PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2011
It is crazy to me to see all the devastations of different types going on just within our own country. On one side you have extreme drought drying everything up and killing everything but the same day on the other coast you have extreme flooding and torrential down pours wiping away everything and killing everything in its path. My thoughts and prayers go out to both situations.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Wow.
And here I am in Miami, praying that the end of the rainy season is in sight.
Hard to appreciate that just a few hundred miles across the Gulf, you all are dealing with such a deep and persistent drought.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Wow, that is horrible! We're under severe drought conditions here as well, but nothing compared to what you guys are going through. I'll be praying you guys get the rain you need.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
WOW, I knew it was bad but I didn't know it was like that. So sorry for You.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I was in Gillespie county a few weeks back and its bad. Some ranches holding too much livestock are just plain eaten to the ground, acres of dirt and not a bit of grass to be seen. Oak trees cover the hills down there, but half of them are dried up, leaves turned red and fall right off at a touch. Most of them will come back with some rain, but a lot of them are just gone.

The 400 acres we hunt is ok, but the grass is eaten to nubs and the rancher is feeding hay twice a week just to keep 25 cows fed. Its bad.

Baskerville, your family in Garland is fine. We're not doing too bad up here, but I'll swing by and check on em if you'd like :puffy:

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
We are getting truck loads of Texas cattle for sale here. Texas cattlemen will be years recovering from this. The horrible part of this drought is if it continues on into next year. Droughts like this seem to be cyclical and not limited to a single year occurance. :(

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Droughts like this seem to be cyclical and not limited to a single year occurance
Bad thing is, they just came out of several bad years down there. One good year, now this. If they dont get good rain this winter its really going to be a disaster.

Those pictures Portas linked to pretty well tell the story.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
In the Houston area you can count the dead trees as you go down the road . In the last four months I have gotten 2inchs of rain at my home . My neighborhood which is known for beautiful lamws and lush landscaping is a tan mess . La Ninja can go away anytime it is ready . And yall thought I was joking when I told you I lost my dog in a dry mud crack . Out at the ranch in west Texas near Segovia the creek has all but dried up . And I dont think we will be getting any Pecans this year . This happens pretty regular over time . here is a link. http://doublehelixranch.com/FlyGapRainTrends.html
Edit: I fixed the link for you because I thought it important to do so.

Lawrence

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
We went for nearly a month here without a drop of rain then Lee left us over 6 inches over one night.

I will never complain about a brown lawn again...

Igloo I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

I was unaware of your tragedy.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
We could make an argument for smokers HAVING to smoke inside local businesses because of the drought.
I'm not a farmer or anything but in San Antonio we get our water from an Aquaifer. And are currently in stage 2 water restrictions. And yet all the old retired farts who don't give a flip water their lawns like it's no tomorrow.
It's just sad to see so much waste in the middle of a drought. I even heard from a co-worker that watches way too much news that San Antonio was even hauling in water from other areas and adding it to the Aquifer so that they would not have to impose higher water restrictions. Sounds odd, but we live in an old world.
Stay tough all ye drought affected. Pray for rain while you smoke safely (good excuse to buy wind caps).

Status
Not open for further replies.