PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lessechler

Lurker
Jul 10, 2009
It occurred to me that each of us may want to post the types and brands of pipes we collect. This is for the purpose of trading, should such a thing appeal to you.
For myself, I collect dunhill ODA pipes pre 1970. Barling YeOldeWood pipes from pre 1962 and Charatan Lane era briars.
Feel free to contact me for info on any of the above or to offer a trade. - L

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I too am more of a smoker than a collector at this point. My collection is very eclectic. If a pipe appeals to me, and if I have the money, I will buy it.
Savinelli pipes do make up a large part of my collection though. I tend to look at the shapes of pipes more than the manufacturer.
I do really want a Dunhill pipe, but have not been able to afford one so far. One of these days though, I might be able to get one.

midniteryder

Lurker
Aug 3, 2009
I collect whatever pipes appeal to me and the money issues as well. I have been known to get on ebay and bid on a bunch of pipes that catch my eyes. Then again I won't go there for a long while. I might go to a smoke shop and drop way too much money for a pipe that catches my eye as well.

I would like to say I collect a specific brand but I like to just keep searching for that one pipe that carries me away to the ultimate pipe place on earth but you know we just never get there. That is the beauty of this hobby. We can keep smoking pipes and different tobaccos looking for euphoria.

I had alot of pipes at one time then sold off alot of them. Now I am getting back up there to close to where I was.I wish there were more pipe shows around this area because that seems to be the place where the most memoriable pipe accusitions occure.

runewolf

Lurker
Jun 19, 2009
About a year ago, I bought a really nice Briar pipe and thought it was a good good pipe to smoke out of, I used it quite a lot. Then just about a month ago I ordered my first clay tavern pipe, the kind commonly smoked as early as the 16th century all the way through to the colonial period. At first I thought I'd never get used to smoking this odd little clay pipe that if you held in your teeth it felt like you were going to chip a tooth. Then after a few times smoking it, I figured out the correct way to hold it in the hands and also realized that I did not really need to hold a pipe in my mouth anyways. I have been smoking that clay pipe for a while now already and found that I just absolutely love smoking with it. It has a much smaller bowl than my Briar pipe, but it actually holds more tobacco, and the stem is long and slender with a gentle curve to it. I find that I actually feel more comfortable and not so out-of-place smoking the clay pipe in a public place than I did when I used the Briar pipe, maybe because of it's less obvious size and shape I guess. It just looks different. I highly recommend anyone to try one of these type pipes out. I don't think I will ever go back to smoking a Briar pipe...actually tried using my Briar pipe just this night, but I just found it to feel awkward and clumsy. I just ordered 4 new clay pipes from a place called Black Bear Haversack Trading Post (Google it), can't wait till they get here. So I guess that is what I am collecting now seeing as how I already bought 6 clay pipes in just the last month. They are great, it is no wonder as to why they were so popular and famous for so many centuries. Oh yeah, and another good thing about collecting clay pipes is that they are very affordable, you can get them for under $10 each. Check out some of the antique ones on Ebay as well, some dated from the 1700's.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I have a couple of clay pipes, but I just couldn't get used to the feel of them.

I will try them again soon though because a lot of people say, as you did Rune, that they smoke really well.

runewolf

Lurker
Jun 19, 2009
Clay pipes are also really easy to clean I found out. Just get one of those propane plumbers torches and evenly heat the pipe till all the tar burns out. It turns nice and perfectly white again. I think the history of clays is what really draws me to them. They do have a sort of acquired feel to them though, kinda like drinking Guinness I suppose. You either love it or you don't.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I'll have to get a clay pipe to try out then.
Another interesting thing about clay pipes that I read is that they do not hold on to the tobacco taste like a briar pipe. This makes them ideal for tasting and reviewing pipe tobacco as you get the pure taste of just the tobacco you are smoking at the time.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
The main focus of my collection is older Pre-Republic Peterson's, both regular and System pipes. I also have Celius, Willmer's and one Randy Wiley. My most unusual pipe is a faceted briar Peterson's vulcanite Army mount:

PetersBlackthornpipe.jpg

My newest is this 1898/1910 Peterson System Patent pipe that I aquired at the CORPS show last weekend:

Patent.jpg

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Kevin, my photo doesn't do that pipe justice. It is a very special pipe to me. I obtained it from Peter Webster-Dowsing's estate. He was a true friend and mentor during a rough time in my life.

oldpipeguy

Lurker
Oct 24, 2009
The main focus of my collecting is Boswell's,tim west,and Peterson's although I think of myself as more of a pipe smoker than collector

seilerjp

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I collect hawkbills:

Various carvers, Castello, Ser Jacopo, Radice, etc. The classic is the Castello 84 shape. I now have 41 in my collection.

seilerjp

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
hawkbill display link
I guess the best picture would be a link to the Pittsburgh Pipe Club website:
http://pittsburghpipeclub.wordpress.com/2009/10/24/my-hawkbill-display/
Col 1: 3 mickles, ascorti, gilbert, bonaquisti, weiner, M. Parks, Thomas James

Col 2: 2 Ruthenberg, 10 Castello

Col 3: 3 Bob Kiess, 2 Rinaldo (poker hawks), 5 Ser Jacopo

Col 4: 2 Sam Learned, 8 Radice (notice the 'baby' and GGG)
I hope the link works for you.

seilerjp

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
here is a link to the photo of my hawkbills:
http://pittsburghpipeclub.wordpress.com/2009/10/24/my-hawkbill-display/
Column 1: Carvers - 3 Clarence Mickles, Ascorti, Gilbert, Bonacquisti, Weiner, Parks, Thomas James

Column 2: - 2 Ruthenberg, 10 Castello

Column 3: - 3 Bob Kiess, 2 Rinaldo, 5 Ser Jacopo

Column 4: - 2 Sam Learned, 8 Radice (notice the 'baby' and the GGG)
I hope the link works for you.

jcmac

Lurker
Oct 21, 2009
I have recently begun pipe smoking and thus, know very little at this stage. However, I have purchased several pipes which I think, are very nice. One in particular has brought me to post this question: Can anyone enlighten me on a pipe manufacturer named Botz-Choquin? I have found their website and submitted an inquiry as to the approximate date manufactured and value. I have had no response thus far. The pipe is stamped "Virginia". The unique thing about this pipe is the stem, it is made from the tip of a bull horn. It is very beautiful and it smokes really well. My favorite pipe at this point. Any information would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.