Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
Well Courtney and my stepdaughter are off to church so its time to clean all of my pipes!

IMAG0473-1.jpg

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
Me too, sitting down with a large bowl of Pete's Summertime in a Karl Erik freehand to watch "Safe House" and clean all the pipes I smoked this week. Sunday is normally "take the dogs to the beach day", but the fringe of a tropical storm is blowing in so it's a good day to stay inside.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Haha, I just cleaned all of mine too. It's like 'that time of the month' that's exclusive to pipe smokers.
Anywho, I just found out that they sell Everclear in my state now (NY, first time I've seen it) and next month everything will be cleaner.

typical98

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2012
Toronto
everclear? isn't that vodka?
i just run pipe cleaner through mine but i do donna learn how to do a proper full cleaning. Im actually gonna to so searching on this site and figure it out.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I'm actually trying to clean my pipes less. I usually get them right when I'm done smoking, but I'm trying my darnedest to let them be so I can build cake.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
@ Typical98: Everclear is grain alcohol. Everclear is something that you would put a little of into a punch bowl to make enough adult beverage for an entire party so don't drink it straight. Well, it can be done, but don't make any plans for a while because you will be righteously drunk.
Or you can just clean with it.
Here is a link to a post with a link to a video about routine pipe cleaning. Thank you Bob Tate for putting it together for our edification.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
My routine maintenance:

1. swirl the ash around the bowl, blow out.

2. run a pipe cleaner through the pipe after every smoke.

3. Then I let it sit for an hour.

4. Disassemble pipe, run cleaner dipped in grain alcohol through stem,

5. Run bristle pipe cleaner through shank, scrubbing all the gunk away.

6. Run dry pipe cleaner through stem and shank

7. Clean outside of stem to remove whatever.

8. apply Obsidian oil to vulcanite stem, let sit for half an hour

9. Wipe down stem

10. Reassemble pipe, replace in rack with a "see you next week."
If all this sounds like a like of trouble, please note that the hands on time is under 5 minutes, a small investment in keeping your pipe absolutely clean and sweet smoking. Once in a great while, I may need to ream out the cake.

mambab

Lurker
Aug 16, 2012
hi, i have no day for cleaning pipe, i prefer to clean the pipe once i finish to smoke it, a pipe cleaner, better two, a cloth, very soft and the shining cloth, 1 minute and the pipe is new again, then to clean the pipes in the racks once a week a shining cloth and half an hour time and voila, pipes on the right way to present themselves, ciao, Alex

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I actually love cleaning my pipes. It's part of the ritual of smoking for me and gives me a chance/excuse to smoke another pipe. :puffy:

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
well, iam cleaning pipes today. 3 pipes, a Dr. Garbow free hand, and 2 cheap briars. reaming, everclear inside the shanks and stems. doing a hosher salt and everclear treatment inside the bowls. i will buff the bowls after performing the interior cleaning. the stems look good on the exterior. anyone else cleaning pipes today?
take care.
mike.

Jan 8, 2013
I agree with Steve.
I really enjoy cleaning my pipes. I get to appreciate the beauty and craftsmanship of each one and generally find it to be a very relaxing way to spend an afternoon.
Of course getting them dirty again is my favorite part.
Rudy

Status
Not open for further replies.