PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
So, at the B&M here in my new town I brought up the idea of starting a pipe club... In a room full of cigar smokers... One guy pulled out a pipe and said he was in, then another guy said he had one at home. Then another guy. Half the room were closet pipe smokers and thought they were the only one. Needless to say, they all loved the idea. They told me to go ahead and do it! So... Do any of you have any advice on what makes a successful club? What are things about your club that you really enjoy? Things you'd like to see in a club? I've never even been to a pipe club meeting and now find myself in a position to organize one. I could use your advice and wisdom and experience!

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Keep it simple. As long as the shop is happy you will be welcome. And the sound of the cash register makes them happy. A bunch of of guys sitting around their shop talkin' mail order sales will not. 8O

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
They don't have much in the pipe area. I talked to both the GM and the owner about getting more and offered any help and advice about what to get. They seemed pretty excited. I told them I'd much rather be able to walk in a buy from them than to order online. I'm a big fan of supporting B&Ms.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I talked to both the GM and the owner about getting more and offered any help and advice about what to get.

As long as your willing to buy it if it starts collecting dust. Remember their jobbers wholesale price might be more than you can buy it for online. 8O

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
I know it sounds silly to lots of people these days, but I really don't mind paying the few extra dollars (around here it's only like a dollar or two a tin it seems) for the customer service and the ability to smoke there, help keep the place open because B&Ms are hard to find now, and not wait for the delivery because I'm a young American who likes stuff NOW! Haha

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
We call ourselves the Lehigh Valley Pipe Club and meet in Bethlehem, PA. We meet once a month in a cigar bar on the 4th Monday of every month, Mondays a slow days so they are very happy to see a group of 10 guys show up. We also contacted Sutliff and they send us a care package of blends every month. They are very supportive of pipe clubs. PM me and I'll give you the contact info. Everyone brings something for the other to try and we just BS and laugh all night.

We are also blessed in that Russ O. from P&C is a member and usually has something in development and we are willing test subjects. One of out members id a pipe maker so that keeps things interesting.

Inviting a carver to address the group is one idea you can explore. Also, check out the pipe club section on the main forum page for ideas.

A FaceBook page could work or full blown web site. The best one I've seen is the Pipe Club of London.

http://www.pipecluboflondon.com/index.html
Good luck and have fun.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
You can also reach out to the United Pipe Clubs of America for helpful advice. Many of the largest and most successful clubs are members, and they're more than willing to lend a hand.
Russ

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
You can also reach out to the United Pipe Clubs of America for helpful advice. Many of the largest and most successful clubs are members, and they're more than willing to lend a hand.
Russ

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
Thanks Russ! Good tip. And, of course, I will be sharing my favorite Hearth and Home blends with people! Don't worry

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
This is how we began our pipe club, Quincy. We're still going strong after 15-years -
http://www.naspc.org/Archives/pipeclub.html
Pipestud

Status
Not open for further replies.