Pipe cellaring goals anyone?

(47 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by zitotczito
  • Latest reply from condorlover1
  1. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Besides as much as possible. I retire in 1 and 1/2 years and my goal is to have 1 tin for each week for 10 years. When I think about it that does not seem like enough.

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. ocpsdan

Dan

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't call mine a goal, but rather a ceaseless recurrence with the hopes of always having a fat cellar.

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I go by blend if I like it I make sure I have at least 5 tins of it at all times and I replace it with one once I open one. Keeps the Baccy at the age I like that way.

A Great Storm No Matter How Great, Will Always Pass.
    But The Clam After, Is What You Must Master, In Order For Life To Last.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

While not as big as others I recently hit my goal of 125 pounds. Now it's just a couple of tins here and there.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. hiplainsdrifter

hiplainsdrifter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have surpassed my goal. I only smoke about 1 bowl/week and it will take me a long time to work through what I have, even though I am young. I would guess I have under 50 lbs.

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. jon11

jon11

Login to Send PM

I think you should go for 20 years...1040 tins. If you get 2 oz. tins that's 130 pounds Zito! You got 1.5 years to make it happen, good luck!

Posted 4 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Cellaring is probably too grandiose a word for what I am doing. I currently have about 14 pounds of various bulk blends and tins that I enjoy, and would like to get that up to about 20 pounds. With the limited amount I smoke, I figure that should keep me supplied for the rest of my life (I am 54). I will continue to try new blends along the way, but my plan is to have five pounds of each of my four favorite English/Balkan blends.

Posted 4 years ago #
  8. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm just barely beginning to stash tobacco, so my current goal is to find a dozen (or so) blends that I want to have on hand at all times. So far, I've got 3 or 4 "must haves", and one has already been discontinued (Sugar Barrel), so I'm off to a slow start...

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 4 years ago #
  9. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No goals, I just keep stacking tins and filling jars as I see fit. I don't have the funds nor the space to go bananas and order up 20 tins of a blend when it comes back in stock on each site.

Posted 4 years ago #
  10. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I need a new pipeline. My Fiance moved up to WA from OR so I can no longer get it through her... sigh. I have 20lb or so.

Posted 4 years ago #
  11. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Today I finished jarring up all of my bulk and fifty some open tins. It took 48 half pint jars, 28 pints,
    and 34 quarts. I still have about 5 pounds in unopened tins. I put labels on the jar lids that include the weight of the contents, and that totaled out at 46 pounds. That was a lot of work that took 2 days to complete! I made an order of 4 lbs today. I think I should put the brakes on the speed I'm going. I just started this in February. I will have a total of 880 ounces, and if one smoked 2oz/week that's damn near 17 years and I'm 61 and smoked cigarettes for 42 years. Now trying to be a glass half full guy I think I probably have all the cellar I'm gonna need. I guess I could rationalize that I'm doing it as an investment. It's too much fun to just stop cold turkey, right?

tinner

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 4 years ago #
  12. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The TAD is nearly impossible to quit cold turkey...

Well done on the jarring tho. That can be an arduous task!

Posted 4 years ago #
  13. jon11

jon11

Login to Send PM

Whoever dies with the most pipes and most tobacco wins!!

Posted 4 years ago #
  14. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 @jon. In that case Peck is beating us all. He's damn near lapped everybody.

Posted 4 years ago #
  15. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My goal right now is 33lbs., then when that is done it's 66 lbs. Are you seeing a pattern? I'm still trying blends I want to keep around, as well as stocking up on the stuff I already know I like.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 4 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I really don't have goal per se, just buy as I go.

I started cellaring last November, and probably have 80 lbs, as typically, (as I am prone to do) I can go overboard, so I budgeted by putting away $40 weekly through payroll deduction for tobacco though the company credit union.
    One week covers my double down PTOMC through P&C, and that gives me $120 in a four week month to pull the trigger on the best deal that strikes my fancy, and well over the $99 free shipping thresh-hold.

Any pipes come out of the general budget, but that is not a priority.

Posted 4 years ago #
  17. ericthered

ericthered

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My goal right now is not to cellar as much as it is to try the widest variety of blends possible. As I try new blends I'll be jarring up what I have, so a bit of a cellar will be built by default. Once I settle on a collection of blends that I prefer I will then set my goals on building a modest cellar. I smoke one or two bowls a week and my budget is minimal so a modest cellar is all I need, and more importantly, all I can afford.

Posted 4 years ago #
  18. layinpipe

layinpipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just wanna be like Peck. Going cold turkey on PAD/TAD can be done, i did it for over 2 months.

