Tags:  No tags yet. 

Pipe and Tobacco Survey

(89 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by docgarr
  • Latest reply from odobenus
  1. docgarr

docgarr

Login to Send PM

Please consider completing the pipe and tobacco survey that I have online. It will take less than 5 minutes to complete. The results will be posted on the United Pipe Clubs of America webpage at unitedpipeclubs.org. Thanks in advance.

Pipe and Tobacco Survey

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

Just completed. Results are interesting!

Posted 4 months ago #
  3. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Completed as well.
    Agree, interesting initial results.
    Please provide link to full results once the survey ends.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 4 months ago #
  4. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Let’s keep this thread bumped.

Thank you for the opportunity to participate, OP.

“Well, I can’t cure death. This is bad, Morty. You’re trapped in a dead man. Listen, if the situation keeps darkening, do yourself a favor and pop by Pirates of the Pancreas. Obviously I’m biased, but I think it’s great, Morty. It’s a bunch of *belches* pirates running around a *belches* pancreas. We don’t whitewash it, either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey.” - Rick & Morty
    Posted 4 months ago #
  5. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just completed. Results are interesting!

Same here.

Was interesting to see I was in the majority in most areas, especially since I'm currently a lone smoker. No pipe smoking friends or access to clubs and no B&M's nearby.

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 4 months ago #
  6. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Done.

Interesting that so far NOBODY has been influenced by advertisements to smoke a pipe. Legislators trying to ram plain packaging through should take notice... but, that would only happen beyond the fields we know.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  7. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How are you guys seeing results?

Michael
    Posted 4 months ago #
  8. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Was interesting to see I was in the majority in most areas, especially since I'm currently a lone smoker. No pipe smoking friends or access to clubs and no B&M's nearby.

Too bad we’re not closer. We seem of like mind in many regards. If I travel down Florida way I’ll message ya. Feel free to do the same if you come up to Tennessee.

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When you complete the survey you've given a link to results. I closed the tab and won't do it again, but maybe this link works?

Survey Results

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can relate. No pipe clubs that I know of here, and in Canada it's illegal to smoke in a shop, so no cigar lounges at your local B&M either.

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I completed the survey and it is interesting.

Harris
    Posted 4 months ago #
  12. autumnfog

autumnfog

Login to Send PM

Answered. I actually enjoy filling out surveys.

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. johnbarleycorn

johnbarleycorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Done. Interesting results.

And little Sir John and the nut brown bowl proved the strongest man at last
    Posted 4 months ago #
  14. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Done.

Posted 4 months ago #
  15. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I completed the survey. The results? Pretty much useless unless/until they are broken out into age, length of time smoking, etc. A bit of correlation would be most helpful. My guess is; older, long time smokers are more directed in their smoking. With the youngsters being all over the map as it were.I write this with regard to types of tobacco smoked, number of pipes, amount consumed daily, etc. But, that's only based on anecdotal information.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  16. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

I’m hoping this survey may be used to demonstrate that there’s a vibrant and thriving pipe tobacco community which consists of adults, and is of little-to-no interest to youngsters. I believe this to be the actual case.

Anyway, if this is true maybe it’s an indicator that we need very little FDA oversight of our beloved hobby.

Hey, a guy can hope.

Posted 4 months ago #
  17. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That was interesting. I don't often do surveys, but this one was fun and interesting.... of course, because it was for pipe smoking.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 4 months ago #
  18. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Being the Typhoid Mary of all devices digital, I am sorry to inform you that the survey stalled after the first page, which I completed. I clicked on "Next" once, then double-click, the adjusted the scrolling and did so again, and several more times. Nothing. But that's just me. I'm sure it will work fine for everyone and anyone else. That is why I don't bother with a smart phone, iPad, or any other devices. They don't want me, and I don't want them, as a friend of mine said of Selective Service.

Posted 4 months ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I completed the survey. I'd like to eventually know the end purpose of the survey. It may seem self-evident, but I've found it's always good to question things.

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 4 months ago #
  20. timelord

timelord

Login to Send PM

Completed. One observation; Peterson appears to be the most popular brand of pipes (assuming read the chart correctly) but Ireland is not an option for country of manufacture; this might skew the 'no preference' figures.

Posted 4 months ago #
  21. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oohh, I love graphs and statistics. This was intriguing. Thanks for putting this together.

Neal
    Posted 4 months ago #
  22. donjgiles

donjgiles

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

added my 2 cents

Posted 4 months ago #
  23. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just completed the survey. Most of the results I could've predicted, but there were some surprises.

Posted 4 months ago #
  24. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

I found the cumulative results (so far) about pipe clubs and pipe shows to be particularly interesting. I am in two different pipe clubs that are both basically comprised of the same small group of pipe smokers and I am sometimes discouraged that our numbers never grow. This survey shows me that there are a lot of smokers out there that haven't joined clubs which is a bummer. But the silver lining is that with better outreach, there is a community out there that might still join a pipe club if there was one near them.

Posted 4 months ago #
  25. cranseiron

Cranse Iron

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Submitted.

