Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
After seeing a poster elsewhere showing his pipes by Jan Pietenpauw I began looking for one in earnest but they proved to be scarcer than hen's teeth. I saw one being offered and contacted the fellow I just spoke about to get his thoughts on the pipes value and it has reached that so I continued my search. As luck would have it one of Jan's customers, and friend, offered him some pipes back to sell for him and I nabbed this beauty.
9050750317_e38e1a3833_b.jpg

9052979088_7612649c98_b.jpg

9050750585_28a1123ebc_b.jpg

Reactions: Puff nstuff

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
An intriguing piece of work, not quite like anything else. I like the intricate carving, not so much

the rustication on the bowl, which is a little rough. What nationality is the carver?

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
That's not a representative of his shape, which is why it's interesting to me, these are more of what he does.
canted-dublin-09.jpg

green-pot-02.jpg

little-bulldog-08.jpg

pointy-04.jpg

acorn-rhodie-01.jpg

9027121345_2df8d87004_o.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
I have heard the name. I believe he's south african. I like the bottom one above. The one you chose is interesting, and for that reason alone I am oddly attracted to it, but I can certainly see why others don't feel the love.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
He used to be very active on another forum I visit from time to time (he may still be as I rarely get over there anymore). Nice guy... Always willing to offer help and insght. He'd fit in here quite well.
-Jason

doverpipes

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2011
"Jan Pietenpauw & Son" is actually the "brand". Jean C. du Toit is the man behind the pipe. He is from South Africa and has been one of the best kept secrets in the pipe world. Jean's work spans many different styles. He takes great care to turn out very high quality pipes, that quite frankly, should be priced higher than they are. If you check out his website and look at the "gallery", you can see a better representation of his work. http://www.pietenpauw.co.za/index.php/gallery
You can see several of my pipes that I received from Jean in the galleries. Some were commissioned, some were purchased from his site, E-Bay, or were gifted to me by Jean himself. Check out "Rusticated 7" aka "The Dover Rhodie" & "Frederick Selous" under the "Explorers" section.
I'll see if I can get Jean to post in this thread. I'm sure he'd like to hear what you think about his work. In the meantime, if you have any questions about Jan Pietenpauw & Son Pipes, feel free to shoot me a PM. I chat with Jean quite often and I can forward any questions that you may have (If I can't answer them myself).

Status
Not open for further replies.