Posted 4 years ago #
  19. mrjerke

JJ Pipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No specific goal for me. Just getting as much of what I like as I can. Never know when it may never return!

http://www.tobaccocellar.com/SlimPickens

Jordan

"The trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead." - Marjorie Pay Hinckley
    Posted 4 years ago #
  20. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey Zito, when you know what blends you will call "keepers" part of your cellar should be bulk
    because it's much more affordable. The online sellers all have sales on blends every week and
    if you get on their email list they will let you know what and when. Then get some canning jars,
    that come in several sizes.

tinner

Posted 4 years ago #
  21. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

just wanna be like Peck. Going cold turkey on PAD/TAD can be done, i did it for over 2 months.

LOL, I am pretty proud that I haven't bought any pipes in 5 weeks. See guys, it can be done. I will admit though that I have bought some tobacco in that time, so I ain't a perfect role model on the TAD front.

Posted 4 years ago #
  22. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't call mine a goal, but rather a ceaseless recurrence with the hopes of always having a fat cellar.

+1

"Be seeing you"

Posted 4 years ago #
  23. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Realistically, I'd like to have enough to smoke for maybe fifteen years without buying any.

I like some tobacco fresher, so I'm not all that concerned about buying enough to last the fifty years American life expectancy says I'll have. Smoking ten year old Bohemian Scandal makes me realize that there is definitely an upper limit for latakia blends being to my taste. With Virginias, I'd love to be smoking some at forty years.

Posted 4 years ago #
  24. pylorns

pylorns

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

100-200lbs I think will do me just fine.

Posted 4 years ago #
  25. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since i started Cellaring i have lost some interest in PAD and have developed an infatuation with TAD i just like watching the weight grow i went from 5lbs to 8lbs in a few weeks and i look forward to tobacco packages a lot more then i ever did waiting for a pipe. But of course i still love my pipes i just love the smoke more.

Posted 4 years ago #
  26. eightywon

eightywon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't know if I have any goals set in mind, but I was recently trying to do a little math. After some headache, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you smoke a bowl/day for a year, that would be roughly just under 3 lbs. With about 15 lbs. in the cellar, another few lbs. open and in rotation and a couple lbs. in the mail, that puts me just over 20 lbs w/o 1 blend that I can enjoy everyday for a year. A little disheartening prospective.

"There's nothing quite like tobacco: it's the passion of decent folk, and whoever lives without tobacco doesn't deserve to live."

-Molière
    Posted 4 years ago #
  27. smeigs

smeigs

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would like to have approx 10 pounds. I know that is probably more than enough for me but I figured it is basically an investment. Tobacco will never be cheaper than today so I figured Ill smoke some, give some to friends and possibly sell some.

“A pipe in the mouth makes it clear that there has been no mistake–you are undoubtedly a man.”
    Posted 4 years ago #
  28. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have no such goal. Seeing that I only smoke about 2 to 3 bowls a day I don’t concern myself over having a shit load of tobacco. I have no idea how much I have, but a very rough estimate would be about 8 or possibly 10 pounds tops of various blends in Mason jars and unopened tins. Even with that small amount, as compared to others, I consider it to be too much and I’ll more likely than not ever smoke some of the blends that I have simply because I don’t care for them. That’s not to say I’ll not continue in purchasing and trying various other blends out of curiosity from time to time, but living on a pension necessitates much higher priorities in my life.

~I started out with nothing, and still have most of it.~
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. Mark Twain
    Posted 4 years ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Luckily for me, the tobaccos I enjoy the most (Stokkebye Proper English and English Luxury, Lane Crown Achievement, Sutliff Balkan Luxury 957 and Larry's Blend) are all relatively inexpensive and easy to locate. So I don't have to break the bank to build up a decent stock of tobacco as a hedge against future price increases.

Posted 4 years ago #
  30. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the nice comments, very interesting. Life expectancy is about 22 years so as jon11 so nicely states: "I think you should go for 20 years...1040 tins. If you get 2 oz. tins that's 130 pounds Zito! You got 1.5 years to make it happen, good luck!"

And so it shall be. Keep encouraging me, TAD is so much fun and I love boxes at the front door. I will now being trying a lot of the blends to see what I really like and then start as mentioned to buy in bulk. My main bulk of 2 lbs is 4Noggins CHF which I really liked.

Posted 4 years ago #
  31. snagstangl

snagstangl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I usually have a bowl a day, it depends. Im sure I have more than I will ever smoke unless i start constanly smoking. I probably got 30 or 40 pounds. 2/3 of it bulk in jars.

Posted 4 years ago #
  32. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My goal is to get down there and make an updated list of what I've got. Been busy cellaring for for the past few years and last time I did a tally was last year sometime. I still have newer tins tucked away in the coat closet that haven't been moved down to the main storage cabinet yet. And with a few new tins on the way I need to get on the ball.

Who is the forum member here that developed a tobacco cellar software? I meant to check that out back when I first learned of it.

Posted 4 years ago #
  33. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't have much of a stash, but it seems to take me forever to open a tin while I'm puffing away on various
    bulk blends. I'm not sure I'd still enjoy a blend if I had five pounds of it, fickle as that sounds. If I had to,
    I suppose I could stretch a can of Carter Hall for a year, but a lot of the pleasure is being able to enjoy blends
    and then move on to the next exciting new tin or bulk.