Posted 4 months ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I find it interesting that at least a quarter of the participants have graduate degrees.

Posted 4 months ago #
  27. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I find it interesting that at least a quarter of the participants have graduate degrees.

I wonder if those 'thinking men' smoke Petersons?

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 4 months ago #
  28. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Done.

Hey, that was fun!

Posted 4 months ago #
  29. mikefu

mikefu

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I completed it. How long is the survey period? aka "when's it done" so we can see the completed results?

Posted 4 months ago #
  30. pandapiper

pandapiper

Login to Send PM

Interesting survey, on a couple of questions it wouldn't let me select the response I wanted, namely burley blends - occasionally, and rope tobacco - never. I wish the questions on other forms of smoking were worded differently with more options. E.g. how often do you smoke cigarettes? Frequently, occasionally, never.

Posted 4 months ago #
  31. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

I didn't expect the (current) majority of participants to have >20 lbs. of tobacco stored for some reason.

Thought it makes complete sense given the current nanny state climate.

Posted 4 months ago #
  32. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

Done

Posted 4 months ago #
  33. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In for later. I am looking forward to seeing the results as well.

Posted 4 months ago #
  34. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Only 97.3% male...imagine that.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 4 months ago #
  35. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Very interesting results. Not many surprises. For me it brings up more questions such as...are there pipe clubs in your area but you chose not to join?

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 4 months ago #
  36. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Gladly finished survey
    Interesting results
    Keep it going

Keep calm...smoke a pipe.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

redone

Login to Send PM

Done. Interesting results!

Posted 4 months ago #
  38. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike, thank you for taking the time to think this out and to set it up.

While surveys can be entertaining, the results are only as good as the sample set. This survey will not reach most pipe smokers. At best, it is a survey of people who take part in online pipe groups that chose to respond to an online survey.

That said, it will be interesting to see more expansive interpretations of the data.

Posted 4 months ago #
  39. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are results there now, though the sample size is under 100.

What in fact is the intended - or hoped for- number of participants?

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  40. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

More interestingly, what do you plan to do with the results?

Posted 4 months ago #
  41. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

So far about 347 responses. The only real surprise was the percentage that reported themselves as new smokers. But then again, if this survey is primarily dependent on fora and other social media for respondents, I shouldn't be that surprised. Likewise, the distribution over the size of collections was also interesting. When it gets to a few thousand respondents the results may be significant of something. I just don't know what. Still, it was fun and interesting.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 4 months ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

bullet08

Login to Send PM

done.

Posted 4 months ago #
  43. milehighpiper

milehighpiper

Login to Send PM

Very cool survey. I will pass it on to my friends and check up on it in a few weeks. I hope this gets put to good use!

Posted 4 months ago #
  44. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Looks like we’re fairly evenly divided amongst the political map (or, we were when I saw the results).

Not pulling the conversation there, only to say this is a good thing. Our love of pipe smoking gives us some common ground... which we definitely need these days.

Posted 4 months ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

wulfheard

Login to Send PM

Completed...Some interesting results but overall, for me, I didn't see any real surprises; especially on the demographic side. The one surprise I did see and it's already been mentioned, was the amount of tobacco smokers have stored away. I think a parallel can be drawn between tobacco products, firearms and to some degree alcohol here. It's almost assured that any governmental intrusiveness will almost always cause sales of the target of regulation to increase and cause people to hord said targeted product. Not to derail this thread but what does that say about us as a group or as a society in general and how we view or feel about our government's continual hunger for control and power?

Posted 4 months ago #
  46. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's almost assured that any governmental intrusiveness will almost always cause sales of the target of regulation to increase and cause people to hord said targeted product.

That is a HUGE assumption. Most of us on the forums have been cellaring tobaccos since way before the FDA got involved. It only makes sense, and almost all forms of media involved with pipesmoking have been advocating aged blends since as far back as I can remember. Aging for flavor, setting back blends before they go defunct... there are many other reasons to cellar.

Posted 4 months ago #
  47. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like we’re fairly evenly divided amongst the political map (or, we were when I saw the results).

That was one question I could not answer...because the response choices were strictly two dimensional along the standard left/right axis.

I cannot locate myself on that line...or relate to it or identify with it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

wulfheard

Login to Send PM

"That is a HUGE assumption. Most of us on the forums have been cellaring tobaccos since way before the FDA got involved."

Okay, that may be very true, the cellaring and aging of tobacco is like the aging and storage of fine wine but "panic buying" is a real phenomenon. It crosses all boundaries of consumer goods. You see it historically in markets sales of anything from gasoline to toilet paper. It is almost a natural and predictable human behavior when the availability or security of a product is threatened either by outside forces such as government regulation or market upset. I do not believe that pipe smokers are any different than any other consumer. Human behavior in this respect, is rather typical. Sorry if this sounds cynical or critical of the community no offense was meant, but historically outside threats to market goods have elicited a panic reaction and it stands to reason that some would choose to hoard their favorite pipe tobacco out of fear of either price hikes or lack of availability.

