PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
sorry if this was already asked but my search brought up nothing close. whats everyone use for pipe cleaners? ive been using Brigham bristle cleaners and they seem to work well. ive also used Medico non-bristled ones but didnt care for them. how bout you guys? favourite kinds and duds!

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
pdfservlet.jpg

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I wouldn't use bristled cleaners in the stem. Over time it can wear a hole in the stem. Use just normal pipe cleaners like Philip showed you for the stem and bristled ones for the pipe itself. I have found that the bristled cleaners get grim out of the shank much better.
havent seen those before Philip, where do you get them?

Also, basicaly all of the site sponsors sell them. So you could pick them up along with some tobacco or a new pipe.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I use BJ Long cleaners I pick up from my local B&M. One of those things I could probably get online cheaper but they're only a few bucks a pack and it gives me a reason to stop in and support the local B&M every so often. I usually always come back with a tin of tobacco and a cigar or three as well.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Every online order I place, and every time (rarely now) I visit a B+M I make sure to get a bunch of cleaners and whatever other accessories I need. As far as preference, I've tried most of them and I'm not picky. Most of the places I deal with carry Long's...

pipeshark

Might Stick Around
Oct 7, 2012
Az
+1 for long extra absorbent, but really I tend to just buy whatever is cheapest. Haven't ran across any train wrecks yet pipe cleaner wise, and I would hope that any reputable establishment, online or B&M, selling pipes and tobacc, will carry appropriate cleaners. Now the craft store... not so much.

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
I use dills , longs , and yellow bole . I also bought a box of 1500 on ebay for $15 . The ebays and yellow bole do leave a little fuzz , so I dont use them on my smaller bore stems . I use ebay bristle cleaners for the pipe bowls , I also use a couple of soft brass brisle gun cleaning brushes on a few of my bowls , mainly the ones that dont require a reaming @ the time . I use a thin shoe string soaked in everclear on the stems that they fit in . Even after a soak in everclear , the shoe string pulls out tons of tar , oils , and gunk . I think the shoe string bit does as good , on some of my stems ,as a retort . After smoking a pipe the last 4 or 5 years im just discovering the wonders of a retort . After a good retort , I need very few pipe cleaners . :puffpipe:

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Wow--gun bristle brushes for a small bore gun, like a .22! i never thought of that! Been trying to find a small bristle brush from a local store and the smallest they have is a 'nipple' brush for a baby bottle.
Cajundad-thinking out of the box. Great
Allan

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Longs extra absorbent here as well.... but mainly because thats what they carry at my local B&M (if you want to call it a B&M, its a Davids Gifts & Tobacco's.

Just as Msandoval stated, I use it as an excuse to run in and come out with a tin or two :)

Status
Not open for further replies.