PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
We will never buy a pipe that does not pass a fluffy cleaner with ease.
We will never buy a pipe that is not drilled dead center on the bottom of the bowl.
We will never buy a pipe where the stem does not fit flush to the shank.
We will make every person who sells me a pipe inspect that pipe for these issues.
We will no longer settle for less than well constructed pipes.
We will return any pipe that does not meet these specifications.
We will hold all pipe mfgs to a higher standard.
We will shout it to the roof tops when a mfg fails to meet our requirements.
So is anyone with me or do you all think I am just some crazy old man with too much time on his hands? :crazy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like this guy's attitude! :laughat:

bobpnm.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
avoid estate pipes that have charring, spider webbing/cracks, and/or are reamed out of round.
That should definitely be in the manifesto, good points roth.
Glad to see we are in agreement, and that there are other crazy old men like me. :lol:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
We will shout it to the roof tops when a mfg fails to me our requirements.
Been there - done that - $250.00 fine and Public Intoxication/Disorderly Conduct charges.
Other than that I'm all for it.
:rofl:
As for the manifesto, I definitely concur. I only wish I had understood these things better a couple of years ago.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
OK, someone needs to disagree. It is not possible to become good at pipemaking without making lots of mistakes along the way. Briar costs money, and the tools are also expensive. The new carvers know that their work is not worth $250 or $400. But it certainly is worth something. Maybe the drilling is off. Maybe the grain is not spectacular. As long as it smokes and the buyer and seller are happy, what's the problem? This assumes that all issues are known before the price is agreed upon.
If any carvers out there have a nosewarmer poker with a tapered bit that is not ready for primetime, let me know.
Winton

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
captainsousie, I'm with you. I have pipes that break all those rules, yet still smoke as good as any. I don't think the tobacco knows where the draft whole is or whose name is stamped on the pipe its going in.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Here's one to add to your list. Sure to garner up a storm: Abolish on-line auctions for pipes! The way its going these days on eBay, only the richest and fastest or the luckiest among us walk away with the pipe. Instead, just up-load your pipe and state your price. Like a store, or like the artisan websites. I'm sick and tired of playing sniping games to purchase a pipe. For me, its not pleasurable to have to fight over a pipe. I just fish for Buy it Now options on eBay these days. I'd almost rather spend more for a pipe at a set price, knowing for certain that its mine, than play some jumping game to get a pipe. Maybe its my age, or my outlook on life, but the whole thing reeks of subterfuge, dishonesty and caprciousness. I just want to buy the effing pipe, not place a bet on the horses.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My point is that even pipes that sell for 50.00 new should be drilled right and have the stems fit flush and if that is not the case then people should not buy them and return them if they get one. There are plenty of companies like Savinelli and Tsuge who are selling pipes that meet the manifesto's criteria so why settle?

Status
Not open for further replies.