Pipes Magazine » Pipe Repair and Maintenance

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Pipe Cleaners Are Clogging My Pipes!

(27 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

My Jesus, guys! I bought those Long's extra absorbent pipe cleaners, the ones that come in 56 packs? They keep clogging my pipe stems!

After my Rattray, it happened to one of my Stanwells. I had the pipe cleaner throught the airway to absorb the humidity overnight. This afternoon, I removed the pipe cleaner and did what I always did afterwards: I blew in the airhole.

Well, it was blocked. I finally managed to pass a bristle cleaner through and it dragged with it a big chunk of cotton from the &?%$* pipe cleaner.

I ain't buying those Long's no more, let me tell ya. Especially after it's costing me a new stem for my Rattray...

Any suggestions on good quality pipe cleaners, mates?

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. eightywon

eightywon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like Dill's. They don't leave much lint behind, their thin wires work well in bent pipes, don't scrape like other cleaners and come in convenient cardboard packages good for on the go.

"There's nothing quite like tobacco: it's the passion of decent folk, and whoever lives without tobacco doesn't deserve to live."

-Molière
    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Where do you buy them, eighty?

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. eightywon

eightywon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see them all the time at drug stores and liquor stores, but I just picked up a carton of 20-32 packs (640 cleaners) for $23.50 at P&C.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Darn I'm in Canada...Can't order from P & C!

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. eightywon

eightywon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see 4 noggins has them at 1.99/32 pack.

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I like Dill's. They don't leave much lint behind, their thin wires work well in bent pipes, don't scrape like other cleaners and come in convenient cardboard packages good for on the go.

Seen! You buy the bristle ones, as I understand?

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. eightywon

eightywon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Standard actually. I've never tried their bristles, but plan on getting some in the future. Have plenty of BJ bristles on hand at the moment.

Posted 4 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Used both Dill and Longs across the years. 5 years running now on the Longs regular, fluffy, and bristle types. I run a swab through after smoking every pipe, and another just before firing one up again.

I have been smoking pipe for 43 years. There are currently around 30 pipes in my rotation--and I smoke all day long.

Never in all of that time or experience have I ever had the problem described here. Nor do I know anyone else that has. This applies to my own collection, and the pipes I have maintained or repaired for others.

But then again, the whole idea of sticking a cleaner in a pipe and leaving it there does not strike me as very clever--as it is just asking for the cotton to bind with residual oils and tars to the sides of the draught hole.

The easy way to solve the problem--one that is entirely avoidable--is to stop leaving the cleaner in the pipe.

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. eightywon

eightywon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I still use BJ Longs too. I like the Dill's for bent pipes for the above reasons. Still prefer Longs for straight pipes. Hate Brigham cleaners. I don't leave my cleaners in my pipes, but think the Dill's would work well if I did.

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will always run the pipe cleaner through my fingers to remove the loose / excess fluf prior to running it through my pipe. This does not remove all, but a solid blow through he pipe after cleaning has always cleared the airway for me.

Posted 4 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have been smoking pipe for 43 years. There are currently around 30 pipes in my rotation--and I smoke all day long.
    Never in all of that time or experience have I ever had the problem described here. Nor do I know anyone else that has. This applies to my own collection, and the pipes I have maintained or repaired for others.
    But then again, the whole idea of sticking a cleaner in a pipe and leaving it there does not strike me as very clever--as it is just asking for the cotton to bind with residual oils and tars to the sides of the draught hole.

Thank God and to you, ae1pt, I understand my problem - and it's so simple!: I am dumb! The problem, of course, is not the manufacturer, but me! I should have known!!!!
    Then, explain to me, so confident with your 43 years (bravo!)of experience as a pipe smoker, why, over the course of the last 8 years, I have been consistently buying and using only these pipe cleaners; and have been leaving a pipe cleaner through the airway overnight and am just experiencing a clogging problem now? Of course, my pipes are the problem!!!!

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. zekest

zekest

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always get my pipe cleaners from the local craft store. They are better quality. I like the sparkly blue ones best.

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ae1pt is from the government. He's here to help.

