Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:   

Pipe Affect Room Note

(23 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ahmed400

Login to Send PM

Does a cheap pipe make room note bad ?, and does good pipe make the room note pleasant ?

and does the pipe affect the taste of the tobacco ?

whats the best pipe to smoke from if it affect the room note ?

Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Slow down cowboy

Does a cheap pipe make room note bad ?

Are we talking about the sewer pipes?

and does good pipe make the room note pleasant ?

A smoking pipe is a tool to burn your tobacco and smoke it. Quality of a pipe (as well as its shape, material, shank diameter, etc.) can affect, sometimes even can alter the taste of a pipe tobacco however it is going to be so minor you (or any other beginner) won't even notice that. Regarding the room note, no.

whats the best pipe to smoke from if it affect the room note ?

The pipe you own.

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. admiral

admiral

Login to Send PM

Slow down cowboy

Does a cheap pipe make room note bad ?
    Are we talking about the sewer pipes?

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah, the days when the world was big and full of wonders!

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

sumusfumus

Login to Send PM

ahmed400

Most of your questions were asked about the quality of the pipe. The short answer is just smoke the pipe you own. Almost any briar pipe will smoke reasonably well, but of course better quality pipes might give you a better smoking experience. Corn Cob pipes are said to give great smoking pleasure, as do some lower-priced briar pipes. Don't worry too much about the pipe. Room note comes from what tobaccos you smoke.

Tobacco blends and room note....Cheaper blends are usually, but not always, aromatics, and have a very pleasant room note. The wife, and others-who-must-be-pleased usually like soft-smelling tobaccos, and will probably not like the smoke from blends containing Latakia, cigar leaf, etc. Many think both of these tobaccos are very unpleasant to sniff. There are also straight tobacco blends that produce a very pleasant room note and without all the fake flavorings, and toppings.

BTW...."Tobacco Reviews" has "room note" ratings for most tobacco blends. A good place to start looking for blends with pleasant room notes.

Have fun pipe-smoking. I like your enthusiasm...and do try to find a blend that pleases YOU... as well as others. You will find it.

Happy hunting.

Frank

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have had a Peterson that made everything I smoked in it taste awful. It had a green woody taste. I also have a Nording Valhalla that my wife complains about the smell every time I smoke it, no matter what I smoke in it, but I don't smell it while smoking it. I also notice that some of my pipes enhance the flavor of the tobacco for certain blends, and other pipes I think enhances the rest.

In a one word answer, no/yes, I don't think it's the "quality" of the pipes from an engineering perspective, but the "quality" of the briar used.

We get so used to the aroma of warm briar as pipe smokers that we don't notice it any more. But, yes it does add a significant flavor, IMO. Just as the flavor of a cigar touching the lips adds that special cigar flavor to the experience that we miss when using our pipes to smoke cigar leaf, plus the aroma of the briar is added in.

It's always interesting, in the past when I have posted about this, so many guys never noticed the aromas of the briar before. To me, it is what adds that "pipey" smell to the smoke. You don't get that from any other method of using tobacco. But, YMMV.

Does that help?

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

It's always interesting, in the past when I have posted about this, so many guys never noticed the aromas of the briar before. To me, it is what adds that "pipey" smell to the smoke. You don't get that from any other method of using tobacco. But, YMMV.

Totally agree with this one.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Could also explain why not everyone likes cobs, despite their immense utility.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

As the one who loves and appreciates the aroma of the briar, I love my MM cobs more than my briars. Nothing can replace the taste of the Royal Yacht in an MM Diplomat 5th Ave.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is exactly why I don't like cobs. I grow the crap. They constantly remind me of that underlying fragrance of the field, the rotting stalks, the trucks, silo, the combines, the way my boots smell after walking the field. And, it's not a good smell to me. It's not like fresh popcorn or cornbread, but like the part that is inedible and disgusting.

I keep a few cobs on hand. But, I never enjoy them or have the same passion about smoking them, like other guys seem to do.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. admiral

admiral

Login to Send PM

As the one who loves and appreciates the aroma of the briar, I love my MM cobs more than my briars. Nothing can replace the taste of the Royal Yacht in an MM Diplomat 5th Ave.

Strange thing when you right Magnum Opus it comes up like Royal Yacht. Very strange keyboard problem you have there

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

They constantly remind me of that underlying fragrance of the field, the rotting stalks, the trucks, silo, the combines, the way my boots smell after walking the field.

Are you sure you were smoking tobacco?

Strange thing when you right Magnum Opus it comes up like Royal Yacht. Very strange keyboard problem you have there

OK, we have a new blend fan!

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was Carter Hall, so... I'm not sure.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

It was Carter Hall, so... I'm not sure.

Is that a red sniper dot on your forehead?

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha, is Didi online?

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"so many guys never noticed the aromas of the briar before."

Perhaps that is down to cake in the bowl? No matter how thin, I would imagine any amount of cake would inhibit any alleged briar 'flavours' coming through into the smoke.

But then I've only smoked a pipe for two years so am still effectively a newbie.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think it is linked to the room note effect. Can a fish smell the water? What does oxygen smell like? Why is it that you can only smell your house when you have returned from being gone for a long time? Do my neighbors not realize that their house stinks? We are acclimated to the aromas.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. admiral

admiral

Login to Send PM

Just dont go there
    Any minute now someone will mention about smelling your own breath or fart or whatever and here we go

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Any minute now someone will mention about smelling your own breath or fart or whatever and here we go"

Actually I have often wondered why one's own farts never smell nearly as offensive as those of everyone else

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

Pipe does affect room note. Cake really affects room note

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Actually I have often wondered why one's own farts never smell nearly as offensive as those of everyone else

In Azerbaijan we say, nobody would call his own yogurt sour.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You know ... if room note is all you care about ahmed400, you can always get an air freshener

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. gecko13

gecko13

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Cosmic "Do my neighbors not realize that their house stinks? We are acclimated to the aromas." To that I'll add; the pig farmers in Iowa are very lucky and happy for that bodily mechanism.

@ahmedD400:
    To hit on a couple of points that originated this string. A specific pipe, chamber dimension, wall thickness, material, etc. will make a significant difference in taste and burn. Also not mentioned but has influence in this is the moisture content of the tobacco.

I have some pipes that are great for flake, but not so much for other forms. I have one Peterson that seems to make everything taste good. I have no scientifically collected evidence to support this, except observation, but with some pipes burning cooler, the taste is better, and I'd argue the aroma may also be influenced by the burning "cooking" temp.

As for "the best pipe", that's like being in a gun fight and being asked which gun do you prefer.....the one I'm using at the moment is my favorite. As you collect more pipes you'll assign some to different duties, and a few will be your workhorse favorites. The corn cob is and probably always will be a good, reliable, and low cost (I don't like to say cheap, because while low cost, it has high value) go to pipe. Just about everything tastes great and burns well in them. I mostly use them with codger blends ( SWR, Half and Half, Carter Hall, etc.)

Just my 2 cents worth, not adjusted for inflation, and has no trade value.

"To Learn Who Rules You, Find Out Who You Can't Criticize" Voltaire

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pipebaum81, cigrmaster, jpmcwjr, davet, lightxmyfire, ashdigger, alaskanpiper, jfred, mso489, tbradsim1, cossackjack, workman