PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
I'm looking to pick one out of the following, and would like some opinions on the brand, they are all approximately the same size and shape:

Savoy gold, Britannia, Bjarne, Duca Carlo, and the most expensive but probably the nicest is a Savinelli Tevere at $80. I'm fairly certain that I would like the Savinelli but would also like to save a few bucks. Also I do realize most of this will be opinions, but I'd like to hear you're thoughts on my dilemma.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
theboz, of the brands you list, I own Savinelli and Britannia. I have several Savinelli's and they are all perfect smokers. They

run the range from two pipes I bought unfinished (bare briar) that mellow into beautiful golden brown. You can buy these

for a song at Cup O Joes under Saveneilli Economy pipes, or paylesspipes.com, or outwesttobacco.com, among others. I think

you'll find prices on these from about $45 to $58. They do not have balsa filters, and they do have putty fills on the bowls, but

these fills don't show much when the pipe is mellowed into a brown tone a bit like a Meerschaum. My Brittannia is a lovely,

lightweight bent Dublin (does that make it a zulu too???), a very nice looking pipe. It has a double-barreled stem, but it accepts

a pipecleaner with no problem. It always smokes great. As I recall, it was about $65 at my local Tinder Box. Of course, the

fully finished Savinelli Tevere will be a fine pipe as well. I wouldn't flinch from spending the $80. Pipes often last a lifetime, and

why not have something a little dressed up. But all of these options are great. You'll soon join the rest of us with too many pipes.

Let me recommend Lanes 1-Q, Lanes LL-7, and Stokkebye Nougat as some pleasant mild tobaccos. I have a Sav churchwarden

that is an elegant smoke -- it was a gift or I never would have tried a churchwarden. Plan on one of those some time.

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
Yeah I own a Savinelli as well... I'm just curious about the others, and being able to save a little cash while picking up a good smoker would be nice.

stanwellman

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2011
From the brads you listed I would recommed a Stanwell. Beats the competition any day of the week and twice on Sunday.... . :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Tevere's a nice pipe, if that's the one you chose. You may catch up with the rest of these eventually. I've

been considering a Stanwell for quite a while, but something else always catches my attention first. I'll look for

the photo of the Sav.

Status
Not open for further replies.