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Gee junkyarddawg, I don't have an answer for that. I am just relating my experience and that of others I know. Sorry that infuriates you. Maybe you got a bad batch. Maybe its the tobacco you are smoking now.

But seeing as you took the opportunity to turn my comment into a personal attack, I don't have a lot of further interest in the matter...

woodsroad wrote:

Ae1pt is from the government. He's here to help.

I am indeed! Glad I could be of assistance...

Posted 4 years ago #
  16. virginiacob

virginiacob

Login to Send PM

I've had pretty good luck with Peterson pipe cleaners. I've had some other brands that seem to shed cotton but the Peterson cleaners so far seem to hold up well.

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've experienced a pack or two of cleaners that were "shedders." I suppose it's a matter of mechanical problems at the place of manufacture. I used to pass the unused ones on to the kid but, she's near 40 now and not much interested in playing with pipe cleaners. So now, when I get a bad pack, into the trash can they go as I can't think of an alternative use.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  18. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

aept1, I only retain the obscure minutia.

Posted 4 years ago #
  19. jmill208

jmill208

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've experienced the extra "fluff" lately too, on the BJ Longs.

As northernneil said, run it through your fingers to knock off the unattached fiber and you'll be just fine. You may still get a few threads, but not a ball big enough to clog.

Posted 4 years ago #
  20. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the Dill's.. the wife gets them at the grocery checkout. I never much understood leaving a cleaner in the pipe. I thought the reason to rest pipes was to let them air and dry.

Posted 4 years ago #
  21. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Regular old Longs, not extra absorbent, have worked for me mostly, in my wide variety of pipes. One
    time I had a French pipe with a particularly narrow lovely looking shank and stem, but it absolutely ate
    pipe cleaner fluff. I worked at clearing it every time I smoked the pipe, but it finally became annoying and
    I traded in the pipe and a few other culls for something else.

Posted 4 years ago #
  22. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I never leave a pipe cleaner in the stem as it never made any sense to me. After all, you run a p/c through the stem to clean and absorb moisture, which of course it does. However, it seems to completely defeat the purpose of leaving a p/c in the stem, which has obviously absorbed moisture, to then only leave it the stem! The p/c will only then absorb moisture, with no place to go and evaporate, which will then degrade the p/c over time/over night and it will then leave a residue of some sort. Bottom line... by all means run a p/c through the stem to absorb the moisture, but then remove it!

~I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.~
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. Mark Twain
    Posted 4 years ago #
  23. dhizzy

dhizzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

junkyarddawg, I have experienced the same problem with Long's cleaners. Lots of extra fluff, even after I try to knock off the excess. And there was no need for ae1pt to respond the way he did. Simply stating that he disagrees with leaving it in there would have sufficed. I don't leave pipe cleaners in mine but I can understand the idea as to why someone might do it.

By the eternal! There is a man whose form should be cast in deathless bronze and the statue placed in every college in the land. It is not book-learning young men need, nor instruction about this and that, but a stiffening of the vertebrae which will cause them to be loyal to a trust, to act promptly, concentrate their energies; do the thing - "carry a message to Garcia!" Elbert Hubbard "A Message to Garcia" 1899
    Posted 4 years ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

ae1pt: Really, now? And to say what I did was not very clever, and that you never do it and never met anyone whom does it, that is, of course, not a personal attack?

Thanks for all your suggestions, gents.

Posted 4 years ago #
  25. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think common sense should tell us that when you put a fuzzy device into a moist sticky area and leave it there to dry what the result would be. It STICKS!

tinner

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 4 years ago #
  26. thesmokingtexan

thesmokingtexan

Login to Send PM

I have been buying my pipe cleaners from Walmart. They are not 100% cotton but they don't leave anything behind. I stopped using cotton ones when it left a fur ball under my tobacco and I had to dump a whole bowl of ODF.

Posted 4 years ago #
  27. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hate smoking fur balls... too much tongue bite.

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   buzkirk, sumusfumus, odobenus, disinformatique, headhunter, donjgiles, ormazd, justanotherdude