PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
A new TV show for 2017 from AMC, The Son, has Pierce Brosnan smoking what looks like Peterson in the promo photo.
NnWAeiJ.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Is this a historical drama or set in the present? If it is historical, that may decrease its impact, with the pipe being a historical prop, but it it's set in the present, it might be a trend setter.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Read the book a good while ago. 13 yr old boy gets captured by Commanches, after they slaughtered his family, learns their ways, and sickness in tribe forces him to leave, and go back to his white roots. IMHO it is as great or greater than GIANT and wondered why it never was made into a movie.

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
Can't wait till my wife gets home to tell her that someone posted pierce brosnan needs to man up she'll absolutely die laughing. Say what you will chicks dig him

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I could take him or leave him, but after seeing his western Serphim Falls I changed my opinion, damn good western, so I think, great book, good actor I"ll watch.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I just watched an old Pierce Brosnan film, Grey Owl.

It's an interesting story based upon true events about Archibald Belaney, an Englishman who becomes quite an adventurer, popular writer of nature stories, and tells people he's an Indian.

Of all the English 'accented' actors...I think I like Michael Caine, although Connery was fun to hear, too.

The amazing thing about people from Great Britain is that they always seem to put the accent on entirely the wrong syllable. It always gets my attention to hear the differences of the English language.

Archibald Belaney is buried @ Prince Albert National Park in Canada.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
after seeing his western Serphim Falls I changed my opinion

Me too. I used to think he was a skinny, pale fluff that women loved because he had an accent. Found out he is 6'2" and built like a linebacker. When I was watching Seraphim Falls I didn't even recognize him at first. The guy could take me apart in a barroom fight.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sounds familiar, like a book I read as a kid, per Brad's post. But IMDB stresses very different treatment:
A multi-generational epic telling of the story of America's birth as a superpower through the bloody rise and fall of one Texas oil empire.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
As to great Brit accents, and a variety of them, you can't beat Peter Sellars. A genius. Or John Cleese, also a variety. And Connery is a Scot, not English!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's some more info: (Variety)
Charting the rise and fall of a Texas oil empire, the Sonar Entertainment series is described as a multi-generational drama about the country’s growth into a superpower. It is an adaptation of Philipp Meyer’s book that is penned by Meyer, Lee Shipman and Brian McGreevy. Kevin Murphy is showrunner and exec producer with Meyer, Shipman, McGreevy and Sonar’s Jenna Glazier. AMC has ordered 10 episodes.

Dec 24, 2012
I had the pleasure of meeting him a few years back at a party for a charity event for uterine cancer that a client of mine organized (Mr. Brosnan's first wife dies from uterine cancer). I found him to be incredibly pleasant and we had a good long discussion. The conversation really perked up when I mentioned that my favourite film of his was his western Seraphim Falls. In jest he told me that he thought I was one of about twelve people that actually saw that movie. Now I know that Bradley was also one of those, lol.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
(Mr. Brosnan's first wife dies from uterine cancer)
Brosnan's daughter from that marriage died from ovarian cancer, so I can see how highly invested in such a cause he could be. For the most part, I've enjoyed his career, loved him in Stephen King's "Bag of Bones", so will likely give "The Son" a chance.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've seen him in a bunch of roles starting with Remington Steele and always thought he came across as a twit, and I always thought his portrayal of 007 was a three-way tie with Dalton and Lazenby. I still hold that opinion, however all three of their portrayals now rank above Craig's travesty, although his stint in last place will no doubt be short-lived if the rumors are true Elba will replace him.

Status
Not open for further replies.