Tags:   

Pipe App

(20 posts)
  • Started 9 months ago by texasfiremedic
  • Latest reply from sparrowhawk
  1. texasfiremedic

texasfiremedic

Login to Send PM

Hey fellow pipe aficionados! I have been mulling something over in my head for a while and thought I'd share the idea. I have been keeping a pipe tobacco journal with me and while I do enjoy the physical aspect of putting pen on paper sometimes it can be difficult when out and about. The idea of an app on a smart phone I believe could substitute this hassle. I'm unsure if I can create a poll on this forum but would you download an app about pipe tobacco?

I am thinking the app could include the following:
    A database of reviews from fellow pipe smokers for every blend
    A personal tasting journal for each tobacco you have tried. Could be made public
    A wish list of to try tobaccos
    A guide to pipe smoking for beginners
    A history or pipe smoking
    History or characteristics of individual types of tobacco leaf
    Links to websites that sell tobacco
    Possibly a map of brick and mortar shops near you

Let me know what you think!

The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G. K. Chesterton
    Posted 9 months ago #
  2. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Sounds interesting but not for me. The only thing my phone gets used for is pipe forum chat and ordering things online.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 9 months ago #
  3. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great idea. I use one now code pioe notebook. It only records what I have in the cellar. No amounts or notes. I'd enjoy a better app

Posted 9 months ago #
  4. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had a really good APP that I used to keep records of what was in my cellar called Pipe Tool. But, then the developers just stopped updating it a few years ago. I think that having too many options to review or share stuff publicly is a turn off for a lot of us. The current web-based site that a lot of guys are using isn't for me either. I really don't want people to know exactly what I have. Nor, do I give a flip about making reviews. I barely ever even look at reviews.

What I did like about the Pipe Tool was that it was simple, easy to use. And, it let me keep up with what was in the cellar, what was in current rotation, and how long my stash would last. Getting too fancy with lots of options is a turn off for a lot of the older users. My suggestion is to keep it simple. We already have tobaccoreviews.com for those who like those things. I imagine it would be hard top compete with them.

Michael
    Posted 9 months ago #
  5. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would use an app if it's simple. Something where I could scan the barcode on a tin (not all tins have barcodes)
    or type in the blend. I could then put that tin in my cellar/inventory and I could rate it 1-5 stars for my own personal reference. Then I could click on "my cellar" and it would provide me with my list of blends with my ratings. I like the wishlist/want to try idea also. I use an app now, MyFitnessPal, that I can scan the barcode and it gives all the nutritional values of the food product.

I would not be interested in the history of pipe smoking or other smokers reviews on the app.

The features I would want: Barcode, Cellar/Inventory, My personal Ratings, Wish list...simple.

Posted 9 months ago #
  6. texasfiremedic

texasfiremedic

Login to Send PM

Ah yes I did forget about the cellar option! I think that is a great addition along with the barcode I love that idea.

Posted 9 months ago #
  7. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

Yeah, it would need to be simple to use, but able to be customized through hidden menus so that you could really be detailed if you wanted to.

I use Evernote for all my pipe journal needs. I created custom spreadsheets with the info that I wanted to keep track of and it syncs across my home computer and my phone when I'm on the go. It's not without its limitations, but I find its the best method for keeping a tidy account of my hobby/obsession.

Posted 9 months ago #
  8. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

Good gravy, no. I smoke to relax.

Posted 9 months ago #
  9. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Personally, I have no use for it, but others might. We had a member here who launched a similar app a couple of years ago. It created a bit of a stink because he used reviews from tobaccoreviews.com, which is copyrighted material, without permission, and was faced with a lawsuit. There was some other unpleasantness that developed as well. He's long gone from PM.
    Sounds like a great idea of you want to do a pile of work for no financial gain. Me? I like the mystery of it all.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 9 months ago #
  10. eggrollpiper

eggrollpiper

Login to Send PM

Well, I really don't like apps to begin with. I don't understand why if there's a website and a mobile website why I need the app for said websites in order to get the best experience. And there was a time, in the late 90s and early 2000s, that i fealt if something could be done on on a computer, this was before smart phones, it should be done that way. Why waste paper and ink when I can do it electronically and have it forever more or less. However now I've done a 180 and feel if it can be done without a computer or smart phone then why not go old school. And I realise that this is somewhat of a trend but I'm not trying to fit a description, just doing what feels right.
    Also pipe smoking goes very well I think with nice paper and fountain pens. Pens and pipes make a nice duo.
    Now if I had to use a smart phone for my notes I would just use a note pad app. And as was said there's established review sites that meet most smokers needs.
    I suggest that if you want to make a successful app do the same thing but for cigars. You'd have a bigger pool of people that are also more pro tech.

POSTED 1 MINUTE AGO # EDIT

Posted 9 months ago #
  11. skaukatt

skaukatt

Login to Send PM

I have used P&T Foundations for years and love it. It does some of those things you list as well as allow you to keep a complete pipe, tobacco, accessory, and other inventory. I was very disappointed when they discontinued support for it. It is still use-able however the web feature is no longer functional.

Posted 9 months ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

orangecelluloid74

Login to Send PM

There are Arborea and Pipe notebook apps that are already available for Android. Have you seen'em? Arborea seems quite interesting.

Posted 9 months ago #
  13. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it doesn't load my pipe and shut the world out for me while I smoke, it is probably not for me. I am sure many would love it though.

Posted 9 months ago #
  14. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I simply have a written (pen and notebook) record of all tobacco purchased and cellared and that's all I need.

Tasting notes? Surely that's what your memory is for. Other folk's tobacco reviews? I can read those online anytime. Map of nearest B&M outlets? Again, stored in memory.

It seems these days everyone seeks out an 'app' for every aspect of their lives which I personally find a little sad.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 9 months ago #
  15. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I really don't like apps to begin with. I don't understand why if there's a website and a mobile website why I need the app for said websites in order to get the best experience

You don't need any of the above, but an app allows for offline use. (not all of them, of course, but it can be build to store info locally) I don't need no stinkin' apps! Though kudos to those who are into them and maintain them.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 9 months ago #
  16. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the app idea for keeping track of my cellar easier and I having my own reviews ready and available on the fly

Posted 9 months ago #
  17. texasfiremedic

texasfiremedic

Login to Send PM

mawnansmiff while 'apps' are not for everyone for a lot of people especially this newer generation it is a staple. Obviously you are aware of brick and mortar shops near you but when you travel are you? I travel frequently and was unaware of a tobacco shop in Missouri that has a good selection; this app could alleviate this issue. In regards to the tasting notes you must have a far better memory than I. In many aspects of my life I have found that my tastes develop and change over time. Take scotch for example I started a journal and looked back when I first started and what I wrote down when I first started was far different than I experience today. This progression I find very amusing and love this aspect of my hobbies.

Posted 9 months ago #
  18. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

It seems these days everyone seeks out an 'app' for every aspect of their lives which I personally find a little sad.

Same here Jay.

Posted 9 months ago #
  19. dethmutt

dethmutt

Login to Send PM

It could be cool. Go for It!!! don't like it? don't use it!

Posted 9 months ago #
  20. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I could use an app for my Kindle Fire if it had a way of storing all my pipe photos.

There is no beauty without some strangeness in proportion.
    Posted 9 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   gandalfspipe