PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Today I encountered a problem I've never had before - a pipe cleaner got completely stuck in the stem (it's a P-lip, naturally.) I was using a tapered cleaner and inadvertently stuck it in wide side first. When I went to pull it out, it wouldn't budge.
I was afraid to pull too hard, so, holding onto the stem and tenon I twisted and twisted and after about 5 minutes of high anxiety, finally got it out. Whew! It really had me worried there for a bit. I hope I haven't damaged the pipe. When it cools down, I'll remove the stem and give it a good inspection.
Have any of you experienced this before? Any suggestions (other than not putting it in wrong end first - duh!)?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Padre you need to open the P-Lip up a little, Mr English passed this good tip to me , get a drill bit and by hand very carefully open up the hole being careful not to punch thru, I used it on a Pete I had that a small cleaner was very hard to pull thru, now I can pull a big fluffy thru and the performance of the pipe is better. The old cajun

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
"get a drill bit and by hand very carefully open up the hole being careful not to punch thru"
Are you saying to just take the drill bit in hand and use it to enlarge the hole? I think that scares me more than the stuck cleaner! I did order some extra-thin cleaners that are advertised as being good for Petes, and next time I'll put my glasses on before inserting the cleaner!
Thanks for the tip, Cajun.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Yes get a small pair of needle nose vice grips, find a drill bit a little larger than your P-Lip draw Hole , Say a prayer and drill baby drill. The old cajun PS No desrespect Padre just treating you like one of the guys, OK, if not I apologize. The old cajun :laughat:

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
Go buy a T-handle for the bit if you are able.
Yes this recently happend to me.sent to walker for repair.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
Cajun, I AM just one of the (old) guys!
In regard to the thinner pipe cleaners, I found those at 4 noggins: http://www.4noggins.com/falconextrathinpipecleaners-bagof50.aspx
Thanks, everybody, for all the tips!

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
What about letting the pipe cool down, remove the stem and take the tapered cleaner out from the other end?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Some people love their P-lips, I can't understand it for the life of me though, I hate those things. I agree with the above poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.