Pipe Club Good Business For Your B&M, My Experience So Far!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Hey Guys, I run the West Georgia Pipe Club. We meet at a place called the Cigar Box in Douglasville, Ga. the 1st Thursday of every month from 5-8pm. When we started meeting there, the B&M had just come under new ownership and their pipe selection and pipe tobacco selection was minimal. I prepared a list of my favorite tobaccos and told them that if they started carrying any number of those, that their pipe business would pick up and that I of course would buy them. It has taken awhile, but this month I went in for club and they had stocked some of the tobacco I recommended. There was some Sutliff specifically Molto Dolce which I love, and also some MacBaren products, some Vanilla Creme Flake and some Dark Twist Roll Cake. They have also started carrying a nice selection of Davidoff Tobaccos and are considering carrying some from Villager. We as a club are getting to sample all possible blends from Villager and give our 2 cents on those before they place an order. They have also gotten in lots of very nice baskets, a few nice Nordings, some Kriswell's, and Savinellis, as well as pipe bags and other accessories. When our club meets they give club members 15% off any purchases that we make. And they have we, resident pipe experts, to help customers when we are in there. I also had some business cards made up for the club and my pipe restoration business which they give out to every person who buys anything pipe related. It has been a real win win and though it took awhile to both get the club off the ground and get a better selection of stuff in the shop, great things are happening. I have actually had 2-3 new guys show up at the last few club meetings. And now I have a local place to buy my favorite tobaccos. The B&M is a necessary part of what we do, so be sure to support yours either with a club, advice, or business and if anyone is in the Atlanta area, we'd love to have you come visit.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Here here Shaintiques, :clap: I wouldn't have gotten my club off the ground without my B&M. We're likely to drop about $300 in sales to them for our next meeting as the raffle prizes are all purchased there.

docgarr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2010
Pocono Intermountain Pipe Enthusiasts meet at El Humidor in Plains, PA. Unfortunately for us, pipes and pipe tobacco are an extremely low priority for the store. Most of the bulk tobaccos have not been replaced when finished. We maybe have 5 or 6 bulks. There's a few tins. They haven't bought pipes in two years. However, they do allow us to sell estates on commission and we have sold a number of estates. We use to have 15% off for club members, but that too has languished.
The result is most of us now buy our pipes and tobacco from the internet. Non-pipe club customers also know they will not find pipes and their tobacco at the store and also go online.
However, we can meet in a place that allows us to meet and we can smoke. So I can't complain too much.

oldman

Lurker
Mar 23, 2013
This is encouraging. My city has a fairly new B&M, and it is really well kept (compared to most tobacco places around here), & friendly.

They're primarily a cigar place, with a real nice walk in humidor. But to their credit they do carry, imho, a decent selection of pipes & their own blends...actually got a tin of EMP from them to boot.

They are building a nice cigar lounge with leather seating & big screen TVs. When that is complete, I am planning to see if I can get a Metro-Detroit pipe gathering going. Would love to shoot the breeze face to face w/more experienced local pipe fans. Thanks for info on this thread!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Oldman, I highly recommend starting talking to them now as they build the lounge, for me it took quite some time to get everything together and to get the B&M to agree to a club (smoking is illegal in public buildings here so we have some unique challenges to overcome). It was almost 5 months by the time I actually got people to commit to a time and got access to a venue, so be forewarned. However, it was TOTALLY worth the effort to get things started as it was a great time for all. With the aid of my B&M we should be up to 20 members by the time the second meeting rolls around in 2 weeks!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah it took me awhile to get people coming as well and there were a couple of times where I was the only person to show up, but now we have over 20 people on the list and normally now have 6 to 10 guys. If everybody came it would be standing room only, but that would be awesome! And something else cool, I talked to the B&M this month and they said that we can bring our own Spirits, so next time we will probably have some Bourbon to sip with our pipes.

brianlevine

Might Stick Around
Oct 10, 2011
Hey Guys,
Send me a private message with your club meeting dates and locations or how people can get info on your club and I will mention it on the Pipes Magazine Radio Show.
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.