PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Just wanted to put out there one of the big reasons smoking a pipe has over taken the cigars for me. Cigars are more a social event in my world. My local club is a cigar only with no pipe smoking. The new B&M opening is pipe friendly, but we’ll see what the clientele is like. My arthritis from being crushed in a car in ’79 has been getting worse over the last ten years to the point of being disabled. The worst is my broken back and crushed pelvis, I bring this up because it makes a huge difference. Lighting up a cigar is one thing, but nothing compared to all it takes and surrounds smoking a pipe. The huge difference in selecting a satisfying blend from the rotation, the pipe to be used combined with the preparation, not to mention the attention to getting that perfect bowl. Unlike cigars this takes the mind off the pain and pain killers only go so far.
I bring this up today because sitting here smoking a perfect bowl of properly cured SJF is helping me through my quarterly spinal injection. Now these work great, but for a couple days it sucks. I hope others who are in pain have found this to be yet another of the great things smoking a pipe brings.
Craig

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
This is one of the main reasons I love my pipes so much. I was born with hip dysplasia. Had my first major reconstruction done when I was 17 and am scheduled for a full replacement on June 25th of the other hip. I too spend my days in almost unrelenting pain and sitting outside where it's quiet and cool and enjoying the ritual of loading and charring and relighting my pipe and then sipping away at it really does take the mind off of unpleasant things. Cheers to you brother, you aren't alone!

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
All the best Jonah, it does make a big difference in your "quality of life". It may be all in the mind, but that's your best place to handle pain. I've got a patch and the bottle of Oxy, but the pipe handles the break-through pain like nothing else.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Yup - pain management & alleviation is definitely one of the reasons I went back to pipe smoking after a long hiatus. Problems I picked up in Southeast Asia in the '60's that I thought I would eventually outgrow have only gotten worse with age.
There is nothing like a relaxing time with a favourite pipe to take your mind off your troubles. :puffy:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Excellent post Dragon. I think that's one of the things that's so great about pipe smoking - it takes your mind off of the many problems we all face. It's relaxing and engaging at the same time—truly enjoyable.
All the best to you guys, Dragon and Jonah too.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Slightly off subject but my dad had some pretty bad joint and back issues after the Gulf War. He could not get out of bed without out a pill. Hell that didn't always work. After retiring from the military he ran into a civilian doctor who recommended a hot tub. He got a 2 person Hot Tube and has not taken a pill since. This was about 15-20 years ago. He get's in for about 30 minutes in the morning and at night and has little to no pain. Just a thought.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Thank you for sharing a perspective on pipe smoking that I have never heard discussed or have even considered. It is wonderful that you have found a means of pain management that does not rely solely on pharmaceuticals. I love to hear about people who take quality of life issues into their own hands. Best of luck.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Two broken disc in my back, two knees that need replacing, and serious headaches from a motorcycle wreck years ago.

My Grandfather told me that old men need to hurt - it makes dying not so bad. Think I'll wait a little on that one.
My sympathies are with you. Light a bowl tonight, and I'll do the same and think of you.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Well put dragon. I have gotten two spinal injections so far for a much milder back injury than yours. They are definitely not much comfort for those two days afterward. The whole pipe process does a lot to take a persons mind off of their troubles and focusing on the pipe certainly helps to forget the pain somewhat. It's a beautiful thing. :puffy:

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Yep eastern, been doing the hottub for 30 years. Worked well the first ten, but streaming hot water only helps 28 compound fractures to a point. The pipe actaully helps more and can walk around without the junk waving about 8O

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Craig, great post. The pipe has been a huge factor for me these last 7 months or so with my back issues. It definitely helps take your mind off the pain and it does go well with opiates. lol Glad to hear you are getting some relief with the pipe, anything that helps is a good thing.

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
You would never know it by looking at me, but I have Tourette's Syndrome. To never be able to quiet or retreat into your mind is its own kind of Hell. However, everything about pipe smoking helps tremendously. The pipe allows me to meditate and focus my thoughts or silence them altogether and just be able to soak in the environment. The pipe has helped many a man and I truly believe it to be a gift from the Almighty Hisself to help relieve a little of our suffering.

Status
Not open for further replies.