PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
I am heading to Amsterdam for vacation in couple of months and was wondering if anyone could recommend any good shops? Also does anyone know what blends are readily available? I am hoping Germain tins are readily available but have no clue.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
The Amsterdam Pipe Museum, without a doubt. It’s located within walking distance to many of the touristy sights. They have many fine new pipes for sale along with a large selection of estates. Make sure you tour the actual museum while you’re there. They didn’t have a huge selection of tobacco and I don’t remember specifics of their stock, but i doubt you’ll be disappointed.
Amsterdam Pipe Museum

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Also, not sure why the Danish Pipe Shop is suggested as it is located in Denmark, hence Danish.

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
The Danish pipe shop is in Denmark.
Address : Vester Voldgade 92

Postal Code / City : 1552 Copenhagen V

Phone : (+45) 3312 3651

E-mail: info@danishpipeshop.com

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Yes, Denmark, an entirely different country. Amsterdam is in The Netherlands/Holland, where the Dutch live, not Danish.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
P.G.C. Hajenius
5 stars.
Their Scottish and cigar blends are top notch. Enjoy.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
I had planned to visit P.G.C. Hajenius. They are located by my hotel. Would you happen to know if they carry Germain blends? I will definitely check out their house blends.

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
I believe most people go to Amsterdam for a completely different reason..... :mrgreen: But I suggest you might want to explore some of the more typical Dutch tobacco styles like 'Baai' such as Coopvaert, voortrekker, Troost baai ..... , if you also like rolling tobacco for cigarettes then try Javaanse Jongens, Drum and Van Nelle which you might even be able to smoke slowly in a pipe.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
They did not have Germain or Sam Gawith or Strang or any of the rare pipe tobacco that I was hoping for. It is almost exclusively house blends. But they are very good. I bought a few for home. However, their Cuban cigar selection in the large humidor is excellent. And their markup is not unreasonable.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Amsterdam is a fabulous city. The canals, the Indonesian rice table restaurants, the museums, the street performers, the tulips in season, the gin drinks at the American Hotel, the art museums. And yes, the red light district and sex museum. Be attentive learning to walk across the trolley tracks and the bike lanes. Especially the bike riders have right-of-way and speed along, and expect you to stand aside. Dogs everywhere including bars, restaurants, and doctors' offices, and on streetcars, and in bicycle baskets. The cats I found to be large and hauty, from eating all those canal rats I think. Lots of house boats on the canals.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
all imported Pipe Tobaccoes in Holland are pretty expensive, I'd look for the domestically produced brands,the majority of which are shag cut, among others,Oud Baai, Voortrekker,Schippers,Coopvaert and as stated before Holland made Ryo's are world famous,especially those of zwaare shags/Dark fired cigarette blends.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
Hi,

The Pipe Museum or "het pijpenkabinet" (Prinsengracht 488 ,1017 KH Amsterdam, the Netherlands)

Hajenius

and Hartman Cigars & More (Leidsestraat 58, 1017 PC Amsterdam)

are the most relevant pipe shops in Amsterdam. There should also be a davidoff store, but never went as it is a bit further away then i would like to walk.
The Netherlands have SG blends, but the mainstream blends like FVF, Bothly Flake, etc.

Some Erik Stokkebye blends, Stanwell, Mac Baren, Peterson (small selection), Davidoff pouches, etc.
If you want tobacco i would recommend Hajenius (100gr My Own Blend= 25Euro) they also have a good collection of pipes.

Hartman Cigars, is a small shop, with a smaller pipe range (pipes and tobacco) but they do have some interesting pipes.

The pipe museum has the most pipes (also has estates) in the Netherlands in my opinion and they have Capstan tobaccos with 3+years on them (a few other aged blends, but no rare aged blends).
I would not recommend the tour (15 or 25 euro p/p, if not mistaken) at the Museum, in my opinion it's not worth it. Just a tour of old pipes (such as opium, hungarian, clay pipes, etc). I would also say that they have no or limited knowledge of Artisan pipe history.

Keep CASH on you if you want to buy a pipe from there, they only accept cash.
(not relevant to you, but I DISLIKE the guy. Each interaction with him he had a condecending tone and did give didn't give me time to browse the pipes. Asked him "can i look into the pipe drawers?" and he literally told me "only if you are gonna buy a pipe")

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A travel guide might tell you when herring comes into season. They are very strict, and one day it is illegal to sell, and the next it is everywhere. If you like salt-cured fish, it is the best imaginable example, really fine. It is sold on the street and out of shops, and you can easily make a meal of it. Googled it, and it is salted herring, not pickled, and it is available mid-May to mid-July. Google herring in Amsterdam for more. Delicious.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
It's rather difficult to find Germain blends in Amsterdam (I've certainly never seen it, either on physical shops or on Dutch web ones). In general, I find that the tobacco selection in the Netherlands is somewhat limited. Germany and England have more variety available.
If you're particularly keen on Germain's, I recommend buying from a German webshop, and having it delivered to your hotel. It's still relatively hard to find, but it's your best shot. I could only ever find Rich Dark Flake (which I love) in the UK (GQ Tobaccos), and, though they don't ship to Europe, you could try sending them a private message, just in case.
Regardless, it's always a treat to peacefully smoke a pipe by the canals, or in the park :)

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
pfeifendepot.de is the only (i don't know any other who is willing) German website that sends tobacco to the Netherlands.

Great service.

seamusgeorge

Lurker
Apr 12, 2018
I second Brendan18 comments. Did not go Hajenius but I dropped by AMS pipe shop store. I bought some SG blends. (Yup, the chap was a bit angst, just be polite & all should be fine. Don't mention that you smoke filtered pipe if you do!) Didn't see any German blends. The other shop I went was Hartmann at Beethovenstraat 88. I bought the Dutch tobacco, Zephyr which was hard to find elsewhere outside Holland. (Note: you might want to email them and pre-order Zephyr as they usually don't hold a lot. They will keep for you when you order). You might want to try Dutch tobaccoTroost. Hartmann had another bigger shop but no german blends as far as I can tell, mainly Peterson. I guess your best bet is in Germany! Have fun in AMS, great city, pipe friendly and a beautiful city, esp. outside AMS. Happy tobacco hunting!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Take along blends you like, and you won't worry about how you like what you find.

Status
Not open for further replies.