PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoothsailing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2013
Perth N.Y. (Adirondack area )
I realized this isn't factory and I really don't understand "Bling" in general. I've seen pimp my ride and thought there's a waste of time and Chip Foose's destruction of preserved classic cars, it all seems a little ridiculous. I guess classic muscle was always more appealing to me.
Now pimp my pipe? I'm not a fan , I've seen altered pipes in the past and some are interesting if not better then they were before , but I feel this is not an improvement.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/252120142426

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I love well done silver work on pipes particularly if it lends support/strength for the shank. But this is just not attractive. Could the ladies weigh in on this? Is there something us old farts are missing?

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Pipe bling can be problematic. I like a touch of elegance, e.g. a bone or brass band. However, I'm not fond of the plastic looking color bands, e.g., the Savinelli Caramella. For me, I've probably skipped more pipes because of bling than I have bought pipes because of bling.
On the other hand, I do like some of it very much.
Savinelli's 316 is a good example of restrained bling.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoy the pimped pipe as a piece of humor, but that pipe absolutely requires an audience. When a pipe embodies a certain degree of theater, it's not for solitary smoking. You take that baby to a pipe club or pipe show and you must not let on that you know there is anything the least bit unusual about your pipe, and just wait for the double takes and other reactions. It's a real piece of mischief. Best if you are long known for perfectly traditional stogy pipes.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
To my eye, the beauty of a pipe is in the wood, wether it be grain or blasting or rustication, and the execution of the carving. My eye doesn't appreciate sparklies or shinies overmuch.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
I agree with Brass. Just the right touch of bling is classier.
This is the pipe I stick in my pocket for more formal occasions. Blue alligator Sav.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Looks like a pipe that Liberace would have loved had he been a pipe smoker. :roll:

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
Hahahahaha! Funny. Oddly enough, though, I'd like to own one like that. Just to look weirder than people already think I am, if nothing else.

MSO489 is right; this pipe deserves an audience. And an unwitting one, at that.

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
$3000!!!!! Holy crap! I looked at the ebay link. Are they serious? Are these real jewels? I thought somebody just bedazzeled the thing. Got a pipe I don't use much that I'm thinking of bedazzeling now.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Like they say sometimes less is more. I do not mind some contrast but I agree with MSO. I believe this one was not made for a solitary smoke. For $3000 a guy could have a rack full of braggin rights pipes. 8O

Kudos for whoever did that, although it's still just a Peterson, ha! I like to jewel up my pipes also, and at the NOLA pipe show, I had to fend off various attempts to buy my personal pipes as I was smoking them. But, after I've altered one of my pipes for myself, I have no intentions of selling them. Well... unless the price is right. Everyone has their price, right?

Personally, I'm not a fan of just randomly sticking set stones all over the bowl. But, this guy must have liked the idea. Good on him. Or her.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I think the term’ pimp’, or more aptly put: ‘pimped’ is a very apropos term for this pipe. Nothing wrong whatsoever with accenting a pipe, but this looks more like a candelabra more than a pipe and I personally would never be caught smoking such a thing in public no matter what the occasion or social setting might be. That is unless of course I dressed like a pimp, and or the aforementioned Liberace. I guess I’m just one of those who thinks less is more. Hey... whatever floats your boat as that is all that really matters.
Here is the perfect match for someone who would absolutely love to have and be seen with this pipe in public. :wink:
KUxftg3.jpg

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
I think it's ridiculous and it's a smack in the face to exceptional carvers and pipe makers in our history. "Any fool can use duct tape, it takes a man knowing what he is doing to build it."

Status
Not open for further replies.