PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I went to the B&M yesterday and finally found bristle pipe cleaners (they didn't carry them until now), by Savinelli. Man, let me tell you, these are some sturdy pipe cleaners, they resemble wire brushes more than anything else I have seen, and I did use bristle pipe cleaners in the past. I am not sure whether this is a new product by savinelli, or just a new product for the store where I shop. They are fantastic for using on the shank, gets it sufficiently clean using just one cleaner with both ends, that I just have to use a fluffy one afterwards for soaking the remainder moisture. In the past I used Peterson bristle cleaners, and a generic brand for the fluffier ones, or just fluffies whenever I couldn't get bristle. I am quite a happy camper .. as my pipes are just as clean now, using less resources.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I was running low on pipe cleaners this past weekend and I didn't feel like driving 45 minutes to a B&M. I decided to check the local Walgreens (why not? they sell MM cobs). This is what I found...a 3 pack for $5.99. They are very rigid (almost too rigid) and are fine until I can order some others.
img_20180718_070841.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My local indy pipe shop owner pointed out to me that the bristles are nylon, hence softer than the stem material, so they don't scratch up the airway. They feel pretty prickly, but are designed for their job. I have some I use for churchwardents, extra long, and some regular length as well. Usually I just use the fluffy ones for clearing the airway and moisture, but the bristle ones are a good backup to catch any stray leaf or pipe cleaner fluff for that matter.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I use bristles exclusively, but had to stop using them on meer chambers. Scratches them up.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
sablebrush52 it's a no brainer only when all the enumerated tools are readily available. In my case at least, I use whatever I can find, and fluffy ones were the only ones I could find for a long time now ...

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I've never been able to get the bristle type cleaners

Strange, Brigham makes them. I can get them at my local tobacconist.
I grabbed a bag of Vauen bristled cleaners at the KaDeWe, but I haven't yet needed to use them. My pipes don't seem to get dirty or soggy.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
I have bunches of both, and grab a pack at random until it's empty then move on to the next. They all work well for me.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've got Long's regular, tapered, and brush.

The brush are used sparingly, and tend to be of softer wire, making them more 'crinkable'.

I use a lot of the reg's.

Status
Not open for further replies.