PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
I don't have an ashtray in the house and have been using a washed out cat food tin.
Looking for good suggestion for a pipe ashtray with built-in pipe rest. Have looked at offerings on SP while putting together a blend order for ones that I have yet to try, but not sure if any of the offerings are suitable.
Ideas? Thanks.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
They had a really good deal on one at CI with some pipe cleaners in a special. Two spots for pipes and a cork knocker, although I'm not sure if they are still available.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Bought this one for 20$ at a pipe and cigar shop in Florida its pretty great.
581951_10151674303957889_449926643_n.jpg

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
4noggins has several choices available, at http://www.4noggins.com/assorted-necessary-pipe-stuff.aspx.
I keep the big Peterson's ashtray on my desk; use it for pipes in current rotation, either about to be or just smoked; currently it's holding five pipes, a bunch of Brigham filters, and some cleaners.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Last week my wife saw a combination lamp, pipe rest and ashtray at a local antique store. She didn't buy it and when she went back it was long gone. It would have looked great on my pipe cabinet that I don't have.

dennisfbird

Lurker
Aug 25, 2013
Gosh, I thought I was the only one using a tincan....... thank you for making me feel not so lonely.

My wife and I spent several afternoons looking in thrift shops for ashtrays with no luck....I'm still looking too. I had thought with so many people quitting smoking or going electronic that ashtrays would be plentiful... no such luck..... the closest we came was an old glass orange juicer my wife pointed out. Well it looks like a acork tapper.

Anyhow still looking......... Ebays too expensive..

pchitti

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2013
Central Texas
Grab one of the old glass ash trays from a second hand store, buy a bottle of wine. Remove cork and let dry while drinking the bottle and enjoying a bowl of your choice. Decide where you want the cork and then glue, epoxy, jb weld or what ever you feel is right. You dont get the built in rest, but with a decent size ash tray you should have no problem finding a place.
I had the best ashtray, had a 10" diameter 3 corks spaced out for multiple people to be able to use. Was in the smoking room of the house. 2 roommates and we all waited tables, was a party most nights.
Im headed to some second hand stores tomorrow to see if I cant replace it.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I have one of the 2-pipe ceramic ashtrays from SP, and I'm liking it. I usually stash my Zippo and a tamper in the other pipe rest. My wife enjoys the fact that my ashes are now contained, rather than blowing all over the back patio... :D

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I picked up the McBaren Ashtrash with knocker from 4noggins, very pleased with it - but it looks like he's out of stock. I used it as an excuse to order some trout stream and give that a shot as well.

http://www.4noggins.com/MacBaren3PIPEASHTRAYW/KNOCKER.aspx

macbarenashtray.1.jpg

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Try etsy.com - they have a wide variety, and the prices are set. I alway look under Vintage to weed out the chinese stuff.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Smokeybear and pylorns: Thanks for the pics--some nice looking ashtrays! I'm overseas and have yet to find any pipe ashtrays, however I like the idea of gluing a cork to a big ashtray (which I do have). Will definitely either pick up one from 4noggins when I'm back in the States or see if how much it would cost to ship!

jfox520

May 24, 2013
My daughter got me the McBaren ashtray for a birthday gift and I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.