PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I read the article how to start your own pipe club and I am seriously considering starting one in my town. Douglasville, Ga its near Atlanta. The article was helpful, but for those of you that have pipe clubs. How long do you normally set the meetings for, i.e. a couple of hours? Do you charge dues? If so what do the dues pay for? I'de like to be dues free and have raffles as the article suggests. Any tips would be welcome. Thanks.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Due to it's size the bottom pipe in this picture makes an excellent club

three.jpg

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
:rofl: @ Arthur.
I've been seriously considering the same thing up here in Flowery Branch and Gainesville, GA. Things have been a little crazy around here lately to concentrate on it. Starting it though, I would think just meeting up and everyone bringing their favorite blend would suffice. Also, depending on how many show up, I'd like to start the raffle thing right away. The location has been the main stumbling block knowing that most places won't allow smoking in their establishment. B&M locations are alright, but they are small and could easily get cramped fast, which is why Cyndi and I were toying with the thought of hosting the club in our home for awhile.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
could do the casual thing too. alternate between members, pot luck with snacks and drinks each member brings to share. couple picnic tables, chairs, etc..

think that would avoid membership fees and relying on designated public establishments.

just a thought. some thoughts are brain farts in disguise.. :crazy:

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
With my friends if you ask them to bring a dish to pass you have to remind them that it should have food in it.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
just dont forget the chips and dip!!!
uncle arthur needs new friends that are fat and eat alot!!! they NEVER forget the food!! :mrgreen:

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
The pipe club i goto is in the beer garden at the rear of the pub being used. The guy that runs it brings with him a selection of 25g packs of tobacco's to buy for £5 plus some taster tobacco's. There's no entry fee for this as the money raised from the 25g packs covers it.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Wow Unclearthur that is a club. And bootlegbonvivant I hear there is an Atlanta Pipe Club and I sent the contact guy an email but haven't heard back from him yet, thought it might be good to go to an established one and see how it is run and then go from there. The smoking in restaurants makes it hard to find a location, but we have a wonderful cigar and tobacco store here that has a smoking room and that might be the place. I haven't asked them yet. Meeting at your house is an interesting idea, that made me think that the park might not be a bad place either. There are pavillions and stuff that you can reserve at a lot of parks or just tell everyone to bring a camp chair. Its nice under the pines.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I'll have to check into the park idea. There's a nice park nearby that has a huge stone fireplace in it and it's right on Lake Lanier. The only problem with that is that someone would have to pony up for the reservation fee and all NEGA parks don't allow alcohol. There are probably half a dozen reasons I'd rather do it indoors but a good half of those are unreasonable. ;) I know Bootleg sent you a PM a few days ago, so I'm going to go map the distance from FB to Douglasville. I'm pretty sure that brings our NEGA count up to 6 or 7 people.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
In the last few months I've started going to a Pipe Club here in Vegas. Pretty nice. Started by a couple of guys in Vegas who met up at the West Coast Show and asked eachother "Why doesn't Vegas have a pipe club?", so they started one. To get the word out a little one of the guys left a flyer with a B&M that gave the ok about the meeting, with the date and time etc. on the flyer. The club meets up at that B&M once a month. We hangout in the smoking lounge and just sit around puffing on a pipe and sharing blends while discussing different pipes and tobaccos and such.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It's tough when your thead gets hijacked on post 2.
One of the key questions is whether you want it to just be a social club or whether you want to be more active than that. A social club is one that gathers to smoke pipes and engage in conversation amongst the members. If you want to be more than a social club then you need an activity that is the club's reason for being. For a number of clubs it is an annual pipe show. For others it is a series of pipe swaps. It can be whatever trips your trigger.
I have found that the meetings shouldn't run much more than an hour and that includes the program. Programs are really important in keeping membership up. The programs do not have to be tobacco or pipe related as long as they are interesting to people. Bringing members in to discuss their hobbies is a great way to fill out your program slate. The programs should not exceed 30 minutes. Having programs that are just "tastings" are usually disappointing.
Our dues are $25 and are used to fund the web site, the club newsletter, and other miscellaneous activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.