PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
I in no means have expensive pipes,
I have a couple of savinellis. and everyone told me to only smoke deertougue in one pipe... which I did and really enjoy it. My question is this:
Does the pipe make a difference? I know im new but my cheap Amazon pipe smokes great! Im failing to see the difference from a "good pipe" and a "amazon" pipe. What qualifies a pipe as good?

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
How the pipe smokes is also down to the individual. The packing, sipping, and other factors play a roll. I could get nothing from one pipe, but another more experienced piper could get a whole array of flavors.
What Amazon pipe are you speaking of?

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Good pipes can be $5-$5000. Expensive pipes are $$$.
Good pipes: they smoke well, burn cool, no gurgle, clench nice, appeal to you.
Does the shape of a pipe change the way it smokes? Yes. Is it a huge difference? Typically, no.
Can two pipes of the same shape, from the same manufacturer smoke and taste differently? Yes.
In short, if the pipe appeals to you, and smokes well, it's a good pipe. Your odds of a good pipe, tend to be better with higher priced ones, but typically you are paying for name and fit and finish. For instance, I have several high end Peterson spigots and hinged lids. They smoke great. I also have a handful of no name 'basket' pipes that smoke great. The Peterson high end ones are blingy, the basket pipes are dull and the grain is not as impressive, but it does not effect the smokeablity.
Buy what you like.

I am not sure what an Amazon pipe is. Don't they sell, Savinelli and Stanwells on Amazon? Is there an Amazon brand?
A good pipe doesn't have to cost a fortune. A $50 bucket pipe may turn out to be a better smoker than a Dunhill.
Some guys equate cost with quality, and in some regards it sometimes turns out that way. But, like a car or bicycle, you also bring your skills to the pipe. And, I have seen young men blow away high dollar carbon bikes on the trail while riding on a Walmart bike. An expert driver in a Pinto, could blow away a dumbass in a Mercedes.
As to deertongue, if you like that stuff, smoke it in whatever you want to smoke it in. If you really love it, smoke it in your best pipe. It's yours, you can do with the pipes whatever you want.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Amazon Pipe = Made in China pipe.
I looked at some of the listings and most are Made in China pipes with dubious descriptions of the wood. For example, a couple of reddish colored pipes were described as being made from Ebony Wood. Ebony Wood is black. A couple were said to be made from rosewood. Some of them comes with screens to put in the bottom of the bowls. My only knowledge of pipes that need screens in the bowl are pipes not used for smoking tobacco.

justdafacts

Lurker
Oct 31, 2017
I have been smoking a pipe for almost 2 years now, so perhaps still kind of a rookie, however, I have managed to purchase 6 pipes. I have a Baraccini, Stanwell, Luca Vanetti, and a Peterson. They have all been extremely great smoking pipes for me. When I started out, I purchased a $25 Corleone Architect Online. It is made of undetermined wood, because the seller only represents Rosewood Finish. Anyways, I still work this pipe in to my rotation. It is not a bad smoking pipe at all. I appreciate my $100+ Peterson pipe, and it is absolutely wonderful I enjoy smoking it, but I also do not dislike smoking an evening bowl in my Cheap $25 Rosewood Finish "China made" pipe, which seems to smoke well. I suspect the difference is going to be how long it will last me. I have already seen some wear and imperfections around the bowl, especially around the rim where it comes close to the flame when lighting. Just my observations, experiences and 2 cents on this topic.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
I just meant what differs an estate or any high dollar pipe, from the cheap "learn to smoke" on amazon... What difference does the pipe make is what I guess I mean.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I found a link somewhere here to a YouTube video. As a new piper he was advising against spending money on pipes and buy good tobaccos instead.
“Spend your money on tobacco, not pipes” was his message. I myself bought a bunch of $100 - $200 pipes and if I had to do it all over again, I would have taken this guys advice. Get the basics down, wake up your taste buds, try a bunch of different tobaccos and worry about high end pipes later.
I’ll try and find the link.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The pipe's material and construction make a large difference in how it actually smokes. Price often has a bearing, sometimes not, and I am not referring to collector items, which may be seen as a separate category.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
Gotcha, thanks all...
I hear ya rdavid. I bought a couple of $100 dollar ones, I thought maybe I was doing something wrong since, my cheap pipe smoked as good as the others.. So much to learn.... at least its a great journey!!!!

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Many times, the price of a state pipe is given by it's availability and age. A pipe from the 20's might be very expensive as a collector's item, but not necesarily a great smoker.
Different people value different aspects.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
I dont think the Price of a Pipe makes a difference after a certain point is reached and Savinelli etc. make some fine pipes for a budget. What you pay more for is mostly wood selection and handmade stems, wich add something in terms of comfort and looks but your budget pipe giving proper drilling, is ot going to smoke "bad" in any way shape or form, given proper drilling, wich you should be able to check before buying. The way I see it, a more expansive pipe just makes duds or bad smokers less likely ,but given care, you will find some very good budget smokers.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
...but your budget pipe giving proper drilling, is not going to smoke "bad" in any way shape or form, given proper drilling, which you should be able to check before buying.
What you wrote above is correct except that proper drilling does not assure a good smoke; it's only one prerequisite.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
Agreed, of course there a douzens of other factors , but in my personal experience drilling is a rather important one^^.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I hope I didn't indicate otherwise!
And there aren't dozens of factors regarding just how it smokes. Good wood, cured right, drilled properly, is all that's needed for a good smoker. Now, there are many dozen other factors when you bring in personal tastes, aesthetics, stem feel, etc. I won't even mention "engineering"! :)

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
My first 2 briar pipes were from Amazon. Fulushou or something was the name on them. They smoke great, especially considering I was rough on them starting out.
The most expensive pipe I have is a hardcastle bulldog which is a great pipe but does it smoke better than the Amazon pipe? Not really, as long as you like it it's a good pipe.
Mr. Brog pipes can be hit and miss. I have 2 that are great, bought a 3rd and it cracked first use. Thankfully Mr. Brog refunded me for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.