Posted 4 months ago #
  49. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I find anonymous and online far too sketchy especially concerning my tobacco usage in this era. Going to have to pass.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 months ago #
  50. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry, wulf, you are correct, to a degree. I am sure many have started hoarding based on fear. But, the political assumptions that you tie these too...

how we view or feel about our government's continual hunger for control and power?

...is a stretch when most of us that have kept up with all of this keep in mind that this was/is a power play by the corporate cigarette companies. This wasn't all just someone in government setting at a desk wanting more power, as you play it. This was a corporate business decision to monopolize a product. A corporation gaming the system...

Other than that, most of us in the forum had cellars for much different reasons.

Posted 4 months ago #
  51. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

According to the survey, the majority of us are:

Over 60, been smoking a pipe for under 5 years, started out of curiosity, own between 21 and 50 pipes, prefer Savinelli, are both a collector and smoker, and smoke all your pipes.

You spent between $100 and $200 for your most expensive pipe, but spend $51 to $100 on average. You don't care what finish it has, what the stem is, or where it comes from, but it has to be briar. You prefer standard medium size pipes, and don't own a multichambered pipe. You smoke several times a week and have some estates. Your smoke lasts between half and one hour. You dedicate pipes and primarily smoke by yourself at home, and never at work, usually with coffee or tea.

You've also never been to a pipe show.

Sounds like we are a fun bunch!

Posted 4 months ago #
  52. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeh, I was surprised that the multichambered pipe got a whole question unto itself. I don't think this ever even comes up on here, except by the rare newbie post. Makes me wonder what the whole survey was for.

Posted 4 months ago #
  53. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Done.
    You guys spend too much time contemplating your navel.

Posted 4 months ago #
  54. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

KC, I like how you read through this, and then blamed us for navel gazing. Ha ha!!

Posted 4 months ago #
  55. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I find anonymous and online far too sketchy especially concerning my tobacco usage in this era. Going to have to pass.

True...but I don't think stating your tobacco usage on this forum is really any different.

This wasn't all just someone in government setting at a desk wanting more power, as you play it. This was a corporate business decision to monopolize a product. A corporation gaming the system...

Yes, but a corporation cannot "game the system" in this manner without system collaboration.

Taking a position on whether it was a government or corporate thing misses the bigger picture, imo. There has long been a revolving door between the regulatory agencies and the big corporate boardrooms.

Generally speaking, the left supports government regulation and the right supports big business. They are both (for the most part) supporting the same thing, imo.

I would only add that (imo) it is not ultimately about monopolizing the tobacco/vaping market. It may be that in the short term, but in the longer term it's only about control and social engineering...which originates at a level above both the government and corporate sectors.

Posted 4 months ago #
  56. kanaia

kanaia

Login to Send PM

Thank you, that was fun.

Posted 4 months ago #
  57. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

True...but I don't think stating your tobacco usage on this forum is really any different.

The forum doesn't claim anonymity.

Posted 4 months ago #
  58. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

IBTL! Again!

Posted 4 months ago #
  59. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That was fun. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 4 months ago #
  60. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Did it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  61. tnfan

tnfan

Login to Send PM

Completed. Interesting survey.

Posted 4 months ago #
  62. maxsmoke

maxsmoke

Login to Send PM

Just completed .

Posted 4 months ago #
  63. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anyone note how many had completed when you finished?

Posted 4 months ago #
  64. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

504 so far.

Posted 4 months ago #
  65. snoopy311

snoopy311

Login to Send PM

Gave my two cents...

Posted 4 months ago #
  66. tobaccojoe

tobaccojoe

Login to Send PM

506 completed now.

Posted 4 months ago #
  67. sdcowboy

sdcowboy

Login to Send PM

Done.

Posted 4 months ago #
  68. shermnatman

shermnatman

Login to Send PM

Done. - Sherm Natman

Posted 4 months ago #
  69. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There was a link above that shows results. Here it is again:
    Results

Interesting, even if only to spur discussion on the forum.

Things like this are probably harder to put together than it looks. That said I'd note that this would be skewed toward pipe smokers who go online and use forums. I think it is possible that a large part of the pipe smoking population is excluded.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 4 months ago #
  70. cajomu

cajomu

Login to Send PM

When do we get our grades?

OK, on the serious side, I thought some of the questions/answers weren't could have been better. For example, I have a number of preferred pipe brands but was asked only to name one. Similarly, I was only allowed to select one preferred stem shape. The question about preferred blend types forced me to choose between 'occasionally" and "most of the time" which made things difficult given that I smoke English, straight VA and VA-based blends with about equal frequency (meaning I some them something between occasionally and most of the time). Similar comment on the question of preferred tobacco cuts.

One question that wasn't asked that I would like to see the answer to is, "When you smoke a pipe, do you inhale, retrohale and/or puff"? Answer choices: Never / Occasionally / Most of the time / All of the time.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Posted 4 months ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   shayde, mawp, cigrmaster, mikethompson, pappymac, pipingfool, gandalfspipe, gatorlope, jaytex969, husky, cshubhra, gerryp, verporchting