PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I suppose that some folks only smoke pipes.I know that some folks (encluding myself) who smoke pipes most of the time also smoke a cigar now and then.A lot of folks only smoke cigars.One thing that I've noticed in recent trips to smoke shops.It seems to me that for every person in there smoking a pipe there's three or four smoking cigars.Any one here have an idea what the ratio of cigar smokers vs pipe smokers is.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I asked Skip that same question a while back. (Skip is the owner of The Briary. My local B&M.)

He said that his store may be the exception, but about 70% of his business is pipe related.

He does have a large selection of cigars and moves a considerable quantity.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
From what I've heard from the owner of my local B&M,a fair amount of business comes from cigars, though those that smoke pipes are constant customers.
What I gathered from it is, a lot of people buy a cigar ever once in a while, but it's the pipe smoker who is always coming back.

toehead

Lurker
Jun 8, 2011
Lawrence, I have to agree. Whenever I think of Pipes in Birmingham, I think of the Briary. I forget that they even sell cigars.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
My B&M sells mostly high priced cigars. There was a smallish selection of pipes and almost a token shelf filled with overpriced house blends and smallish, dubious tins. However, The Store was also stocked with loads of egotistical jackasses who wanted to yap about football, the ball and chain at home, and their stockmarket portfolios - while watching the most mind numbing garbage on the store big screen TV.
They used to wonder why I used to smoke my "cigar" outside. "What does he think about?" they wondered. I could have easily told them...but I was too polite.
With the escalating CA tax prices on cigars and a never ending influx of egotists. I, with alacrity, fled to my beautiful home - where I quietly enjoy my pipe. If I want a cigar these days - I just light a tobacco blend with cigar leaf in it. May not be the actual thing (a fine cigar) - but the trade off is worth it to me.

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I smoke the occasional cigar, mostly when I visit my hometown, and I always enjoy it. However, cigars are too spendy for the amount of smoking I partake in.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I think I'm 50/50 on cigars and pipes. I have always just loved a good cigar. I'm personally a big fan of Kristoff, Tatuaje, and Camacho triple-maduro cigars, but smoke a wide variety of brands. My local B&M said she sells about 60/40 with the 60 going to cigars. I still find 40 to be pretty high for pipes though.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
I don't patronize a local B&M because the selection of pipe tobaccos I have found is very limited. I prefer to conduct my tobacco purchases via internet retailers or directly from Jack Peterson or C&D. I always have a box of Partagas Black Labels in my cellar so I don't need to go out to buy a stick if I want to smoke one. Cigars are also internet vendor purchased. I concur with comments made by my friend Clanobucklin insofar as planting ones ass in a B&M so I never go that route either.
I believe more guys go for cigars than pipes for several reasons. First they don't make the effort to purchase or maintain pipes because they do not appreciate their beauty. Secondly I think many men gravitate toward a tough exterior rather than a polished one. Pipe smokers don't look tough. We are definitely a more genteel group. Just think of Cary Grant and then think of Tony Sopprano. A cigar in Cary's mouth would look as silly as a pipe in Tony's.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I probably average 4 cigars a day to 2-3 pipes a day. I an seeing more cigar smokers turning to pipes over the past year. Overall, I'd say that the pipe trend is on the upslope while cigars remain somewhat steady.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
When you take a customer hunting , fishing or golfing a cigar makes more sense . A well made cigar lasts over a hour . You get a cool wooden box to put stuff in . They can be smoked in the wind . Sigmund Freud phallic stage .

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
I started out with cigars and made my way to pipes because of the variety and economy. I still enjoy cigars from time to time, but they're just too expensive to smoke regularly.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
For me, it was mostly time that made me switch. I can't stand to waste a $10-$15 cigar by not fully enjoying it, but wow, they take some time. With the pipe, the time is pretty much up to me.

One of my local cigar shop employees said that I would never enjoy smoking a pipe. Boy, was he wrong and the only "never" was that I haven't been back since. In my introduction, I stated enjoying cigars, but I never formed a relationship with a cigar that I enjoy with my budding pipe collection. The more I hold and smoke them, the stronger that statement feels.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
I enjoy a fine Cuban cigar from time to time but the price and the hobby keep me smoking a pipe more often.

Jun 17, 2011
I used to smoke cigars all the time, someone mentioned the idea the pipe smoking was very simular and in the long run could be cheaper, so one day i gave it a shot, didnt mind it, quit pipes for a about a year.. got back into it, got a few better pipes then the basket pipe i got for $20 and some better tobacco, now I love it, my ratio have gone to 70% pipe and 30% cigar now...

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
I still love cigars a lot, but smoking a pipe is more enjoyable. Plus buying pipes is the bomb!

Status
Not open for further replies.