PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
Hi Guys,
I have a Karl Erik freehand that is just gorgeous. My wife purchased it for me on our first wedding anniversary. It's a terrific smoker with a nice open draft. I'm worried however that it might be burning out. There is a particular spot on the bowl wall which is always hot to the touch. This has been my consistent finding over perhaps 30 or so smokes in this pipe.
Has anyone else had a pipe behave like this? Is it a sign that burnout is imminent? Is it even something I should worry about? Smoking this pipe holds significant emotional value for me, I hope it lasts my lifetime.
I appreciate your opinions and experience on this one. Thanks.

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
Thanks mlyvers.
I had been smoking it as slow as I could trying to build up the cake. Perhaps your right though, I won't ever stop worrying until I just get in there with a pick and see what's going on.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Pipe cement for sure can help prevent the burn out. I had an issue with a pipe the same way. Noticed a crack after doing a salt soaking slapped a little pipe cement around the inside of the bowl and let I cure for about a week. No more hot spot.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Howdy mate. Sometimes, even from new, but not very often, a pipe will develope a "hot spot". This will almost always lead to a burnout in that particular area. It may not even be anything you done to encourage it so don't feel that you have done anything wrong. I have one here with a hot spot in it that I have been smoking for years and it still hasn't burnt through. I have a Loewe's here with a black or hot spot on the bowl but there is no charring yet. I suggest you keep an eye on it so it doesn't develope a char, but if it is of sentimental value, then I would consider having it looked at and then take appropriate measures.

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
Any other's have some experience with pipe cement as a precautionary measure?
Yay, my 100th Post. It only took me 1 year and 8 months. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.