Posted 4 years ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

MSO489, do you find the blood rushing to the right side of your head?

Posted 4 years ago #
  35. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

MSO489, do you find the blood rushing to the right side of your head?

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 4 years ago #
  36. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bentmike use http://www.tobaccocellar.com it's a great system.

Posted 4 years ago #
  37. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks smokey -That's the one! If it turns rainy this weekend maybe I'll get started.

Posted 4 years ago #
  38. phil67

phil67

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks smokey -That's the one! If it turns rainy this weekend maybe I'll get started.

It might be best to find another site to keep track of your tobacco as peck is using too much bandwith on that one and it's liable to crash at any moment.

Posted 4 years ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

An interesting question for a lot of reasons. For the most of my 40some years of pipe smoking, I have never been ahead more than 1 pound (the most economical price for the tin vs pouch)--nor had more than one or two tobaccos on hand. And in the mien, probably buying most of that biweekly in 3-4 ounce lots.

I order now biweekly, around $100-125 of tobacco. Of late, that always includes 1 pound of Vintage Syrian--my top regular smoker--as we all know that someday the current stock of Syrian Latakia is going to run out. I have probably 6 pounds of that now, and am about to put in another order.

This is an investment as well as a price hedge and aging process to achieve rounded tobaccos. Each order also includes a tin of Lat Flake. I have 10 tins--and in the next month or so all will be worth at retail at least $3 more than what I paid for them. All in all, a decade down the line I understand that every unopened or jarred blend will be worth significantly more than I paid for it.

As to a lifetime of smoking? Don't know. As mso pointed out, tastes can change across time. My biological stop watch is set to time out in 20-30 years--barring issues. I figure that I smoke about 4-6 ounces of 9 'regular' blends per week. That's a lot of tobacco to store away on the 30 year plan. If I were to state a goal, it is probably 100 pounds cellared in the next year. Reevaluation to occur then. There are several blends, such as 1792, Gaslight, Capstan Blue--that are not to be opened for at least 2-5 years.

Hopefully I will live to enjoy them. If not, it will be a hell of an estate sale for a tobacco aficionado...

Posted 4 years ago #
  40. buzkirk

buzkirk

Login to Send PM

Tim, I think you need enough to rival your cigar collection ! lol !

Tom

Posted 4 years ago #
  41. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tom, didn't know you were over here, nice hearing from you. Yea on the cigar collection, at last inventory it's 3600 cigars, a cigar a day for 10 years. And so it shall be with the pipe baccy. Since I am retiring in the beginning of 2016, my goal is to have enough stash of both to cover 10 years without having to buy anything, like that's going to happen, LOL. I'm doing as much OT as I can stand to cover all of this. It's just that the cigars are really getting overpriced now and since I am really enjoying the pipe, no time like the present to build the cellar.

Here's the url for my cellar:

http://www.tobaccocellar.com/zitotczito

Posted 4 years ago #
  42. buzkirk

buzkirk

Login to Send PM

Great to see you over here, yeah I've been here since Kevin started this site, read everything just don't post much.
    I talked to cycleman a while back, he said he was down to 1 cigar a month now.

Remember pipe tobacco is cheaper, but the PAD thing can get pricy ! lol!

Miss the old days of CigarReview, but everything must progress.

Tom

Posted 4 years ago #
  43. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just finished putting my current stash on tobaccocellar.com. Will have two 4 lb orders come this week
    and then I'm going to stop, except for special sales.

tinner

Posted 4 years ago #
  44. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I simply want a long supply of well aged (15 yr plus) with no worries of running short. I just want to be able to weather any storm that might come my way. I am sufficiently weather proof at the present time!

Mike S.

Posted 4 years ago #
  45. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have no goals. I just buy baccy when I'm able to do so and just add it to the cellar. Its stocking up nicely. I like the idea of having multiple tins of blends I enjoy but unfortunately the budget doesn't allow for it to happen at this time. I've got a nice little cellar and I'll just add to it slowly.

Posted 4 years ago #
  46. yaboofive

Richard Gonzalez

Login to Send PM

At this point I don't really have a goal for my cellar. I just hope that it continues to hold out until i get a job. these last two years of unemployment have been rough on my tobacco stocks.

Posted 4 years ago #
  47. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was thinking of picking up fifty pounds of Condor Green and about the same in Condor plug as that would keep me going for a year or two and I could always add to it. With our War Horse project I wouldn't need to buy in Condor as I would have all I needed on my door step but more about that later!

Posted 4 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   georged, cossackjack, davidy97, dcon, canucklehead, hauntedmyst, tbradsim1, americaman, geopiper, heeman, upnorth1, weezell, ashdigger, swan, ron123, npod