PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I recently got a wonderful billiard that smoked great, but after two weeks it didn't seem to smoke so well. Then, by chance, I saw light showing through the chamber: the pipe didn't just crack, but it burned through into a large hole. The vendor exchanged the pipe, somewhat reluctantly, but I'm wondering how often this kind of burn through happens: freak occurance of a bad selection of briar? Will this happen to the exchaged pipe? I hope not, because it is truly a unique billiard, a H&H Signature pipe, quite huge.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'd say that's pretty rare. You never really know what's inside the briar. As I understand it the H&H series is being made by Kaywoodie. They make good pipes and I'm sure a replacement will be fine.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
That's most unfortunate. I have no firsthand experience -- none of the pipes I've had ever had a problem like that. It seems rare, else I'd expect more posts about such on this forum. Every once in a while there is a post about a burn through, but with all the pipes owned by all of the members here it seems there are very few posts about burn through. A flaw in the briar seems the most likely explanation. As far as I know, no one x-rays or does a sonogram before they leave the shop/factory so a soft spot or a void could go unnoticed. You're an experienced pipe smoker, so I very much doubt it was you. I'll go out on a limb and guess that you were not lighting your pipe with an acetylene torch? Probably a defect in the briar, not the way the pipe was made, so I'd be stunned if the same happens to the replacement. Here's hoping that the replacement pipe smokes like a champ and brings you many years of good service.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Actually Kaywoodie once boasted that they did put their bowls under X-ray examination. That was a long, long time ago (pre-Frank ownership), and I do not know whether they still perform the extra quality control step.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I just looked up that line of pipes. At $120-$130 they are certainly not cheap pipes. They are quite attractive, and I hope your replacement looks as good and holds up better.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
It happened to me only one time when I was smoking hot as a young lad - smoking the pipe hot of course. :lol: I will never forget the taste of smoking the pipe and not the tobacco - yuck! 8O

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
papipeguy, Where did you hear that Kaywoodie is making the H&H Signature pipes? I can certainly see the family resemblance in the pipes. I am just interested in being able to substantiate the connection.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I stated breaking in a Standwell with quarter bowls, after the first couple of bowls I noticed a sandpit towards the top of the bowl, inside the bowl. I bit of pipe mud and it's been fine but if I'd not noticed I bet it would have burnt through.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Never had a burn-through over some years and decades. I surmise it is a flaw in the briar that focuses the heat and gets a fire going in the wood itself. These pipes represent a step forward in quality and price level for Kaywoodie, a throw-back to old times in the 1930's or 40's when Kaywoodie pipes could cost more than a Dunhill, as I understand. They may not have their briar sourcing quite up to a new quality level yet, though I would expect most of these pipes to be durable and reliable. 'Hope that's right. Good for them (!) to replace the damaged goods.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
I have never heard that about H&H pipes are made by Kaywoodie. I am interested now! About the X-Raying of pipes of the old past, I don't think that they do it now considering the cost of a dam X-Ray these days.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1935-Ad-Kaywoodie-pipes-x-ray-bowl-Kaufmann-bros-Bondy-Co-Print-Ad-10x13-/161658185344?nma=true&si=jdrAR7x5tfJYUxYo%252FvzrOUWinP0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Who knew?
Well, some knew, but I didn't. Now I'm wondering now if anyone currently uses x-ray or other methods for quality control.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I always have a habit of running my finger around the inside of the chamber after the first few initial smokes to notice any pitting. Had a new Savinelli burn through years ago, and am just paranoid now.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thank you for all your responses; I am relieved this was a freak occurrence and am quite happy with the exchanged pipe. I'll have to look into Kaywoodie pipes in the future. Here's a photo of the Signature pipe: I think you'll agree this is truly a huge billiard.

img_0833-600x359.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great looking pipe and I hope it performs better than the first one. I have never had a burnout even in my early days of puffing like a madman. It was probably just a flaw in the briar as burnouts are not very common.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's a great looking pipe. Hopefully and most likely that burn through was a rare occurrence. Enjoy your new replacement pipe. :puffy:

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Definitely a nice looking pipe.

I've never burned through a pipe, but a friend of mine has. However, he almost torture's his pipes by how much he smokes them. Some days he'll smoke up to 10 bowls out of the same pipe. Which explains the burn through.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Like cigrmaster alluded to, even when I puffed like a locomotive.

But my B&M has one setting on the shelf. The hole is about 1/4" x 3/8" and I don't know the story behind it. I'll have to ask someone.

I did buy a new pipe recently that had a channel about 3/8" down from the rim. It was a good sized groove. About 1/8 " wide fingernail depth deep and 1/2" long running around the pipe bowl parallel to the rim . It was not as symmetrical as my estimated measurements would indicate. I think it had been covered up with the bowl coating. It wasn't there when I got the pipe from e-bay. Following smoking the pipe, the first time, while cleaning it I noticed the void. It was not charred. I coated it with cigar mud and it has been doing fine. I really liked the pipe and although the seller offered another one of the same make but a different shape, I opted to attempt to repair it. I felt for the price It was an opportunity to see if it could be repaired.

I believe a burn out is from a fault in the briar, compounded by poor smoking habits or maintenance. This was a gouge, I would bet, which occurred during the construction of the pipe. Another reason not to buy pre-coated bowl pipes.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I actually like the replacement pipe more: the red in the stain is more pronounced, as is the sandblasted grain. When I can afford it, and if they are still in stock (this is a limited edition) I plan to get another. I often get duplicates of pipes I really like, like Peterson's Irish Harp 107 billiards.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm happy to report that the replacement Signature pipe smokes wonderfully and there is no sign of burn-through. (Knock on briar.) I think this is a great pipe because it is so characteristically so large. I've never seen a billiard of this size. Great for a really long smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.