PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I bought this pipe case today, but I have no idea how well it will perform. They mystery of internet shopping, I guess.
I have to transport some of my briars (10 or so at a time) internationally on long and sometimes rough journeys. I have always used pipe socks in the past and put them in with my luggage. It never felt very comfortable, especially with some of the higher priced pipes.
So, this pipe bag is supposed to add some extra safety and it will travel in a bag that I carry with me. I saw some bags that look like a briefcase or rucksack/messenger bag for your pipes, but I didn't want to dedicate so much space to just pipes. I was trying to find something in-between that could hold a handful of pipes and not be made of overly cheap material that will need to be replaced in a year's worth of use.
It was surprisingly tough for me to find a pipe case. To my eye, it seemed to go from very cheap, poorly made looking options to these large carrying cases that look like they could fit a laptop.
Anyone have luck with finding a good pipe case that has stood the test of time?
I think I'll need to buy another one, to fit the remainder of the pipes I like to travel with, but these Brigham cases are now sold out everywhere I look. And besides, it might not be very good anyway. I'm just taking a chance here.
It's roughly 8" x 5" x 2" for all of the Americans here. A two pipe bag by the same maker was 1" less at 4", so I went with the 4 pipe bag and extra inch.
001-069-0532.4601.jpg

001-069-0532_1.3015.jpg

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Well, I guess I'll kick it around for awhile when it gets here and let everyone know how it goes. The inside leather looks suspect, but most look like that. Being Brigham, I thought it'd at least be medium quality.
Not a lot of reviews of pipe bags out there. I only really plan on using it to transport my stash from one semi-permanent spot to another. I just prefer to buy something once, so there's the quality issue. Not much word on the inter-webs about the quality of pipe cases.
There will be some more soon...

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have one similar to that made by Peterson. It does it's job like it's supposed to, but it's too big for me. I only smoke one pipe a day, and sometimes one pipe a year. So really it's not practical for me. But someone that travels a lot, who needs more than one pipe like you, I'm sure it's great.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I have one nearly identical to that. No problems to report. mine was made my Castleton.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I also have the Peterson version, which works fine.

For air travel, I wanted something with better protection in an overhead bin, so I found these hard-shell foam cases. They were at the time "Exhale" and I'm sure they were for glass paraphanelia, but they are less than $20 (were) and offer great protection. For a week on the road, I can fit five pipes, in socks, in this case, along with my tamper/cleaners and leather pipe rest:

Status
Not open for further replies.