PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I am thinking about picking up a couple to protect my pipe stems. Does anyone know if they work good or can suggest a place to pick them up?

russ

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2012
I just order a bunch when ever I place my TAD order

steyrshrek

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I use them on all the pipes that I can, saves the stem and it's much more comfortable on the teeth if you need both hands. They do stretch and I find it easier if I wet it firts to put it on.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I just recently started using them on my vulcanite stems. It took some getting used to, but knowing my stems will stay in good shape was worth the adaptation.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I get my BJ Longs locally. But then again, they make them right here in town anyway, so... I got them when I first started out as it made clenching easier. Now I use them for stem protection as well. You do have to take them off occasionally to clean the stem underneath and wash them off.
-Jason

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I personally don't care for them.

One other option some use (I think Baronsamedi for one) uses heat shrink.

They are thinner and don't remind one of chewing rubber bands.
:puffy:

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Yes! They work. I have sharp teeth and have ruined many a stem. They can be replaced but some craftsmen remove wood on the shank to match the stem and I have a Stanwell extra large Canadian the the replacement stem is a different shape then the original and it bugs me. I do not taste anything and they do not bother me.

go for it and see for your self. YMMV.

kyletheaviator

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2012
I just recently tried them and I really like them. But you do have to take them off occasionally and clean underneath otherwise they can acquire a rather unpleasant taste

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
Teeth marks add character, but that's just me. Perhaps I'll change my opinion on that when (IF) I ruin a stem (knock on wood).
-Swilly

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
I do not use them as I prefer to hold my pipe, rather than clench.
My concern would be bacteria growth in such a warm, wet environment. I would recommend drying it after each use, and would clean it whenever I cleaned my pipe.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have a couple I got when I decided to try learning to clench. I really hate them - whenever I use one it makes me gag and almost throw up.

Status
Not open for further replies.