every one
Not only are different blends brought in to share, the folks that come are, IMHO, a cut above what I usually get to meet. What a great place to experience others stories of pipe smoking, view their unusual pipes and accessories, and just have a great time.
Hopefully you will find a club near your area

Status
Not open for further replies.