PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
I've never been good at saving money or sticking to a budget. Lately though, I have been thinking about trying to control some of this PAD n TAD madness. Do any of you have set monthly allowances? Do you just buy what you want when you want? Do you just spend what you got when you get it?

I almost feel like looking at the numbers, I can actually afford more than I spend. I'm working on quitting cigarettes which I can easily spend $200 a month. I don't think I spend that in a typical month on pipe stuff, but I could be wrong. Like I said, I don't know how to work with a budget. This could get ugly. Lol

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I find it very difficult to stick to a budget. I limit myself to one estate pipe a week and one $40.00 tobacco order a month. Sometimes I fall off the wagon, but by at least trying maybe I keep from going broke.

Jan 8, 2013
I try to stick to about 50 bucks a month, I am pretty set on pipes for the moment, so that all goes into tobacco. Sometimes I go a bit over, but my wife doesn't really get on to me too much. It's the PAD that bothers her.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I usually wait until the "reserves" are up to a healthy number and then do a large order.
Usually, this ensures free shipping and also means I can jar-up the bulk orders all at once.
If one of the big e-tailers offers a great sale then I will do small orders in between to

take advantage of these ... has to be a good offer though! :)

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I try to limit my monthly allowance to between $100-150 a month. Some months I'm on target, while other months I place multiple orders for that amount. I rarely ever purchase from my local B&M, so my internet purchases are never for under $100 because I don't want to pay for shipping. Additionally, I rarely purchase pipes, so it all goes towards tobacco for the cellar. By year's end I'll have my cellar complete and will probably pick up a few more pipes next year. Once the pipe purchases start I'll probably introduce another four to my rotation and will impose a maximum allowance of $300 for each. This time next year I'll hopefully be done for good and can invest that money elsewhere.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have been trying to curb my TAD and PAD issues but it never fails that just when I say no more I come across something special. This week its an awesome Ben Wade freehand estate at the local B+M.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I cannot discuss this matter publicly as my wife may stumble upon this website.

Dec 24, 2012
rsuniv - I do, but event 104 months at $30 per would only be $3,120 a year. That ain't too bad. The wife could live with that.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Pipes aren't going to be hit with taxes, so I'd concentrate on the TAD. All you american's who laugh off the talk of the coming tax hike will feel like the same folks who were told to invest in gold in the 80's when it was at 400$ an ounce.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The bright spot in taking a month off on buying pipes and tobacco is that it nudges me back to

the pipe rack where I re-discover all these great pipes and blends. I haven't had a bowl of good

old Pegasus in a week! Whoopee. There are some goodies on the rack and in the cellar, if you

take a look.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Since I've started, I've been putting about at least $100 a month from a online retailer, mostly so I can get the shipping paid for. Unless I stumble across a deal, I might pull the trigger on something in between month ends if it's too good to pass up.
I'm trying to pay off a few bills, but at the same time, I'm trying to double my monthly allotment for tobacco for the stockpile. I'm very much at odds with myself. I feel as I really only have about a solid 12 months of reasonably priced tobacco before all the FDA crap hits. Not that it's a hard cut in 12 months, that's just the deadline I myself am anticipating.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
My wife does the books and I get $200 a month for pipes and tobacco. I almost never comply, in part because I don't want to, but mostly because I'm weak.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I usually try to stick to one $100 order per month for the TAD. Unless I find Stonehaven at retail prices somewhere and then I just buy all they'll let me.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Since I quit cig's 4 months ago, I am saving 300 per month, but I have been spending way more than that in Pipes and Tobacco. So idk what to say... I can't budget and I can't stop.

M

mrsal

Generally I do somewhere in the range of $250-350, and thats all on tobacco for the cellar. I buy pipes with whatever money is left over at the end of the month, generally stockpiling for a while to get something nice. Then there's the other small orders I place , probably totaling up to about $15-200 as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.