PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Anybody else here use Pinterest to document their pipes or whatever?
http://pinterest.com/NathanJakeAllen/smoke-liquor-pipe-smoking-is-cool/

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
My brother-in-law said that he was checking something out on Pinterest one time. My EVIL wife and sister started laughing at him and said that it was for women. After that I was scarred for life that my Testosterone will run in fear. So to be honest I don't even know what its all about.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I think it's a great tool for whatever. I use it whenever I get new stuff... And what guy doesn't love new stuff?!?

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
My mother, grandmother, aunts, female cousins, and ex-girlfriends would agree that it's a "great tool". :roll:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
This is all the first I've heard about the gender thing. Obviously you've never given it a look. You should.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I use my tablets 90% of the time on line. Pinterest just has two much Java script to run smoothly on 'em. Plus I run ad block software and that site loves its ads. So no.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Ads? I run it off my iPhone and MacBook and there aren't any ads.... Zero. I think it's the app your using, not Pinterest.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
I do use Pinterest to keep track of interesting pipe references: http://www.pinterest.com/errebepe/pipe/
(nice board, iamn8. Following).
Not really to document my pipes, though. Pinterest is not really made for that. Like Pylorns, I'm using my own app for that :)

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I know that my wife and daughter use it, but I can't figure out what it is and why I would want to use it as a pipe smoker
Echie, when I clicked on your hyperlink it immediately wanted me to sign up or I was locked out.
What's it about?

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
Allan, that seems to be Pinterest's doing. Sorry about that :(
The board is public. I didn't know they restricted access to only a few items, and then required users to log in.
You can hack it, though :) If you are comfortable with the Browser's Javascript console (on Chrome+Mac, it's Cmd-Alt-J), type the following there:

Code:
$(".UnauthBanner").hide()<br />
$(".hasFooter.Grid.Module").removeAttr("style")

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
As to why you'd use Pinterest, its main purpose is as a place to find and store references. This can be for practical or purely inspirational purposes.
For instance, I pin images of pipes and pipe-related photos I like to that board. I don't really consult it when looking for new pipes or new tobacco, but I like looking at it from time to time to remind myself of what's out there. I also browse other people's pins for the same reason (and here I might definitely get inspired to look for something specific to buy).
On the other hand, I have a woodworking board where I pin ideas to use on my own work, and as references of techniques that I want to learn.
And so on. My wife is a designer and uses it regularly. It took me a long time to figure out what the point was, but now that I do it can be handy.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Well there are more than I thought... for either creating a list of pipes you have, want, or just were inspired by, Pinterest is a cool tool utilized by LOTS of pipe aficionados. Give it a chance, check out my link and move on from there. I use it, in this case, to keep a log of pipes I've aquired. Think of it as a sort of yearbook for adults... or not ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.