Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
I was wandering what happens in a well established pipe club. Could anyone give me some details, I would like to start one in my area. Not to copy any other club, but would like it to be worth while for the members.

Thanks for any input

tab812

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2011
Floyds Knobs, IN
I am not a member of a pipe club...my local club has dissolved years ago, but here is a link to the governing body. You might get some insight here.
http://www.iapsc.net/html/join.html

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
It realy depends on the club. Some get together just to hang out and smoke together. Some have discussions on tobaccos, pipes, repair, and samples. Some do compatitions. You are already a member of a pipe clib PipeMagazine.com.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Tokerpipes, I never thought about it that way. Thanks for the enlightening A ha moment.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I am the vp of a pipe club in PA, we meet oncce a week, 1st week of the month is the (semi) mandatory business meeting, where we go over every following meeting, and the money and everything,
2nd meeting is a pipe tobacco tasting day
3rd is random activity day, sometimes mock smoking contest, sometimes trip ect
4th is food day, either some one brings food or we go to a smoking friendly restaurant
Thats pretty much it

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Jchaplick, your club sounds very laid back and informal. Thanks for the information.

Cheers

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Jchaplick, your club sounds very laid back and informal. Thanks for the information.

Cheers
Oh its so much fun, yeah, definitely informal, I look forward to it every week

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
__SNIP FROM POST__
I went to the Capital Area Pipe Smokers meeting last night and had a grand time. The meeting was at the president's home and he was a gracious host with room enough to hold 20+ people in a large den. We had a superb dinner of homemade Thai food and there were wee drams of some really great old whiskeys. We had I am sure 75 baccys to try and many more in the wings. Show and tell pipes and plenty of stories and lies.
The next meeting will be the 3rd Friday in March with a renaissance night planned at a local eatery in Alexandria in April, smoking approved.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
The Seattle Pipe Club meets one a month. The meetings are very informal. There a usually a few new blends to try and we mostly just visit, smoke and talk. We talk about tobacco, pipes, smoking tobacco in pipes, and occasional digressions. It's lots of fun. In a state where smoking is banned in most places it is nice to be able to smoke with others for a change. We have members from their twenties to their nineties, both men and women, from all walks of life. There is always an interesting conversation to be had.
Once a year there is the annual slow smoke competition. The winner gets to represent the club at the Chicago slow smoke competition. Once a year there is the annual White Pipe (Meerschaum) night. This weekend is the annual dinner. This will be the first I have attended. I think also in the summer they do some sort of barbecue or trip or something. I think they also have speakers from time to time, but not since I have been there in October. Sometimes a member might also be selling pipes.
Pipes Magazine did an article on the club some time back. You can read it here. It might be helpful. At any rate you might enjoy visiting the club website and viewing the photos pages.
Best of luck getting your club started. However you get it organized, it will be worth the while.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
My buddy and I are starting a club this Friday. It started out with the two of us planning to hitting a few local smoke shopes to sample new blends. Word soon spread and now we are up to six guys going. So after touring four shops or so we are heading to a local pub for lunch, a drink, and a smoke. Im thinking about making some custom tampers to hand out to everyone in attendence. We are planning on making this a once a month gathering. Hope it all works out.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
That sounds like the beginnings of a great club. I hope I can soon find some smoking buddys all my old cigar buddys say pipes cost too much and are too much work.

Lazy smokers.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Its not that they are lazy...its because you are more skilled than them. Smoking a pipe is historic since the beginning of time. A ritualistic relaxation.

Status
Not open for further replies.