PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Received my tins and bags of assorted aros to sample from SP today. Pipe rest feature of ashtray is a disappointment, because no pipe, including a straight billiard will stay upright in it - tilts to side.
Suggestions for home remedies to fix this?
The one I used to have 35-40 years ago looked like this:
mk6eMf8RlQEzLLrvDqRSmtw.jpg

It cradled the pipe much better, so that it didn't roll to the side like this glass molded thing does.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
:( No replies, so I will apply a Rube Goldberg fix, or just junk this one and buy something else that I saw on eBay and hope it arrives intact.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
It's one of those glass molded types offered by most of the PM vendors. Black glass - sells for $12.80 on SP.
001-069-0103.jpg

Just bought one almost identical to my original one shown above from a seller on eBay for $14.95 + shipping.
Will use the black one when smoking in the car. Going to add some glued strips of thin rubber to "steady" a pipe when it's in the rest.
Could have made this and a nice pipe rack with tools I have, but my woodworking stuff has been in storage for 12 years now and I have no place to set it up (until I move) - or I'll sell it all and have to give up that hobby (which I liked a lot).

Jan 8, 2013
The pipe rest being a bit wide and shallow, and smooth glass at that, I can see why getting a pipe to rest well could be difficult at best. Cool concept, I suppose, but not very functional I take it. I think you have a good idea, gluing some rubber strips in there. Perhaps some leather might work well, also.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
:rofl: Just looked at the title of this OP and that second part could be taken in two ways...

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1X-Clear-Plastic-Pipe-Stand-Display-Stand-Pipe-Holder-for-Tobacco-Pipe-PCS-/251255634419?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8000b9f3
I bought about 20 of these to make my own pipe rack and got one for a steal after that so I have them sitting around. They hold the pipes upright and quite well if you want to try to rig it into your ashtray. Just drop me a pm and I can send you one I have laying around.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
find something like this at your local Dollar Tree, Hooby Lobby, etc.. and cut a small circle for the bottom of the pipe rest.
this

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
As a white water kayaker and mountain biker, you have been overlooking a very simple solution that is very easy for me to spot, just buy some thin foam padding with adhesive on one side and stick it on the sides, it'll kill the movement entirely, just don't get too many embers on it, it won't like that very much. You can buy them in art supply stores and perhaps do it yourself stores, like Home Depot. The best part is, you can always remove and re-position at your leisure, it's not a permanent fix, which is something I like for things like adhering foam in helmets or thigh braces.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
After three years, this is my best solution. Those little leather strap stands work like a charm. They hold any pipe firmly, without damaging the finish. I keep one tucked into all of my carry pipe bags. I've even seen them made into key-fob hangars. Someone was selling them on BrirBid (member hobojoe)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have this "syrocco" ashtray and rest, but you are right, it doesn't always work. I also learned leaving this on the patio is not good for the finish.

Here's a better shot of those leather rests. I made these two out of an old piece of belt and a fastener from Lowes.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
as far as home-made.. the wife made some round bean-bag type things out of lightweight fake suede and used whole bean coffee as filler. they work good and smell good.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Greg (gmwolford) is the guy who sold the leather straps, they had nifty designs and everything in them. I have one and can honestly say I couldn't think of a better solution to a pipe stand than that, it fits easily in a pipe pouch with the pipes, can't possibly harm the finish of a pipe, lasts forever (if you use leather conditioner on it), and keeps the pips completely utterly secured. If you give him a pm, he might be willing to make one on a commission, wouldn't hurt to ask, they were $10 each if I remember.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I bought this ashtray from SP back around 2000 and it is the only one I use. The pipes do stand nice and straight in it. Don't know if anyone sells these anymore but it has been a great ashtray for me all these years.

effektor

Might Stick Around
Aug 4, 2013
You could try Sugru, a hand moldable silicon putty. There is even a home made version made from corn starch and silicon sealant. Those leather rests are neat, I might make a few for around the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.