PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhat84

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2014
Hi guys, was curious, I recently bought my first pipe cabinet, but one thing I'm curious about is if the pipes need to "breath" , i dont know if I make myself clear, does it matter if they are stored in the cabinet with the tobacco, ???

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Interesting question, but I think any "breathing" a pipe did in a place where tobacco is stored would be a good thing. Also I think recently smoked pipes should get 1-3 days of drying, outside of a cabinet.
tinner

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
blackhat84:
Welcome aboard, Sir!
I have stored by collection of 60+ pipes in a "cabinet" (actually the drawers of an antique Governor Winthrop drop-front desk) for a number of years, and find that they breathe well therein. I did this at the advice of sablebrush52, a member of this Forum, who recommended this as a means of minimizing the oxidation of the pipes' Vulcanite stems due to exposure to light.
Insofar as storing your pipes together with your tobaccos, if the latter are well sealed, then I cannot imagine that this would pose any problems.
Good Luck, and Good Smoking!

I saw a picture, I can't remember where I saw it, but it was a rack of Dunhills, bowl side down behind glass, and each one had what looked like a surgical tube attached to the stem, and it had air or something circulating through the pipe. That, of course, was an extremely OCD sort of pipe guy.
My pipes get tossed and set on the dashboard on some days. I've carried them in my pocket all day. I've used them to drive nails and have defended myself against wild dogs with them. I've even burned things in them. I don't have any oxidation, and they look great. Of course I do not plan on using them as some sort of investment, and I want them added to my funeral pyre, when the time comes. They look good too :puffy:
Do what you want with them. I think that they can survive more than what we give them credit .

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Unless your pipe cabinet is hermetically sealed and has a vacuum pump attached, the air inside the cabinet will suffice for any "breathing" done by a piece of wood and vulcanite (or acrylic).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
+1 phred. Nearly all pipe racks and cabinets have sufficient airflow to allow pipes to breathe. Three of my four

racks store the pipes in the open, but the one with doors and glass front is hardly airtight. No worries.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
I have some 2 racks that I keep my pipes in that I keep in the bottom of my clothes cabinet, and they are perfectly fine, as for my tobacco I keep in a draw in my drop top desk and they stay perfectly in their.

blackhat84

Might Stick Around
May 2, 2014
So if a store my pipes and my tobacco in the same closed cabinet, then its OK ??

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
So if a store my pipes and my tobacco in the same cabinet, then its OK ??
No idea why it wouldn't be - you smoke the tobacco in the pipes, and that's a lot more up close and personal than shared storage. My B&M has a few expensive pipes in a locked cabinet, but everything else is in clips on the wall out on the main floor, where the cigar guys are puffing away. Not a problem for the pros, so I wouldn't worry about it at home either.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
You're welcome!
I'm currently storing my pipes and tobacco on bookshelves in the den, but I plan to buy or make some sort of cabinet for them at some point when we finish reorganizing that space. Evidently, my wife is of the opinion that the egg carton I'm currently using as a pipe stand is tacky... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.