PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

klyph76

Lurker
Dec 10, 2016
Louisville, KY
Hello all!
Just bought my first pipe last week, a Peterson Fermoy 999. Unfortunately, after about half a dozen uses small blisters started to appear on the bowl. They've multiplied since. I realize that I'm new at this and that I may have overheated the bowl a bit, but for $130 I feel like there shouldn't be any blistering! Has anyone else had any experience with this? Any recommendations on what I should do? Can I expect a refund or exchange?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I would certainly think you should be able to get refund or exchange. Bubbling is from a crappy finish job, whether it is a $30 Grabow or a $300 artisan pipe.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I've got a Fermoy that developed a blister when new, a year later it hasn't developed any more. Contact the seller and provide pictures.
Almost forgot, be prepared for the usual Peterson bashers :roll:

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Bubbling isn't super common, but it happens.
So long as you got it from a reputable seller you should have no problems getting it replaced. Peterson is pretty good about replacements.
Best of luck!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I did the same thing lighting one of my Stanwells in too much of a breeze. It was totally my fault, and I was pissed at myself for quite a while!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If you can't get an exchange, next time you smoke it, and it gets warm, buff the bubbled area with a T-shirt to flatten it out.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Pete's and many others have a heavy finish- if you smoke them hot, some will have bubbles,...smoke it slowly...and cool-problem solved!!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have a new Butz Chochin that has some odd looking black finish to it. This too bubbles when smoked and one can actually move those bubbles about by pressing on them!
This suggests to me poor workmanship at the factory and the only solution I can think of is to prick the bubbles with a very fine pin once they form...though I have yet to try this myself.
Regards,
Jay.

stranger

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2016
My Brigham bubbled near the rim. I was pretty disappointed as it was my first nice pipe, but the thought never occurred to me to try to return it. I figured that once it was in my mouth, it became my problem. As much as I don't like seeing it, it doesn't affect the function at all.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Should have gotten a Savinelli. Just Kidding
Sorry to hear about your pipe. Let us know the outcome with the seller.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I love Peterson's pipes, the look and weight of them, the way they feel in the hand and they usually smoke fantastic, but I usually never buy glossy finished pipes regardless of maker.

I always buy the rusications or sandblasts they seem to handle the heat a little better and I just prefer the looks and feel of them over glossy finished pipes. Pete's are not always perfect pipes, you have to be careful when buying them, but then again, you should do that when buying any pipe.

When Pete's are good, they are usually very good!

As stated above, the manufacturer is usually pretty good about exchanging the pipe, good luck with it!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not had a bubble since I re-started smoking a few years ago. I have 6-8 Petes and a bunch of others. In the wind, I cover the rim.

Status
Not open for further replies.